Anesthesiology Core Faculty Shout Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just was looking over the ACGME 2018-2019 databook and wanted to send some love to some of my former Anesthesiology faculty - Shout out. I know we all have our worries about the future of anesthesiology (we suck) but one statistic stands out, that I am sure you all can interpret for yourself, is that we are leading the pack in Direct Faculty and Core Faculty per program compared to all specialties. Anesthesiology has an average 58.7 faculty per program and 26.4 core faculty per program respectively.
I am not sure if this is a function of fact that faculty need to supervise 2:1, or that anesthesiologists are more academically (blood brain barrier) inclined, or that random places have anesthesiology residency programs and the staff are now defined as "faculty." But regardless you can only move forward by actually teaching the young how to gun. And by default 2:1 limits the growth of anesthesiology unlike what EM is experiencing.
We all agree that you need to train the next generation to protect the field (from banana thief artists known as anesthesia nurses) and so I wanted to pour a 40 to some of the master clinicians I have worked with and also some of the expert teachers in Anesthesiology here on SDN (Think PENG Block). And to all the ****ty faculty - I'm an attending now so yes I hold my blade like an upside-down glock, deal with it.

We might be the seen as the George Costanza's of the medical world but in our mind we are the slickest mofos in the hospital. Let me know how you interpret this data.

1578193504615.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just was looking over the ACGME 2018-2019 databook and wanted to send some love to some of my former Anesthesiology faculty - Shout out. I know we all have our worries about the future of anesthesiology (we suck) but one statistic stands out, that I am sure you all can interpret for yourself, is that we are leading the pack in Direct Faculty and Core Faculty per program compared to all specialties. Anesthesiology has an average 58.7 faculty per program and 26.4 core faculty per program respectively.
I am not sure if this is a function of fact that faculty need to supervise 2:1, or that anesthesiologists are more academically (blood brain barrier) inclined, or that random places have anesthesiology residency programs and the staff are now defined as "faculty." But regardless you can only move forward by actually teaching the young how to gun. And by default 2:1 limits the growth of anesthesiology unlike what EM is experiencing.
We all agree that you need to train the next generation to protect the field (from banana thief artists known as anesthesia nurses) and so I wanted to drink a 40 to some of the master clinicians I have worked with and also some of the expert teachers in Anesthesiology here on SDN (Think PENG Block). And to all the ****ty faculty - I'm an attending now so yes I hold my blade like an upside-down glock, deal with it.

We might be the seen as the George Costanza's of the medical world but in our mind we are the slickest mofos in the hospital. Let me know how you interpret this data.

View attachment 291795

I enjoy a good old fashioned 40 as much as the next guy, but you’re an attending now, so pour yourself a Scotch.

Reactions: 1 user