Anesthesia Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apma77

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive heard 200k to start then between 300-400 as a partner in general anesthesia. Pain i heard pays between 500-600k in partnership.

what have you guys heard?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems a bit high to me but more power to ya!
Physician salary surveys have been listed in other threads...

Those are accurate numbers based on what I heard from graduating seniors this year. I have a friend who took a job in Portland starting at $300k+ with 1/6 call and 2 months of vacation in his first year. If you need to be in NY/LA/Miami look at starting around $200k and going up from there. Used to be 5 years ago most academic progs wouldnt even hire you without a fellowship but nowadays the job market is so good that they'll take anyone with a board certification and a pulse.

My feelings.. even if I make *half* that when I start I'll be more than happy!

Members don't see this ad :)
lolol, people replied to this thread faster than any other. Well, anyway, the numbers are accurate. Go to www.gaswork.com they post jobs for anesthesiologists and CRNA's. There are listings for about 1000 jobs, 600 of them are permanent, and the rest locum tenems and fellowships. Not all post salaries but those that do seem consistent with that. But keep in mind that for those salaries you are generally required to work harder, q4 call rather than q7 for example. You can also see new grads posting themselves for prospective employers and they list salary demads that are consistent with what you said.

I?ve heard that for anesthesiologists malpractice insurance can be toward the higher end for physicians in general. I?m curious to know how this factors into the question of salary. I know very little about malpractice insurance ? is it analogous to car insurance insofar as individual risk factors raise premiums? For example, is insurance more costly for the younger, less-experienced physician involved with higher-risk procedures? I?m sure the answer is ?yes? but perhaps what I?m curious about more specifically is how drastically these features affect insurance rates...are there people that avoid certain higher risk areas of practice altogether or try and limit the volume of cases to a certain threshold to avoid drastically high rates? Or is insurance figured more generally ? absorbed and shared by the members of a group practice as a whole?

Thanks for any comments.

-Krony

I don't know about anesthesiology in particular, but in general insurance steadily rises for most doctors. The rationale being that the number of patients you treat (in toto) obviously increases over time, thus increasing the number of patients that can turn around and sue you at a later date.