Anesthesias Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Offshore

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of speculation and discussion about the future of many different specialties in this forum, so I thought I'd add my two cents. I don't know much about other specialties but I do think that anesthesia's future is particularly bright. The current decrease in General Surgery interest nonwithstanding, there is more surgery being performed today than ever before. While the number of traditional general surgical procedures have remained the same or decreased slightly, the number of subspecialty surgical procedures has increased dramatically. This trend is particularly true with regards to orthopaedic surgery, gynecologic surgery, endovascular surgery, neurosurgery, ophthamologic surgery, and plastic surgery. In addition to this, people continue to have children and need anesthesia for childbirth and cesaerean sections. Pediatric surgical volume continues to grow exponentially with the development of new techniques, the end result for anesthesia being the creation of an entirely new subspecialty board certification in the field of pediatric anesthesia. Continued next post...

Members don't see this ad.