Anesthesia Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many anesthesiology rotations is too many? I am rotating at my home program for a month during third year. So would 1, 2, or 3 away rotations be ideal? I realize you want to be well rounded and experience as many areas of medicine as possible, but I've heard of students doing 3 or more away rotations in their desired field. Just wondering what constitutes the fine line between being seen at programs you're interested in vs. doing too many rotations in one specialty. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your medical school electives. One is definitely enough. Get a nice letter from someone who knows others in the field, and of course, who you enjoyed working with. If you have decent board scores and a experience in a well respected anesthesia program then you will land a spot wherever you want to. The ultimate goal of your rotation should be to see if you fit into this field. If ya do, then one rotation will be enough. If ya still ain't sure then do another one to solidfy your decision.

I'm going to do two because I really want to go to the 2nd place I am rotating at. Is it necessary to match? No. But I think it will give me a great perspective on the program. Something that I won't be able to receive through an interview only. This is why additional rotations should be done...to find out how you would fit into your ideal program. It shouldn't be done only to land another letter.