Anesthesiologist among 2 dead in Tesla crash in Houston suburb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

So.. I'm sure many of you have heard about the bizarre Tesla crash that happened in Houston that left 2 people dead.
One was in the front passenger seat. The other was in the rear passenger seat. Nobody was in the drivers seat.
Apparently the man in the rear passenger seat was the owner of the car and was an anesthesiologist at Memorial Hermann Healthcare System.
Apparently the crash happened mere minutes from his house.
So many questions...

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

So.. I'm sure many of you have heard about the bizarre Tesla crash that happened in Houston that left 2 people dead.
One was in the front passenger seat. The other was in the rear passenger seat. Nobody was in the drivers seat.
Apparently the man in the rear passenger seat was the owner of the car and was an anesthesiologist at Memorial Hermann Healthcare System.
Apparently the crash happened mere minutes from his house.
So many questions...

Worked for USAP I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they put something on the steering wheel to trick it and it fell on the acceleration driving them into a tree. Burned up in the crash. Sad story.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they put something on the steering wheel to trick it and it fell on the acceleration driving them into a tree. Burned up in the crash. Sad story.
They were in a residential neighborhood with no lane markings, and you need markings to engage autopilot. Also, cops said the crash looks like it was at considerable speed and AP won't break the speed limit by more than 5 mph... and there it was just 35 mph. Something not adding up.

They were in a residential neighborhood with no lane markings, and you need markings to engage autopilot. Also, cops said the crash looks like it was at considerable speed and AP won't break the speed limit by more than 5 mph... and there it was just 35 mph. Something not adding up.

Yeah doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe there was a third person in the driver seat?

• Hmm
  • Wow
Well in the movies this would be a hit job. The driver bailed out before the crash and made it look like the Tesla was at fault.

The evidence does suggest there may indeed have been some foul play here.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Well in the movies this would be a hit job. The driver bailed out before the crash and made it look like the Tesla was at fault.

If this is true that's crazy

What enemies did he have? Hmm... Who was he divorcing? Hmmmm.... Who’s woman was he sleeping with? Hmmm.....
What surgeons cases did he cancel? Hmm.... So many questions.
It could've been anything. I think people we're generally crazy prior to last year but the past year has made things go off the rails. Yes, I'm blaming the pandemic for a lot of the recent crazy stuff that's been happening while I certainly acknowledge bad stuff happened in the past. I acknowledge that people around the world have dealt with the horrible effects of the pandemic, but I seriously believe the Americans weren't ready and have had difficulty coping for various reasons and everyone just goes straight to 100 when in a stressful situation or something doesn't go their way. just my 2c

Reactions: 3 users
It could've been anything. I think people we're generally crazy prior to last year but the past year has made things go off the rails. Yes, I'm blaming the pandemic for a lot of the recent crazy stuff that's been happening while I certainly acknowledge bad stuff happened in the past. I acknowledge that people around the world have dealt with the horrible effects of the pandemic, but I seriously believe the Americans weren't ready and have had difficulty coping for various reasons and everyone just goes straight to 100 when in a stressful situation or something doesn't go their way. just my 2c
Agreed. You can feel the tension these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m just gonna wait for the 20/20 episode.

Reactions: 5 users

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

I'd like oto know if alcohol was involved

Reactions: 5 users
It could've been anything. I think people we're generally crazy prior to last year but the past year has made things go off the rails. Yes, I'm blaming the pandemic for a lot of the recent crazy stuff that's been happening while I certainly acknowledge bad stuff happened in the past....
So you're saying COVID19 was the mystery driver!?

motherofgod.jpeg

I honestly don't know what to think in this situation. I think Elon Musk is generally full of @*#& most of the time though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this turned out to be the autopilot thing and Elon Musk just bull@*#ing on twitter about it while his PR department is shaking their heads with their faces in their palms.

Reactions: 3 users
i dont know anything about fires really... but i remember those stupid classes/modules they made us do for work , about fires and extinguishing them. the article says 32000 gallons of water were used to put out the fire bc of reignition. didnt they tell us (at least for in hospital fires), if its related to electrical, to not use water, and instead smother the file with appropriate extinguisher? obviously this is probably different but im curious if firefighters use other stuff other than water...

i dont know anything about fires really... but i remember those stupid classes/modules they made us do for work , about fires and extinguishing them. the article says 32000 gallons of water were used to put out the fire bc of reignition. didnt they tell us (at least for in hospital fires), if its related to electrical, to not use water, and instead smother the file with appropriate extinguisher? obviously this is probably different but im curious if firefighters use other stuff other than water...

Lithium ion batteries are gnarly/nasty beasts. Look up some videos of people’s vape pens spontaneously combusting, then scale that up to a Tesla. They burn insanely hot (note the condition of the wreckage), and adding water will actually make it worse.

Read up on the Conception dive boat tragedy to see how dangerous these batteries can be.

Lithium ion batteries are gnarly/nasty beasts. Look up some videos of people’s vape pens spontaneously combusting, then scale that up to a Tesla. They burn insanely hot (note the condition of the wreckage), and adding water will actually make it worse.

Read up on the Conception dive boat tragedy to see how dangerous these batteries can be.

i know they are dangerous. but what actually IS the correct way to putting these out? i imagine incidence will only go up in near future with more batteries

i know they are dangerous. but what actually IS the correct way to putting these out? i imagine incidence will only go up in near future with more batteries

Dry chemical extinguisher. I’m not sure how you scale that up though.

I think the other big question here (aside from who was driving and whether autopilot was enabled) is how it is possible for a tesla car to just explode and unleash an inferno from a relatively low velocity crash??. I mean If this can happen in a suburban roadway, imagine what could happen if a crash occurred on a freeway! Truly scary!

Why is Musc commenting. He would rather save his company first than allow investigators to let folks think their was not a third person. When folks think they are free thats when they make mistakes. That close to the boarder and you question whether south of the border politics play a role.

One of the challenges with electric vehicles is that when it comes to batteries, we still need an energy quantity and density on the same order as what we get from gasoline. Liquid hydrocarbons are an incredibly dense store of energy, but they're inherently stable. With batteries or supercapacitors, a similar number of Joules are crammed into a similarly small volume under much more precarious circumstances.

Dent a gas tank and you still need to add oxygen and aerosolize the fuel before the energy can be released. The fire can be stopped by depriving it of oxygen. Dent a battery and some junctions get squished together or an anode gets shoved through a cathode and all that energy is released at once, and there's no stopping it until it's done.

• Wow
I think the other big question here (aside from who was driving and whether autopilot was enabled) is how it is possible for a tesla car to just explode and unleash an inferno from a relatively low velocity crash??. I mean If this can happen in a suburban roadway, imagine what could happen if a crash occurred on a freeway! Truly scary!
What was the velocity of this car? Paul walker died on a residential road

Im sorry im a bit hungover this morning, third person in the car? Is that a joke or do ppl think someone jumped out of the car?

This isnt a case of 2 a$$holes joyriding getting their just comeuppance!?!

• Haha

Dry chemical extinguisher. I’m not sure how you scale that up though.

Yes something to encapsulate the fire to prevent reignition.

One of the challenges with electric vehicles is that when it comes to batteries, we still need an energy quantity and density on the same order as what we get from gasoline. Liquid hydrocarbons are an incredibly dense store of energy, but they're inherently stable. With batteries or supercapacitors, a similar number of Joules are crammed into a similarly small volume under much more precarious circumstances.

Dent a gas tank and you still need to add oxygen and aerosolize the fuel before the energy can be released. The fire can be stopped by depriving it of oxygen. Dent a battery and some junctions get squished together or an anode gets shoved through a cathode and all that energy is released at once, and there's no stopping it until it's done.
I don't know all the specifics but not all batteries are the same and should not all be treated the same way.

