anesthesiology externship at University of Florida-Gainsville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone do an away elective at University of Florida-Gainsville? Just wondering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UF on probation??? Are you sure you're not talking about USF?????

I did a month at UF's anesthesiology program. I'll try to post more now, but in summary great faculty, amazing case load with incredibly competent residents, great group of residents. Mahla, the program director, is a first-class individual and exemplary program director; he is known hospital-wide as a very strong resident advocate.

UF's program is also known for working hard while you're there. Mostly 3.5 weekends/month off on general OR service, with a night-float system and ~once weekly stay-late. Years before the new ACGME requirements came out, UF anesthesiology was already in compliance. I understand an average work week is 55-60 hours. Anesthesiology also runs the SICU; hours there I think run closer to 80.

Case load is amazing. If I had to pick a weak point it would be peds, but UF is known for its peds liver transplant and CDH repairs, and these cases are nuts. Solid cards program, with 2-3 rooms at the main hospital (Shands) which in my experience seem to be running nearly around the clock; more rooms over at the VA as well. Neuro here is incredible as well, with I think 4 neuro rooms running every day.

Only a handful of CRNA's here; some of the faculty were the leading proponents of AA legislation/scope of practice issues in the state. They're actually trying to hire more supposedly to lighten the late-afternoon load. Didactics every morning at 7am, very well attended and well conducted.

As for the clerkship itself, it was well-organized and a great experience. Excellent set of seperate didactics for the students on basic topics; critical care issues, such as vent management, are discussed as well. A fair amount of these lectures also involve, to a great degree, the human patient simulator (which coincidentally, was designed here at UF).

I'll end by saying I'm biased towards the program. From what I can tell, this would be one of the last programs out there to ever go on probation.

Members don't see this ad :)
My sincere apologies..... USF-Tampa is on probation.

Thank you guys a lot for responding to my inquiry. gator, which course do you reccomend that I do? Some are at Shands hospital, and some are at some other hospital. I'm a little confused.