Anesthesiology and family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're welcome. They're also awesome in concert ...

If you remember a Dirty Heads concert, you weren’t doing it right.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, 250k-300k is way more than I imagined I would make haha.
Then this will really surprise you:
CRNAs make ~200k for a 40 hour week with ~6 weeks of vacation. Plus some nice benefits.
Just make sure your mommy track job is at least doing that well, or find a place to be hired as a CRNA.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our ortho surgeons can make 7 figures working 3-4 days a week. They also can leave in the middle of the day on their kids’ birthday for lunch. That seems more lifestyle based than my schedule.

That's so depressing lol.

Anyway, OP I'm not in anesthesia, so I can't speak to that specifically, but I quickly realized at the end of med school that my life outside of work (not necessarily kids) was more important than my work. I was initially interested in ob/gyn, but am glad I decided to not go my path.

As others have eluded, the downside to certain specialities isn't just the number of hours you work, but the unpredictability. During med school and residency my partner actually didn't care if I was "running late" or wasn't home at a certain time, but I couldn't handle it. I didn't like being on call, having various hours throughout the week making it difficult to plan things (social events, visits with family/friends, exercise classes, etc), sometimes having to be up all night, etc. Even now sometimes when a patient shows up late at the end of the day and I have to stay a little later or finish up notes I'm like grrrrr lol....and that only puts me behind 30 or so minutes. I can't imagine enjoying always having the possibility to not get home until several hours after I was thinking I would.

Of course if you love anesthesia and can't see yourself doing anything else, then you should likely go for it, but fields that have more unpredictable scheduling like anesthesia aren't necessarily the most "family-friendly."

Any job in medicine or otherwise has a lifestyle that may work for some and not for others. In regards to an example above about coaching/being at his/her kids soccer game: most jobs in medicine would not allow you to be there if the game starts 4, 5 or even 6pm. While sometimes unpredictable, the hours generally work in my favor as I am more likely to be off before 5pm than most of my peers in other specialties (pre-call and post-call days abound). As has been said too many times to count in this forum, it's better to do a job you enjoy for 50 hours than a job you dislike for 40 hours. Just my $0.02.

Then this will really surprise you:
CRNAs make ~200k for a 40 hour week with ~6 weeks of vacation. Plus some nice benefits.
Just make sure your mommy track job is at least doing that well, or find a place to be hired as a CRNA.
I would say 200k is on the high end for them for 40 hours, average is more like 150-160k based on what I see for a W2 40 hour job

That's so depressing lol.

Anyway, OP I'm not in anesthesia, so I can't speak to that specifically, but I quickly realized at the end of med school that my life outside of work (not necessarily kids) was more important than my work. I was initially interested in ob/gyn, but am glad I decided to not go my path.

As others have eluded, the downside to certain specialities isn't just the number of hours you work, but the unpredictability. During med school and residency my partner actually didn't care if I was "running late" or wasn't home at a certain time, but I couldn't handle it. I didn't like being on call, having various hours throughout the week making it difficult to plan things (social events, visits with family/friends, exercise classes, etc), sometimes having to be up all night, etc. Even now sometimes when a patient shows up late at the end of the day and I have to stay a little later or finish up notes I'm like grrrrr lol....and that only puts me behind 30 or so minutes. I can't imagine enjoying always having the possibility to not get home until several hours after I was thinking I would.

Of course if you love anesthesia and can't see yourself doing anything else, then you should likely go for it, but fields that have more unpredictable scheduling like anesthesia aren't necessarily the most "family-friendly."
Which specialty did you choose in the end?

I would say 200k is on the high end for them for 40 hours, average is more like 150-160k based on what I see for a W2 40 hour job
Lol, guess I had better drop all the CRNAs in a 2 hour radius’ pay. It all depends on the region.

sports ortho 1000%
good payor mix, no call, no weekends, take fridays off, make a mil a year. Game, set, match.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a ton of ortho buddies.
they do very well and have a great lifestyle.

How easy is it to match into ortho? How much you gotta bench press?

Have to work hard for anything worth having in this life.
It just ian’t handed to you.
Put in the work early, enjoy the benefits later.

Have to work hard for anything worth having in this life.
It just ian’t handed to you.
Put in the work early, enjoy the benefits later.
Understandable. But there is a rank list in medical school and plenty of people fall in the middle of the pack and aren't gonna be at the top enough to match a position. In fact, that would be most of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understandable. But there is a rank list in medical school and plenty of people fall in the middle of the pack and aren't gonna be at the top enough to match a position. In fact, that would be most of us.

Sure thing. This message is directed to med studs not us. Anything is possible in this country however. My dad comes from one of the poorest countries in this wolrd. Learned english, came here, washed dishes in NYC, became a doctor in pharmacy and as since climbed the corporate ladder. His biggest feat to date was to put Sovaldi on the market through the FDA a few years ago. He is 72 and a still that guy, who had the whole deck stacked against him- still working.

