Precedex

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Gosh I remember hearing about this 5 years ago. I dont know any of these folks personally so little to add to the story. Just amazed at how long it takes to move these things through the legal system.

soorg

Board-certified maniac
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
$7 million? I wish someone would harass me. No wonder why she's "very, very happy to move forward." Who wouldn't be?!

soorg

Board-certified maniac
10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
You know, I got called "sweetheart" a few times by the circulator. Why didn't I sue?

Laryngophed

Supratentorial problems
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
TDC
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
$7 million? I wish someone would harass me. No wonder why she's "very, very happy to move forward." Who wouldn't be?!
Exactly. You know the award is excessive when most or all people would suffer the damage willingly to get the award.

wjs010

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2012
Status
Medical Student
ah, political correctness, the end of all good things :)

cincincyreds

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Wow, $7 million.

I don't want to say anything about Dr. Fischer on a public forum, but I did get to rotate with him as a medical student before he was at BID. It really is a small world.

Random Anesthesiologist

Random Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/2013/02/07/former-anesthesiology-chair-wins-million-from-beth-israel-deaconess-settle-gender-bias-suit/zXyke5jXn2Oztrgp04KzeN/story-1.html

Short story:

1. woman rises to chief of anesthesiology at BIDMC
2. surgeon supposedly discriminates against her as a woman
3. BIDMC settles suit for 7 million

Thoughts?
Since the suit was settled, is there a question of "supposed" discrimination? For that much money, I'm thinking she would have won if it had gone to a jury.

And what should the repercussion be for discrimination like that. IF what Warfield said was true, and she had the emails and witnesses to back it up, what type of result should there be if y'all think $7 million is too much?

I do think that political correctness has taken the definition of "discrimination" way too far. I'm very conscious of being a female in a male-dominated field (at least in my geographical area), and there are just some things that come along with the territory that aren't worth fighting. I've said before - I don't really care about dirty jokes in the OR, even ones that poke fun at women - I just make sure to have some that poke at men (and are funny) to come right back with. It's also not insulting for me to be called sweetie, honey, or whatever, as long as it's sincere. If it were a colleague rather than attending, I know how to diplomatically stand my ground. Maybe I'm lucky this is all I've ever had to deal with. Or lucky that the attendings I've worked with don't really have problems with women in medicine. Also, in my experience, the worst offenders for bad behavior all around, were female attendings in a different specialty area that I considered going into.

The female anesthesiologists I have had the opportunity to meet and/or work with, have been mostly like the men I've had the opportunity to meet and/or work with. Laid back, flexible types that let a lot roll off their shoulders. I've seen more than a few derogatory comments in this forum lately about women, anesthesiologist or other, and it's kind of painful to stumble onto those threads (and wonder if these are residents/attendings I will be working with :/). Meh.

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
It's off topic but:
Raising 3 children alone?
Give me a break.

Last edited: