ANESTHESIOLOGY Q&A THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incompetentIMG

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
heres the questions:

1.can anyone describe the lifestyle of anesthesiologist?

2. whats are the pros of being an anesthsiologist?

3. what are the cons of being an anesthsiologist?

4. do many anesthesiologists work in private practices?

5. how hard is it to get into an anesthesiology residency these days?

6. can an IMG get into a competitive anesthesiology program?

7. what are some IMG friendly anesthesiology programs?

8. does anyone think that cRNA's will eventually replace anesthesiologists in the near future? will they bring down their salaries significantly in the near future?

9. anesthesiologists make a good salary, but ive heard that this specialty is undesired by many U.S. medical students. is this because of a lack of respect by surgeons towards anesthesiologists?

where are the answers for these q's?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll move this over to the Rotations and Residencies Forum where it belongs. :D In addition, you may wish to do a search in that Forum because we have had several discussions there in the past about Anesthesiology.

1.can anyone describe the lifestyle of anesthesiologist?
Early start, may or maynot be in charge of a few CRNAs, rush to get everything started and the patients in to the room, varied amount of slow time where you are just doing charting and monitoring, rush to get patient out of room into recovery and new patient into the room. Home in afternoon unless have a late room or are the on call doc. Many practices have the doc be 2nd call behind a CRNA. Some don't even have CRNAs.

2. whats are the pros of being an anesthsiologist?

Good pay, normally job is routine, normally good hours.

3. what are the cons of being an anesthsiologist?

Sometimes can be very hectic, treated like a subordinate by the surgery team, pace to slow for some during the surgery.

4. do many anesthesiologists work in private practices?

Most work in partnerships. Probably very few in private practice. Some work as hospital employees.

5. how hard is it to get into an anesthesiology residency these days?

One of the easier to get into right now. May be increasing.

6. can an IMG get into a competitive anesthesiology program?

Sure if the IMG is competitive. But, the programs will take an US grad first if they are closely qualified.

7. what are some IMG friendly anesthesiology programs?

Most likely all of them considering how many IMGs are in Anes. right now.

8. does anyone think that cRNA's will eventually replace anesthesiologists in the near future? will they bring down their salaries significantly in the near future?

No and no way to tell.

9. anesthesiologists make a good salary, but ive heard that this specialty is undesired by many U.S. medical students. is this because of a lack of respect by surgeons towards anesthesiologists?

Maybe one reason. Also, there is the worry about the future with CRNAs. Many people just don't like the job that Anes. does. And, since Anes. is not a required rotation at most schools many students do not give it much thought.

I considered Anes and did rotations in it as well. So that is the exp. from which I draw my conclusions.

If you are interested in the job market check out www.gaswork.com they list many jobs for Anes.

And, if you are really what your name says. I hope you are never my Anes. doc.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey great pumpkin,

i checked out some of the job postings on gaswork.com's website. i noticed that the salary of new graduate for most of these anethesiologist permanent positions ranged from around $140,000-$180,000.

i noticed that some of the places offered the chance to become a partener, and the salary skyrockets to around $300,000. i noticed that these places had about 10 total partners. is this common in anesthesiolgy?

also, how many years does it usually take to become a partener in an anesthesiology group? do u have any idea?

is it difficult to become a partener in an anethesiology group?

Originally posted by nydude:
•hey great pumpkin,

i noticed that these places had about 10 total partners. is this common in anesthesiolgy?

also, how many years does it usually take to become a partener in an anesthesiology group? do u have any idea?

is it difficult to become a partener in an anethesiology group?•

Very common to have alot of partners in Anes. unless you are at a very small hospital. Or unless they employ a large number of CRNAs.

Usually you can become partner anywhere from 3 to 5 years. And, yes the salary skyrockets then. It is not difficult to become a partner unless you have problems. But, be wary of the places that hire junior people only to let them go right before they would make partner. It happens.