Anesthesiology or Critical Care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNmadeMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question guys, first off excuse my ignorance because I think this is a question that is obvious, but I do want to be sure. If one decides to take the Anesthesiology route during residency after med school, does that also provide them with the training required if they were to become or be an intensivist as well? Also I don't know if this is vice versa if you go into critical care can you go to surgeries and do the job of an anesthesiologist? Thank you guys for replies and taking your time out to answer this plebian of a question :) Have a great day.

Members don't see this ad.

Question guys, first off excuse my ignorance because I think this is a question that is obvious, but I do want to be sure. If one decides to take the Anesthesiology route during residency after med school, does that also provide them with the training required if they were to become or be an intensivist as well? Also I don't know if this is vice versa if you go into critical care can you go to surgeries and do the job of an anesthesiologist? Thank you guys for replies and taking your time out to answer this plebian of a question :) Have a great day.
Critical Care is a fellowship that you do after completing residency. And from my understanding you can apply to it after doing anesthesia, IM, surgery, or neuology (probably more). So, assuming you maintain your other board certification, you would be able to practice Critical Care in addition to whatever you did residency in (anesthesia or IM or surgery). So if you do IM then critical care, you can practice IM and critical care, you aren't able to do surgeries or anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I know, you can get to critical care from:
1. IM>CCM is 2 years for the CCM fellowship
2. IM>CCM combined with something else, usually pulm, but others are possible (e.g. nephrology, ID), but do the base subspecialty (e.g. nephrology, ID) first before you do CCM and save yourself a year total 3 years usually, but if you do it the other way around it's longer 2 years + 2 years usually 4 years
3. general surgery>CCM is 1 year
4. anesthesia>CCM is 1 year
5. EM>CCM I think 2 years
6. neurology>NCC (neurocritical care) is usually 2 years, but you can only work in neuro ICU's, not MICU's or SICU's or other ICU's as far as I know

Agree with @ndafife. If you do anesthesia (or anything else), you have to do a critical care fellowship to practice critical care. Exceptions might be some rural ICU that takes anyone they can get so they'll take general IM or FM but that's not the norm.

Unless you are anestheisa/critical care, you can't go into the OR and do the job of an anesthesiologist. You have to be an anesthesiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think that anesthesiologists are the best equipped to be intensivists. In this country, pulm crit care has an iron grip on many icus.

Reactions: 1 users
does critical care ICU salary differ if you are anesthesiology trained vs. IM trained? Are there any certain procedures in a SICU an anesthesiologist would be able to perform with their training that an IM trained critical care physician wouldn't be able to do?

Reactions: 1 users
does critical care ICU salary differ if you are anesthesiology trained vs. IM trained? Are there any certain procedures in a SICU an anesthesiologist would be able to perform with their training that an IM trained critical care physician wouldn't be able to do?

Anesthesiologists who work in OR and ICU normally are better paid than IM docs. IM docs are pulmonologists so they will be much better at bronchoscopy. However, chest tubes, iabp, ECMP- surgeons, but everything else (intubation, lines, etc.) anesthesiologists skills are probably superior.