Anesthesiology, great hours, great salary, low competitiveness, why??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why wouldn't you think of your lifestyle outside of the hospital when you choose your profession? Lots of things matter outside the hospital, like time for family and fun. One should weigh all of the pros and cons before choosing a profession. Especially selfish reasons. Heck, that is why we "choose" a profession..

Also, I know a doctor who has done: anesthesiology, infectious diseases and now emergency medicine.. so in your lifetime, you have time to do more than one if you want to.

Members don't see this ad.

YzIa said:
30 hours a week and pull in 300,000. Maybe in a perfect world, or just that ideal setting. National averages according the the AAMC are more like $300,000 at 60 hours a week. Well actually more like 190-360,000 and 58 hrs/week.

Yes, that is ortho.
Ophtha is 140-290 at 47 hrs/week (same source) and the other O, ENT is 150-300 at 53 hrs/week.

Since you failed to link the source of your assumptions, I had to find it myself here. Did you happen to notice that this data was from a study in 1998. Maybe compensation rates could have changed in 8 years? Optho has been declining, as I previously stated.

If you want real current data on physician salaries, you can find several by googling. Try these for starters:
Allied Physicians ongoing since 2002
Physician Search 2002 data

Better yet, talk with some current practioners, goto to specialty websites, etc. You will come to the same conclusions that I previously pointed out. Even these surveys can be misleading, like the numbers shown for Gas being looow in todays climate.

OrthoFixation said:
Since you failed to link the source of your assumptions, I had to find it myself here. Did you happen to notice that this data was from a study in 1998. Maybe compensation rates could have changed in 8 years? Optho has been declining, as I previously stated.

If you want real current data on physician salaries, you can find several by googling. Try these for starters:
Allied Physicians ongoing since 2002
Physician Search 2002 data

Better yet, talk with some current practioners, goto to specialty websites, etc. You will come to the same conclusions that I previously pointed out. Even these surveys can be misleading, like the numbers shown for Gas being looow in todays climate.

While I agree with the rest of your post, the quote on the link is from 1998, while the survey data (salary) is from 2002.

Members don't see this ad :)
YzIa said:
While I agree with the rest of your post, the quote on the link is from 1998, while the survey data (salary) is from 2002.

Your sources are much easier to obtain and compare data though. Thanks for posting them.

scrappysurfer said:
In my current job I spend a substantial amount of time running anesthesia for experimental surgeries on large animals.
Hey scrappy, just curious here. How are the experimental animals treated? Just be honest. I'm thinking/hoping there's a considerable amount of compasion given to them etc. In general terms, are they treated well, under the circumstances?

PBR727 said:
I'm pretty sure the insurance premiums are high and I've heard that the licensing exam is one of the hardest.

Insurance premiums are actually among the lowest in the medical field...hard to believe but very true.