Anesthesiology in the Navy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in what the life of an anesthesiologist in the Navy looks like. What's the residency program like? Is there a transitional year? Chance of an GMO tour in the middle of residency? Any other details?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now, 99-100% chance of a GMO tour between internship and residency for anesthesia

The stats they showed us at ODS showed a surprisingly high straight through training rate for Gas. EM, on the other hand, actually had a 0% straight through training rate last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The stats they showed us at ODS showed a surprisingly high straight through training rate for Gas. EM, on the other hand, actually had a 0% straight through training rate last year.

Many, many, many more people in my intern class are interested in EM compared to anesthesia.

That would be old data, I think. Back when I trained, there were a couple of people who went straight-through, but I don't think that's the case recently.

That would be old data, I think. Back when I trained, there were a couple of people who went straight-through, but I don't think that's the case recently.

To piggy back on that comment: several anesthesiology residents I know are already board certified in something else. Board Cert. > GMO >> intern when it comes to JGMESB. So you have to take that into account when considering competitiveness/likelihood of going strait through.

Not sure if that was Navy data, but in recent years (as far back as I can remember or knew about it) I have not heard of anyone going straight through in anesthesia.

outside of FM, IM, Psych, OBGYN and maybe Peds....is there any other specialty that grants (or recently granted) straight through training?

outside of FM, IM, Psych, OBGYN and maybe Peds....is there any other specialty that grants (or recently granted) straight through training?
I know that EM has taken one person the past two year at our location straight through. Anesthesia, I think had one this year and another one 2 years before that. Not sure about Radiology. The surgical specialties ortho, ENT, and gen surg also take some people straight through.

All the scuttlebutt I hear is that although the specialties are under a lot of pressure to take more people straight through, it is not going to happen to the extent most people expect (e.g., I doubt EM will EVER fill it's ranks with more than 25-30% of people going straight through). But afterall, I'm just reading the tea leaves so take it for what it's worth....

I think I was just called old.

I only know of one person going straight through in anesthesia, and I would have taken their spot if I had elected not to do a second GMO and get the $#@$ out.

i want out(of IRR) Less than a year to go to resign my commission