anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soli Deo Gloria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question to any osteopathic medical student who has gone through the interview process for anesthesiology residency. I am a 3rd year student and am planning to begin the interview and application process soon and would appreciate any advice. Basically, my GPA was 3.44 during my didactice years and rotations have been going well. I elected not to take the USMLE. My basic question is whether or not to even consider interviewing at allopathic institutions, or just to focus on the osteopathic match and those programs. I have no idea what the climate is like for DO graduates in ACGME residencies. There just seem to be not very many osteopathic anesthesiology residency programs in the "Opportunities" web site, and none of these are in places I would first choose to live. Is there anyone who can tell me how competitive it is out there? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Check the 1999 ACGME Unmatched % at this address under the subheading, Specialties:
http://www.medschool.com

If you notice, anesthesiology was the lowest unmatched percentile (1.1%) compared to the other fields. This means you can get into your 1st or 2nd choice of residency programs relatively easily....so don't sweat it if you GPA or board scores are not stellar enough. Also, read the Pros & Cons on this specialty. The Cons are what I believe make this specialty very unattractive to many. Do you plan to practice in an urban area? With the growing percentage of nurse anesthesist (sp?), finding a job after residency might be a challege. This explains having the lowest unmatched percentile!! I hope this helps!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 03-11-2000).]

If you want anesth you shouldnt have a problem with getting one of your top choices.

I just went through the interview process forEM. I was considering Anesth for a long time and did a rotation at Henry Ford. Most Anesth programs will give you credit for your osteopathic internship, keep that in mind. Also, if you are interested in a particular program call them. In all likeliness they will bring you to their program and pay for your hotel and stuff and will show you around. If you have done reasonably well on your board exam, you should not have any problem matching with a top program.