Anesthesiology and Couples Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zzzosyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m a recent anesthesiology convert who’s wondering if anyone has any experience with couples matching. My school advisor is telling me that even with my stats, I should apply to a back-up specialty. My SO is top of our class, similar comlex to mine, and is applying pathology.

for some insight into my stats, I'm a current OMS4 at a newer DO school in the SE
Around 50th percentile in my class
Step1: 239 Comlex 1: 578
Step2: we’ll see
Research: have 1 prior publication and 2 presentations from bench work
Extracurricular: Plenty of volunteering, involved with student government and clubs.

I have letters of Recommendation already and one audition lined up (thank god). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or insight.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine without a backup specialty. I had similar scores and research, probably did less "academic" extracurriculars, did couples match and didn't have any problems. Of course apply around your region but don't be afraid to apply further away. And if your SO is top of her class applying path, tell her sorry when she has these great interviews but you dont get an invite in the same city. It happens lol. But I don't see any problems for you guys in general. Make a list of all the programs in the same cities. That will cut out a lot of programs for both of you. Then start evaluating the programs based off of that list.

Reactions: 1 user
My school advisor is telling me that even with my stats, I should apply to a back-up specialty.

lol no, your advisor is an idiot. my step 1 was the same as yours but i had no pubs. right around the middle for class rank. just apply broadly. i applied to 70 or so, interview offers from 25ish. went on 14-15 interviews and matched at second choice.

youll be fine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the adviser's advice may have merit. I just read 2020 charting outcomes and there was only one unmatched spot in the country. Hundreds of USMDs didn't match. I know programs that were previously filling with DO and Caribbean students fully matched US grads from good schools this year.

Hey everyone! I’m a recent anesthesiology convert who’s wondering if anyone has any experience with couples matching. My school advisor is telling me that even with my stats, I should apply to a back-up specialty. My SO is top of our class, similar comlex to mine, and is applying pathology.

for some insight into my stats, I'm a current OMS4 at a newer DO school in the SE
Around 50th percentile in my class
Step1: 239 Comlex 1: 578
Step2: we’ll see
Research: have 1 prior publication and 2 presentations from bench work
Extracurricular: Plenty of volunteering, involved with student government and clubs.

I have letters of Recommendation already and one audition lined up (thank god). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or insight.

Thanks in advance

Your SO should dump you.

Reactions: 1 users
Your SO should dump you.
Agree. Or vice versa. Too much time/money invested into your career. Better shot at matching where you want to go if you match solo. Probably not an answer you’re looking for. You have a gf now, you likely have one later
You’re not married, so don’r bother altering the trajectory of your career for a girlfriend. If things go less than optimally, one or both of you could resent the other in the future.

Fwiw I’m a new grad and would suggest following your advisors suggestions if you must couples match. I have seen anything and everything happen to various matching couples over the past few years. Even if your home program says you will both match there that doesn’t mean it will happen.

Personally my bf and I chose not to couples match. Ultimately, I transferred programs later to be together and it worked out (I don’t necessarily suggest this route). If it is meant to be, you will find a way.

Reactions: 1 users