The sort of person who can get into a 7-figure job as an ortho sports guy probably also has what it takes to get into a 90+ %-ile MGMA anesthesiology position too. Or a concierge medicine job. Or any of a dozen other lucrative but competitive positions.

At some point it bears mentioning that the person's talent and ambition are the key factors. Naturally here on SDN we're all amazing and could do anything (if we really wanted to) but top %-ile jobs just aren't in the cards for the vast majority of people.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's you gotta be in the 250/250 club. 250 step1 and 250 bench press. Iq ÷ bench > 250 is not gonna cut it for ortho

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's you gotta be in the 250/250 club. 250 step1 and 250 bench press. Iq ÷ bench > 250 is not gonna cut it for ortho

I think you’re missing the whole point of that joke.

• Haha
@Consigliere told me the reason he hates his life so much is because his wife cheated on him. truly feel bad for the guy

wow... he really made you upset, huh?

He was giving you his honest advice. You need to consider a back up specialty if you do not want to risk going unmatched.

After reading your posts, it is quite clear why you failed the CS, or the DO equivalent of it. I hope you do not match my program and I will let my program director know to be extra wary of inviting an applicant with a failed CS for an interview, in case it is you, not that we interview anyone with a failed score to begin with. Most programs recruit very well, and I am very positive that this is not the risk that most programs need to take.

I hope that you grow into a mature physician one day that represents the field well regardless of whichever field you end up entering.

Edit: LOL He/she deleted his/her post! haha

Last edited:

He was giving you his honest advice. You need to consider a back up specialty if you do not want to risk going unmatched.

After reading your posts, it is quite clear why you failed the CS, or the DO equivalent of it. I hope you do not match my program and I will let my program director know to be extra wary of inviting an applicant with a failed CS for an interview, in case it is you, not that we interview anyone with a failed score to begin with. Most programs recruit very well, and I am very positive that this is not the risk that most programs need to take.

I hope that you grow into a mature physician one day that represents the field well regardless of whichever field you end up entering.

Wow. Way to put someone's business out there!! I doubt it's true. Someone like Consigliere I don't see opening up like that. Unless they are really good friends in real life.

Wow. Way to put someone's business out there!! I doubt it's true. Someone like Consigliere I don't see opening up like that. Unless they are really good friends in real life.
You are correct, choco. I have no idea who this ass clown is. I know he's butt hurt (needs to fill out Salty's proffered form and submit) over a fairly benign comment I made. I've been put on "probation" for it so I guess it wasn't so benign after all. As if I care......anyway, my days here are numbered...

You are correct, choco. I have no idea who this ass clown is. I know he's butt hurt (needs to fill out Salty's proffered form and submit) over a fairly benign comment I made. I've been put on "probation" for it so I guess it wasn't so benign after all. As if I care......anyway, my days here are numbered...
Don't leave. But I understand. This place can be full of clowns. I love your realness as you know. You don't hold back and you are honest.
I am sure I rub people off the wrong way plenty of times. But I don't give a damn either.

Don't leave. But I understand. This place can be full of clowns. I love your realness as you know. You don't hold back and you are honest.
I am sure I rub people off the wrong way plenty of times. But I don't give a damn either.
Oh I'm not leaving....just got a feeling the ban hammer's about to be dropped on my ass.

I like how he just f@ked all his DO colleagues with your program, or anyone who has anything to do with deciding which candidates to rank.

Oh I'm not leaving....just got a feeling the ban hammer's about to be dropped on my ass.
Just don't post outside the anesthesia subforum. The mods (one in particular) are out of control in the med student area... It's been worsening since 2009 or so.

Just don't post outside the anesthesia subforum. The mods (one in particular) are out of control in the med student area... It's been worsening since 2009 or so.
Please. This is the only forum I post in. The rest of SDN is just a wasteland of mediocrity and anger.

• Love
Please. This is the only forum I post in. The rest of SDN is just a wasteland of mediocrity and anger.

Whenever I’m feeling negative about the future of anesthesia or my own career choices, I just head over to the rad onc forum and immediately feel a bit better. Holy cow are those guys bitter!

Why wouldn't it? You don't add anything really worthwhile around here.
I add some "realness" and a much, much needed injection of humor. Most tight asses here have had their sense of humor surgically removed. Let the chips fall where they may....as previously stated IDGAF.

Reactions: 3 users
Is that a requirement to be a posting member? To add something worthwhile?
Requirement? No. But if one is persistently toeing the TOS line, it's a weight on the other side of the balance. We're mostly our own little world here in anesthesia-land, but there are rules.