anesthesiologists and CRNA education standpoint?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few questions to ask, but I couldnt find an anesthesiologist who was in a good mood to ask this to.
Whats the difference in training between CRNAs and Anesthesiologists (looking at CRNA school only and residency only)?

Also how would the job market for anesthesiologists look like in the future, considering the rise of CRNAs.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few questions to ask, but I couldnt find an anesthesiologist who was in a good mood to ask this to.
Whats the difference in training between CRNAs and Anesthesiologists (looking at CRNA school only and residency only)?

Also how would the job market for anesthesiologists look like in the future, considering the rise of CRNAs.

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!

At first glance you seem like a troublemaker, but after looking over your previous posts, this is probably a serious question.

Anesthesiologists are doctors. They go to college, then medical school, and then train for an additional four years in anesthesiology. In addition to being able to administer anesthesia, and perform procedures in pain management, they are capable of diagnosing and treating disease, as any other physician can.

CRNAs are nurses. They go to nursing school. After nursing school they work their way up to a job in an ICU, where they spend at least a year. Next they complete CRNA school, which is about two years. Then they can administer anestheisa, alone in some places, but usually under the supervision of an anesthesiologist, who is ultimately responisble for the patient. They are trained to recognize problems and follow protocols to treat them within the scope of anesthetic care. CRNAs have a good understanding of basic cardiopulmonary physiology as it relates to anesthesia care.

Nurses and physicans approach medicine from different perspectives. Physicians are trained to think in terms of physiology, pathology, and psychology to understand what is right and wrong with a patient. Nurses are trained to start with signs (blood pressure, heart rate, rash) and sypmtoms (diarrhea, dizziness, itching) to provide supportive care to the patient, and notify the MD of significant events and changes. Beyond that, nurses have varying degrees of depth in understanding what underlies and causes the signs and symptoms.

Do a search in this forum for "CRNA" to read more about the relationship between MDs and CRNAs, and the controvorsey regarding their role in what we do.

One is 2 years long and one is 4 years long. Is that a start?

Members don't see this ad :)

You have search issues on multiple levels. First of all, there are like 8 current threads discussing this. And even more pathetic... you can't find an anesthesiologist in a good mood? :confused:

You have search issues on multiple levels. First of all, there are like 8 current threads discussing this. And even more pathetic... you can't find an anesthesiologist in a good mood? :confused:

Yeah, one of the things that really struck me about the profession was how happy almost every anesthesiologist/gas resident that I ran into was.

Please do a search. Look into the ABA reqs of anesthesiology residency on google. Also check out what the reqs are for CRNA's in various programs. You should be able to easily find the answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.