Anesthesiologist fired for wearing PPE in hospital hallways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C4C

Wakes to the Sound of Skin Staples
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete this if it is being followed elsewhere. (I couldn't find it.)

If you ask me, the anesthesiologist is lucky not to have to work any longer in a hospital where the administrators think they can tell a physician about good infection control. That, and he will get a large settlement.

Shame on us, as physicians, for ceding so much control of the healthcare profession to business suits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
He won't get much, that's for sure. He may also stay unemployed for a good while (also given his age), which will lead to loss of skills. He did the right thing for his health. Now he has to live with the consequences.

I just want to point out, again, that any specialty which does not allow one to practice independently and develop a loyal patient list is, basically, a lifetime of assembly lane medicine for blue-collar workers. And we all know what happens to blue-collar workers when they don't follow orders. If you want to have a happy professional life, be irreplaceable!

Reactions: 1 user
"There’s been a loss of autonomy and a denigration going on for a couple of decades now. We’ll take a lot,” said Dr. Christopher Garofalo, a family doctor in North Attleboro, Mass, who holds several regional leadership positions in medicine, including serving as the state’s delegate to the American Medical Association. More than half of physicians now are employees of hospital systems or big groups, he said, a systemic change that has left doctors feeling less empowered and frustrated.

Covid-19, he said, “is causing it to erupt.”"

Members don't see this ad :)
This won't change until doctors quit en masse. Literally walk away from an employer as a group. Which is less and less likely, since many of them have no FU money, but are neck deep in mortgages and child expenses. Plus they have agreed to all kinds of restrictive conditions in their contracts.

Doctors, as a group, are pretty stupid people from a financial standpoint, and employers take advantage of that regularly.

Another piece of advice for the grasshoppers: first, get your FU money. Then (and only then) you can dictate your conditions of employment. If you can't, you're just a f-ing slave. Treat every job as a business deal; if it's bad for you, just walk away. Trust me, if your employer knows that you don't depend on them for a living, you will have a much happier life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
This won't change until doctors quit en masse. Literally walk away from an employer as a group. Which is less and less likely, since many of them have no FU money, but are neck deep in mortgages and child expenses. Plus they have agreed to all kinds of restrictive conditions in their contracts.

Doctors, as a group, are pretty stupid people from a financial standpoint, and big corporations take advantage of that regularly.

Another piece of advice for the grasshoppers: first, get your FU money. Then (and only then) you can dictate your conditions of employment. If you can't, you're just a f-ing slave.

and NECK deep in 6 figure loans.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Doctors, as a group, are pretty stupid people from a financial standpoint, and big corporations take advantage of that regularly.

Another piece of advice for the grasshoppers: first, get your FU money. Then (and only then) you can dictate your conditions of employment. If you can't, you're just a f-ing slave. Treat every job as a business deal; if it's bad for you, just walk away. Trust me, if your employer knows that you don't depend on them for a living, you will have a much happier life.
Best FU account is a low cost of living. I could live on a CRNA salary. Wouldn’t like it, but I could.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
my salary went up 3-4x as an attending after graduating. my life style feels the same as when i lived on a res salary bc expenses are so much higher now.. between no longer subsidized housing + insurance costs + required fees + loan repayments... for sure i save more than before, but otherwise feels similar. i guess it would make a difference if i blew all my money and had no savings like in most of residency :)

definitely need that FU money. but i feel it will be even harder after this pandemic

Our group now requires all our members to wear masks anywhere in the hospital. The nursing staff at the desk in the OR and in OB are prohibited from wearing masks. Go figure. Wearing masks may not be a perfect solution but it is certainly better than nothing, even when the CDC is dead wrong.

The nursing staff at the desk in the OR and in OB are prohibited from wearing masks.

Again, Joint Commission supports those unprotected RNs. If you feel so inclined, show this position statement to those RNs, esp page 3. I am tired of idiotic administrators who don’t do patient care making these asinine rules.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
wait until this is over and we go back to the old days of joint commission inspections. NO mask allowed anywhere but OR! back to the profuse wastage

Reactions: 2 users
my salary went up 3-4x as an attending after graduating. my life style feels the same as when i lived on a res salary bc expenses are so much higher now.. between no longer subsidized housing + insurance costs + required fees + loan repayments... for sure i save more than before, but otherwise feels similar. i guess it would make a difference if i blew all my money and had no savings like in most of residency :)

definitely need that FU money. but i feel it will be even harder after this pandemic
3-4x?

Man you need to get out of the northeast!

Reactions: 3 users
wait until this is over and we go back to the old days of joint commission inspections. NO mask allowed anywhere but OR! back to the profuse wastage

This virus isn’t going anywhere. Dunno if it’ll ever be “over”.

If employed by the hospital, maybe they needed a petty excuse to get rid of some overhead expenses.

If any legal proceedings occurred and this information were discovered, it wouldn’t be good for the hospital.