Anesthesiology residencies for osteopathic students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euhsa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there are only ten osteopathic programs out there. Is anyone familiar with any of these programs? What are the pros and cons of training in these programs compared to training in an allopathic program?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesnt matter where you go... medicine is Medicine.. and certainly the aba doesn ask you if you are a DO or MD

Originally posted by Justin4563:
•It doesnt matter where you go... medicine is Medicine.. and certainly the aba doesn ask you if you are a DO or MD•

I appreciate your input, Justin, but my purpose behind this post has nothing to do with the fact that I am a future DO (and not an MD). In fact, I am more than happy with my decision to attend an osteopathic school. My question is more specific to the ten osteopathic programs, and from my humble knowledge, certain programs have been known to educate their residents differently than others to say the least. (In addition, different programs have also been known to select applicants differently. Can you see my astute command of the obvious here?) Besides, is it not useful to glean information about specific programs? :rolleyes:

BTW, are you being sued at the present time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's silly for DO's to put blinders on and assume that there are only "10" Anesthesiology programs.

Allopathic Anesthesiology programs love DO's (I have a friend who graduated last year--DO--and is at WashU in St. Louis).

Don't limit yourself to those ten programs. You'll get a very good education at most programs, whether they be the 132 allopathic, or the ten osteopathic.

Originally posted by Future GI Guy:
•I think it's silly for DO's to put blinders on and assume that there are only "10" Anesthesiology programs.

Allopathic Anesthesiology programs love DO's (I have a friend who graduated last year--DO--and is at WashU in St. Louis).

Don't limit yourself to those ten programs. You'll get a very good education at most programs, whether they be the 132 allopathic, or the ten osteopathic.•

When and where did I mention that there were only ten anesthesiology programs? Please be careful about reading into things.

I would be more than happy with an allopathic anesthesiology program, but I don't think that it's wrong to look into osteopathic programs as well.

Just out of curiosity,

there are 39 AOA funded anesthesiology positions. 15 of these are filled.

Check out both AOA and ACGME programs. If I were looking for an anesthesiology program I would go for the biggest name program at the largest tertiary academic hospital with the best training (i will admit this last criteria is most important and hardest to assess). With the anesthesiology job market as it is (medium-tough), and considering that getting a top anesthesiology residency is pretty non-competitive, why not to aim for Johns Hopkins, or MGH, or UCSF, etc.

Just my thoughts.

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone knows which Osteopathic anesthesia programs were the best to rotate at and apply to. Any one have any experience with any of these programs? Just trying to decide how to spend my elective rotations.

I rotated at the osteopathic one in California. The rotation is actually pretty good and they take 5 residents a year. Its one of the biggest osteopathic anesthesia program.