1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

anesthesiology vs obgyn

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by lmthoms1, May 7, 2001.

1. lmthoms1

lmthoms1 Member
    7+ Year Member

Can someone help me? I 'm interested in these two specialties well kinda torn between these two specialities and would like the pros and cons including residency. I've researched what I could but really couldn't find any solutions. SOOOOOOO I said since most of the members on this forum are senior members that know it all :rolleyes: I'd post it. That was a compliment :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CHM

CHM Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Reasons I chose ob/gyn....
    1. Usually dealing with relatively young and healthy patients. Just don't have the personaliy and patience to deal with elderly patients who stay in hospital for months.
    2. Good combination of both primary care and surgical experience.
    3. Lots of patient interaction and continuity of care.

Have actually considered anest at one point, but did not like the idea of knowing tons and doing nothing, just waiting for the occasional emergency.

4. Justin4563

Justin4563 Membership Revoked
    Removed

WELL I WILL TELL YOU THIS MUCH I AM AN ANESTHESIA RESIDENT AND WOULD RECOMMEND THE FIELD TO ANYONE.. REALLY A FABULOUS SPECIALTY,.. 100PERCENT RESPONSIBILITY FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.. REALLY NICE SCIENCE, NICE LIFESTYLE AND THE PAY IS ABOVE AVERAGE. I WILL REPLY TO THE PERSON WHO SAID KNOW TONS DO NOTHING, CANT BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. IF YOU LIKE CONTINUITY OF CARE AND CLINICS AND OFFICES AND YOU KNOW THINGS LIKE THAT DO OB. IF Y OU WANT TO BE A TRUE CONSULTANT ANESTHESIA IS FRO YOU :cool:

5. Amadeus

Amadeus Member
    10+ Year Member

Justin,
    From what I understand anesthesia is versatile in terms of you can work strictly in the OR all the way to only clinic (pain management). However, can you comment more about the lifestyle of both the resident and the attending (hours, call, job satisfaction, etc.)? Now, I heard the hours are long and that you usually have call for the rest of your life. :confused:

6. codeguy

codeguy Member
    7+ Year Member

Long hours. Hmm...Well the only experience I have with anesthesiology is with 2 friends of mine who are brothers, both Anest's and they have great hours, amazing pay and take loooooong vacations.

Needless to say they love it.

YMMV... :p