Angel rankings of PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsinla

SDMD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was trying some angel ranking problems and I just feel like i can not get more than half of the questions right
people told me that i should place a piece of paper in front of screen and draw the angel and then compare it to the others
i think this is against the testing center rules and if they catch you, you fail the test
anyone has any idea how to do the ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

usually the biggest and/or smallest angle is obvious..so u pick that out right away..and will narrow your choices most of the times.. then you just gotta concentrate on two or three angles rather than for.

dont' "trace" the angles cuz it'll take too much time..but u can compare it against the edge of ur paper..and u won't get in trouble.. i touched the screen NUMEROUS times when i took the dat..and didn't get in trouble.

i heard the barrons book does a good job explainin how to attack pat problems well.

Noooo. They allow paper, so what's wrong with tracing the angles. Use whatever advantage you have there is nothing against that but be very careful in tracing. Most answers tho can be figured out by finding largest and/or smallest angles of the bunch

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my post is based on whatever stuff I've practiced on thus far from Kaplan's materials, so take it for what it's worth:

I found that when I started down the angle rankings, I was doing this whole paper-to-the-screen business and such, but I have to say... the method mentioned above helps. Find the smallest and the largest. By then, you'll usually have a 50-50 shot at getting it right. The rest is just practice and getting your mind accustomed to discriminating between angles that are very close.

I also found that the less thinking you do, the better. Pick an answer, and run with it. These questions are supposed to take (according to Kaplan) something like 40 seconds tops. Tops. Pick one, be confident, and move on. Have to get to those paper folding questions, you know...

aranjuez

I usually look for the largest and smallest one first, then look at the posiible answers. Then I take my thumbs and place them both at the tip of the angles, spacing them equally, then look and compare. I do this b/c the various lengths make it very Hard for me to tell which is big, but when you see the same amount of each angle its a bit easier to tell. Practice on the COMPUTER, achiever or topscore. Its alot different then on paper.

I wouldn't risk the tracing method...at the center I did my test it was very obvious that they were keeping an eye on us, so I would avoid taking th chance.

One thing that helped me was to use my thumbs to cover up almost all of the lines except maybe about a cm. That way the angle was very small and I could look at it more closely. What I did was used my two thumbs and covered the two angles I wanted to decide between. I left about 1 cm of the angle showing and stared very closely at each with one eye. Usually after a few seconds I can tell one looks a little bigger than the other. I do this only when it isn't obvious and, like the others said, I'm choosing between the two tough angles.

I don't know exactly how well it worked on the real DAT, cause they don't tell you what you missed...but I got a 23 on the PAt and I never missed on angle questions in the practices.

djeffreyt said:
I wouldn't risk the tracing method...at the center I did my test it was very obvious that they were keeping an eye on us, so I would avoid taking th chance.

One thing that helped me was to use my thumbs to cover up almost all of the lines except maybe about a cm. That way the angle was very small and I could look at it more closely. What I did was used my two thumbs and covered the two angles I wanted to decide between. I left about 1 cm of the angle showing and stared very closely at each with one eye. Usually after a few seconds I can tell one looks a little bigger than the other. I do this only when it isn't obvious and, like the others said, I'm choosing between the two tough angles.

I don't know exactly how well it worked on the real DAT, cause they don't tell you what you missed...but I got a 23 on the PAt and I never missed on angle questions in the practices.

That's what I do on Topscore and have only missed one on Test 2, but do what works for you of course.