Anesthesiology back on Merritt Hawkins' top 20 recruited specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"The Hart–Celler Act of 1965 marked a radical break from the immigration policies of the past. Previous laws restricted immigration from Asia and Africa, and gave preference to northern and western Europeans over southern and eastern Europeans.[2] In the 1960s, the United States faced both foreign and domestic pressures to change its nation-based formula, which was regarded as a system that discriminated based on an individual's place of birth."

Yep that debacle allowed me to immigrate to this country.

If it wasn't for that law I wouldn't be here, either, but that doesn't mean I can't look at its overarching effects in an objective manner. It's pretty clear the "historical majority" that existed in the United States at the time the act was passed in 1965 has been detrimentally affected by the mass immigration that followed, and in the next decade or two is going to permanently lose all political power in the country that it created due to demographic displacement. There is no reason not to acknowledge that some people lost as a result of the law just because you or I may have personally benefited from it. Not in this forum, at any rate.

Members don't see this ad.

If it wasn't for that law I wouldn't be here, either, but that doesn't mean I can't look at its overarching effects in an objective manner. It's pretty clear the "historical majority" that existed in the United States at the time the act was passed in 1965 has been detrimentally affected by the mass immigration that followed, and in the next decade or two is going to permanently lose all political power in the country that it created due to demographic displacement. There is no reason not to acknowledge that some people lost as a result of the law just because you or I may have personally benefited from it. Not in this forum, at any rate.

I don't see anything wrong with a shift in power away from the historical majority. Times change.

I don't see anything wrong with a shift in power away from the historical majority. Times change.

Fair enough. The obvious question then becomes, would you see anything wrong with a shift in power away from the "future majority" back towards the "historical majority," perhaps as a result of a reversal of the Hart-Celler act? As you said, times change, so surely they can change the other way, too? I suppose Trump is one manifestation of those changing times...

Not trying to be snide, I simply want to understand whether your thought process is dominated by a sanguine "eh, times change, whatevs" or naked ethnocentrism. And for what it's worth, I think naked ethnocentrism is a positive quality, cause without it your people get reamed by those who have it. If the "historical" majority had naked ethnocentrism maybe we wouldn't have to preface them with the "historical" qualifier because they'd be the past, present and future majority lol.

Last edited:
Fair enough. The obvious question then becomes, would you see anything wrong with a shift in power away from the "future majority" back towards the "historical majority," perhaps as a result of a reversal of the Hart-Celler act? As you said, times change, so surely they can change the other way, too? I suppose Trump is one manifestation of those changing times...

Not trying to be snide, I simply want to understand whether your thought process is dominated by a sanguine "eh, times change, whatevs" or naked ethnocentrism. And for what it's worth, I think naked ethnocentrism is a positive quality, cause without it your people get reamed by those who have it. If the "historical" majority had naked ethnocentrism maybe we wouldn't have to preface them with the "historical" qualifier because they'd be the past, present and future majority lol.

It's more the former. It's hard to be ethnocentric with a mixed race child and a large, multiethnic family which is the case for me. I'm for celebrating all ethnicities. Our Thanksgivings are awesome, a true melting pot, especially now that the nieces and nephews are older and bringing their boyfriends and girlfriends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user