I googled "How to put out a tesla battery fire" and the very first link is a document from Tesla itself directed towards first and second responders.

It's actually pretty cool info, but the information pertaining to fires actually starts with Section 6, on page 25.

I've quoted the first paragraph of that section for anyone that doesn't want to follow the link:
USE WATER TO FIGHT A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FIRE. If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000- 8,000 gallons (11,356- 30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply early. If water is not immediately available, use CO2, dry chemicals, or another typical fire-extinguishing agent to fight the fire until water is available. NOTE: Tesla does not recommend the use of foam on electric vehicles.

It goes on to say that you need to use infra-red temperature monitors or some other device to monitor battery temperature for at least 45 minutes once the fire is out to make sure the batteries don't reheat above ambient as it could reignite.

If you're interested, it also goes into what Firefighters have to consider if there isn't a fire but the person needs to get extricated - they have to be very careful about cutting the trapped individual out.

Was he gha anesthesiologist before or after the usap 2014 buyout? Considering his age. He got paid a lot by usap in 2014.

Was he gha anesthesiologist before or after the usap 2014 buyout? Considering his age. He got paid a lot by usap in 2014.
And therefore, during his life, he amassed great wealth and died a rich but bitter man.
He always regretted selling his soul and practice to the money hungry men of Wall Street who filled his pockets, but squeezed his balls in return. Unfortunately the second pot of gold promised and sold to him, the great USAP stock, still remains to be seen.

"The result was that Jake Fisher, the outlet's senior director of auto testing, was able to engage Autopilot, bring the car to a stop, climb into the passenger's seat, and bring the car back up to speed from there using a dial on the steering wheel. The Tesla Model Y followed lane markings on Consumer Reports' test track and didn't issue any warning that nobody was behind the wheel.

"In our evaluation, the system not only failed to make sure the driver was paying attention, but it also couldn't tell if there was a driver there at all," Fisher said in the report. "It was a bit frightening when we realized how easy it was to defeat the safeguards, which we proved were clearly insufficient."

Tesla did not return Insider's request for comment. "

There are multiple videos of Tesla’s driving down the road with no one in the driver’s seat.

There are multiple videos of Tesla’s driving down the road with no one in the driver’s seat.

I won't link it but there are plenty of videos of people doing other things in cars while the Tesla drives down the road

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I won't link it but there are plenty of videos of people doing other things in cars while the Tesla drives down the road
Do I need a Premium subscription to said video links?

• Love
“People doing other things?” 🤔 Hmmm, like playing chess?

• Love
Crossword and/or Sudoku. Case closed. (In jest. It was a tragic event and no disrespect meant).

$2 million house for a mid to late career anesthesiologist isn't much. And certainly not with current mortgage rates. I could probably get one now (but I won't because houses jn general are money pits)

Isn't much? I don't know any with a 2m house! Except for those that bought 20 years ago at fraction the cost.

Even if you save 100k a year.. that's 20 years of savings, not even accounting for interest, extra taxes and other fees/cost.

very confusing.

I have been told that certain benefits such as retirement are included.

and I have been told by the hospital admin that is because of tax code. I suspect it is because of this (on page 3 of document):

now this is what I have been told, that my base salary is lower than the average compensation but not if these other items are added... but I am guessing... my salary is commissurate with what is received by people on wRVU models.
Maybe the admin is telling you that because they want to pay you less? It certainly wouldnt be the first time admins try to gaslight physicians

Isn't much? I don't know any with a 2m house! Except for those that bought 20 years ago at fraction the cost.

Even if you save 100k a year.. that's 20 years of savings, not even accounting for interest, extra taxes and other fees/cost.
Well if you're earning 500k/year, you can definitely save much more than that. Additionally, you dont need to pay it off... you just need to make the mortgage payments until you decide to sell it. Then you can typically sell for its appreciated value, cover the rest of your mortgage, and enjoy the profits...