Anesthesiology Residency in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDwoman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there have been a few of these in the past, but I would really love some advice and help.

Here are my details:
I go to decent medical school on the East Coast

Step 1: 252
Activities: President of my AMWA chapter, Student Council for Medical School
Research: None. I have a first author publication from undergrad in a decent journal on evolutionary biology...so that shows I can do research.
Other: Non-traditional, I took 2 years off to teach high school after college.

My husband is from California, and we're looking to move out there for residency. I'm interested in anesthesia, but I know CA is pretty competitive, so I'm wondering what I can do to make myself a better applicant? I'm particularly looking at UCSF, Stanford, and UC Davis.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I'm just an MS4, but your step 1 score makes you competitive for every program. If you take Step 2 relatively soon and are able to get in the 250's, you will be able to update programs during interview season, which will certainly help. Also, UC Davis is a lot less competitive that UCSF and Stanford, so you should have no trouble getting interviews at the former.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for responding ProEra!

I guess my primary concern is -- do you think I need research? I've been trying to maximize my studying while spending time with my family...and have sacrificed research (but not my academics) to do that. So for anesthesiology residency, do you think I should try to get involved in research?
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding ProEra!

I guess my primary concern is -- do you think I need research? I've been trying to maximize my studying while spending time with my family...and have sacrificed research (but not my academics) to do that. So for anesthesiology residency, do you think I should try to get involved in research?
Thanks again.

I would say research is always a bonus. But, academics are more important. So if you are able to get AOA, this can be a trump card and help you much more than a couple posters/abstracts. So I would say no rush to get involved with a project. But if you're done with Step 2 and can find a project to work on, you will have another talking point during interviews.

What year of medical school? How are your clinical grades? Can you get strong letter of recommendations? I feel like a lot of California programs, including the ones on your list, really look at the numbers when screening for interviews. The rest of your application and more importantly, your interview, will determine if you match there. With your step I score, you can likely get interviews at most places (I remember when I was interviewing at Stanford, the PD greeted us and immediately announced the average board score for the group that day, 244). Do you need research? Probably not. Does it help. Probably. If you have the time, go for it, but if it will adversely affect your clinical grades or family, then it will probably not hurt you too much. That's of course, my opinion. I didn't do any research during med school.

So I know there have been a few of these in the past, but I would really love some advice and help.

Here are my details:
I go to decent medical school on the East Coast

Step 1: 252
Activities: President of my AMWA chapter, Student Council for Medical School
Research: None. I have a first author publication from undergrad in a decent journal on evolutionary biology...so that shows I can do research.
Other: Non-traditional, I took 2 years off to teach high school after college.

My husband is from California, and we're looking to move out there for residency. I'm interested in anesthesia, but I know CA is pretty competitive, so I'm wondering what I can do to make myself a better applicant? I'm particularly looking at UCSF, Stanford, and UC Davis.

I would really appreciate any advice.
I heard UCSF and UC Davis did not even fill their spots last year. They are not as competitive as they used to be. Stanford is much more competitive now. I think Davis and UCSF took all who applied to their program and they could not fill the rest of the spots.

I heard UCSF and UC Davis did not even fill their spots last year. They are not as competitive as they used to be. Stanford is much more competitive now. I think Davis and UCSF took all who applied to their program and they could not fill the rest of the spots.

Please stop posting about these things which you clearly have no idea about.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're an idiot. Ok I take that back - just ignorant. Please stop posting about these things which you clearly have no idea about.
Check the NRMP match results and you can see which program did not fill in the match. The programs that did not fill in California, are UC Davis 5 spots, UCSF 3 spots, USC 2 spots, Riverside University health system 1 spot and UC Irvine 1 spot. I am not making things up

Reactions: 1 users
Check the NRMP match results and you can see which program did not fill in the match. The programs that did not fill in California, are UC Davis 5 spots, UCSF 3 spots, USC 2 spots, Riverside University health system 1 spot and UC Irvine 1 spot. I am not making things up

You said those 2 programs took all who applied. That is pure BS - that's not how it works. Some programs intentionally fill outside the match. Please stop advertising your ignorance.

You said those 2 programs took all who applied. That is pure BS - that's not how it works. Some programs intentionally fill outside the match. Please stop advertising your ignorance.
I think the ignorant is you. Enlighten us instead of your rudeness.

I actually heard the same thing about UCSF. I know a resident who graduated last year and he told me they have issues with the program.

Can anyone chance me also?
Current M3. I want to be in california, any program. My step 1 is 225, no red flags, middle student at middle MD school in the US. No home program, and my USMD school is not in california.

Thank you

Can anyone chance me also?
Current M3. I want to be in california, any program. My step 1 is 225, no red flags, middle student at middle MD school in the US. No home program, and my USMD school is not in california.

Thank you

ANY program in California? no problem.

you may find after interviewing, though, that you don't really mean that you'd be ok at "any program" in California.

ANY program in California? no problem.

you may find after interviewing, though, that you don't really mean that you'd be ok at "any program" in California.
Can you elaborate more? I'm googling but not finding anything specific about programs.
Are you talking about people going to interviews finding that they actually have deal breakers?

Can you elaborate more? I'm googling but not finding anything specific about programs.
Are you talking about people going to interviews finding that they actually have deal breakers?

This means that there are tiers of programs in California and that with a 225, you should be able to get an interview at those lower tier schools, but you may find that you would be happier to go to a higher quality institution located elsewhere rather than end up at a poorly run residency program that happens to be in a certain zip code. And you are not googling very hard if you haven't found anything specific about the programs. Search these boards, California residency programs have been discussed multiple times in the past.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing that may help with some of the less competitive schools is to email them and express why you are interested in their program if you do not hear back from them following ERAS submission. Many programs have a limited number of interviews they can accommodate and will preferentially offer interviews to candidates they actually think will rank their program. A low or mid tier California program may not offer an interview to someone from the East Coast with a high Step 1 score simply because they would assume there is a very low likelihood that person would end up matching there and they'd be better off interviewing a weaker applicant with ties to the program. A simple email saying you're legitimately interested in their program could prompt them to offer an interview.

One thing that may help with some of the less competitive schools is to email them and express why you are interested in their program if you do not hear back from them following ERAS submission. Many programs have a limited number of interviews they can accommodate and will preferentially offer interviews to candidates they actually think will rank their program. A low or mid tier California program may not offer an interview to someone from the East Coast with a high Step 1 score simply because they would assume there is a very low likelihood that person would end up matching there and they'd be better off interviewing a weaker applicant with ties to the program. A simple email saying you're legitimately interested in their program could prompt them to offer an interview.
I see. Thank you