Anesthesiology in midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any opinions about the following programs: U pitt, washU, cleveland clinic, ohio st, SLU, Uchicago and indiana. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget the University of Missouri-Kansas City, generally regarded as one of the top up-and-coming Anethesiology programs in the US.

Goodkid -
I interviewed at both cleveland clinic and SLU (I am headed to SLU) and liked both very much. The only downside to the Clinic was its size. A few of the residents told me that they felt like they fell through the cracks from time to time. I've HEARD that both U. Pitt and Wash U. are excellent programs, but that they are quite malignant. I recently rotated with an anesthesiologist who taught at Indiana and he said it was a great program. As for UMKC, I interviewed there also but was turned off by the lack of transplant and the fact that all of the residents were too busy to speak to those of us interviewing. Depsite its location, be sure to look at U. of Iowa as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at CCF and Wash U.

I think on ur list Wash U. is the best program when it comes to medium size program, surgical caseload, reputation/prestige, and research funding.

With Alex Evers as chief the program is SURE to just get better and better until it becomes possibly the best program in the midwest (which I don't think is to far away).

CCF also has a great surgical caseload. It's in Cleveland, which is not the funnest place to be. They are good at cards and pain, but didn't get sold on their peds and OB experiences.

As said already: U. Pitt and U. of Iowa are also strong programs out there.

Good luck.

Where'd you match, Navs?

BTW, not that you need my validation, but you're an okay guy. Sorry about my attack before!

I don't know much about these anesthesia programs but wanted to give you another great midwest option. Medical College of Wisconsin's anesthesia program is ranked in the top 10 in terms of research done.

You know, MCW is interesting. I've seen it mentioned several times as a top-tier on these boards but couldn't have found it more run-of-the-mill when interviewing there. I don't doubt that it must be good, but I don't get it's reputation? Is it simply the fact it's ranked in the top 10 in NIH $ spent on research?

Conversely, Cleveland Clinic has a phenomenal reputation in all respects but its rarely talked about in Aneshesia circles as an elite program. I would think its elite status in so many other fields would rub off anyway, but...? Plus, there were alot of IMG's which was a further red-flag. Not the most schedule friendly either.

You know, MCW is interesting. I've seen it mentioned several times as a top-tier on these boards but couldn't have found it more run-of-the-mill when interviewing there. I don't doubt that it must be good, but I don't get it's reputation? Is it simply the fact it's ranked in the top 10 in NIH $ spent on research?

Conversely, Cleveland Clinic has a phenomenal reputation in all respects but its rarely talked about in Aneshesia circles as an elite program. I would think its elite status in so many other fields would rub off anyway, but...? Plus, there were alot of IMG's which was a further red-flag. Not the most schedule friendly either.

I think a lot of MCWs rep is from the research. Some of the anesthesiologists here have really advanced the field to make anesthesia safer over the past 20 years. I can't say I know that much about the training except that it is solid. I didn't see any other programs since I'm not going into anesthesia.

Hi Joe,

I'm glad to see we are finally on speaking terms:)

I'll be the first to admit I was a little caught up in the whole "prestige" issue when I was looking and applying for programs. I realize how stupid that is now. Sorry about my antics in the past!!

Speaking of MCW, I interviewed there as well. I'll tell u what, I was a little in the same mind set u are, I was not impressed AT ALL when it comes clinically. They have a medium size program which is nice and their own peds. hospital. They themselves admit they are weak in cards.

I think their rep. is so strong (sounds like a WELL RESPECTED program from nearly everyone) due to the research people they have. John Kampine is such a BIG NAME in the field, then u have David Waltaire, David Syker, etc.

So clinically, sounds solid and its push into the elite seems due to some of its faculty and research commitment!! But definetly it is a top notch program in anesth. circles.

On a separate note, now that anesth. is hot I think CCF is trying to slowly change to more AMGs due to this perceived stigmata of being run by FMGs. My friend is starting anesth. there this coming yr. and said they have only 9 or so FMGs among that entire yrs. class.

Good luck.

hello all future anesthesiologists. I just would like to say i am very happy that our field has once again become popular amongst med students. I am an private attending, but i used to be in medical teaching. the general consensus is that places w/ good research also have a good rep. while this is true to a certain extent, it is not the rule. in fact, i graduated from a big name residency program research oriented and found that my collegues who were trained at inner city/ big case load institutions were much more experienced, and well versed than me. ultimately thats what matters, not if you know who discovered fentanyl. in the world of anesthesia, there are many big name/ solid prgrams. one of the guys(patel) in the previous forum summed it up well. in addition i found that many pd's and those interested in private practice found that residents who train at places like mgh, mt sinai, columbia, cleveland clinic, mayo, hopkins, california schools, pitt, u wash have no problems getting jobs, there are many more that i left out. traditionally a img friendly speciality, it was not in the mid 80's, there were very few. it was comparable to getting ophthal/ ent now. i personally feel that img's have contributed alot to this field, and most who get in now are very competetive candidates. if the field continues to be hot like this, i predict that it will be very competitive in 2-3 yrs. thanks, good luck to all.

Dear Paindoc,

When you say "very competitive", are you placing it an Ortho level? Emergency med level? What current field, in terms of competiveness, are you asserting that Anes. may be approximating in 3-4 years?

Thanks, Bigfrank

Hi paindoc,

It is great having a private practice guy out here getting involved!!

Since u are a paindoc I presume by ur name, could you please tell us what are the good pain fellow places to train (or does it matter at all??) and also any new news from the pain front in respects to fellow training??

I believe they merged all the specialties (anesth, PMR, and neuro) into 1 pain fellow track. I have heard rumors also that the fellow will may be changed to 2 yrs. instead of 1, have u heard anything about that??

Thanks. And welcome aboard.

Anyone know anything about the Ohio State program?