anesthesia rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Gsurg program has a month-long anesthesia rotation for R2s. Anyone else have similar? What benefits have people seen from this? Beyond airway management, any clinical benefit? Vacation...? Sleep? What other nonGsurg rotations does anyone care to comment on?

Members don't see this ad.

In my program we spend 4 weeks as an intern on anesthesia. It is pretty much a vacation, but was pretty helpful for airway management, kind of a tune up for your ICU time. I took step 3 at the end of that month and luckily I didn't study too much. It pretty much reinforces your desire to be on the other side of the curtain, or tells you it is time to get out.

Skialta

My program specifically prohibits anesthesia rotations due to fear of the residents quitting for anesthesiology. They also prohibit rotations in the subspecialties, mostly because they are jerks.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a month-long anesthesia rotation as well.... and yeah, it's mostly vacation. You learn a little about airway management, drugs, monitoring, that kind of stuff, but they don't actually assign us to a room more than one day a week, and if you don't show up the other days no one really notices. I used the time to go to the ACS Clinical Congress, pre-study for the ABSITE, start getting in shape just in time to lose it all during two months of SICU, etc. Not so educational, but a nice break in the middle of second year.

Anesthesia was the best of times and the worst of times. It was great because like mentioned above I took a lot of days off which allowed me to sleep in and get other stuff done. However, when I was there it was absolutely miserable. Too much standing around, BS'ing with the anesthesiologists, begging CRNAs to let me intubate, and basically serving the role of a medical student. It's hard to go from operating and being second in command in the room, to having a CRNA rag on you about your bag/mask technique.

I could never do anesthesia, however it would definitely be a good field for people who like to hang out and shoot the dung with everyone all day, while planning schedules, meetings, stocks, and homelife plans in between cases.

My program specifically prohibits anesthesia rotations due to fear of the residents quitting for anesthesiology. They also prohibit rotations in the subspecialties, mostly because they are jerks.

At all? Even in the first two years?

Anyone have any nonsurgical rotations? With the need to do so much endoscopy, have any programs done 2-4 weeks of GI anywhere? Still don't know how I'm going to get that much colonoscopy experience...

Anyone have any nonsurgical rotations? With the need to do so much endoscopy, have any programs done 2-4 weeks of GI anywhere? Still don't know how I'm going to get that much colonoscopy experience...

We do a month of endoscopy as either an R-2 or R-3. We have a couple days a week where we scope with the colorectal faculty, but the rest of the time is spent with the gastroenterologists, who like how quickly we pick up the use of the scope and enjoy having us work with them.

anesthesia rotation is a nice vacation month. go in around 7, walk around and see some preop cases, maybe do a tube, then disappear.

they really dont want you around, and you just have to have the balls to realize it and utilize this nice break for your own pleasure.

I dont reccomend that junior residents spend too much time with the CRNA's. CRNA's (at least where I came from ) are pretty decently trained to do most run-of-the-mill cases, and in most cases are more skilled at the practical pharmacology dosages, how to actually DRAW UP meds and even airway management than junior residents. this can be intimidating and lead to a negative experience.

Honestly, just see a few tubes, get someone to let you do a few. learn the basics of epidurals and enjoy your time. also- know at least one set up drugs and dosages for emergency intubation, plus the tube size and what kind of blade you would use.. this was asked on the real boards to someone...

We did all the scopes out at the VA, so I got plenty of upper and lower during internship and 3rd year.

the rest of the time is spent with the gastroenterologists, who like how quickly we pick up the use of the scope and enjoy having us work with them.

GI docs are a useful source of information and training. indeed I scoped with GI as well and learned useful tips. but a very wise man once told me:

if you lay down with dogs- you get up with fleas

I could never do anesthesia, however it would definitely be a good field for people who like to hang out and shoot the dung with everyone all day, while planning schedules, meetings, stocks, and homelife plans in between cases.

thats about the long and short of it.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We had anesthesia. No need to show up. Free vacation time. :sleep: