Angels and Donors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I would like to encourage those who use SDN on a regular basis to become Angels or Donors. As you may already know, SDN is non-profit, and site operations and server space are paid for by these types of user donations. The more Angels and Donors we have, the better job we can do at expanding smoothly as the site grows.

Here are the perks of becoming a Donor/Angel
- PM inbox capacity increases to 250 messages
- maximum avatar size increases to 150x150 pixels
- increased upload quota
- user picture option enabled in profile
- ability to close your own threads
- Angels do not view the banner or text based advertisements

You can subscribe to become a donor for $7.50 or an Angel for $20. This subscription lasts for one year. If interested, please visit:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/subscriptions.php

Members don't see this ad.

Is paypal safe to use? It's never been hacked or anything? I wish Lee would just post a PO box or something so we could send a check :p

tinkerbelle said:
Is paypal safe to use? It's never been hacked or anything? I wish Lee would just post a PO box or something so we could send a check :p
this is what I keep asking. I looked at the donor instructions a little earlier today and even clicked on it, but it still only accepts paypal. I don' have an account and i don't trust it...so still waiting for you to accept credit cards and checks.

Members don't see this ad :)
tinkerbelle said:
I believe so. I've used it many times with no ill effects.

PayPal is VERY safe, I have used it for 3 years now for ebay buying and selling. Don't worry, they are safe and legit, in fact, ebay owns PayPal now.

tinkerbelle said:

Paypal is very safe. If you're paranoid, just deposit a small amount of money into the paypal account, and then do not connect it with any checking accounts or anything. But really, there's nothing to be concerned about. :thumbup:

Just think back to how much information you've obtained from using this site. I realized that if it weren't for SDN I would have been clueless going in to the MSTP application process, and that's why I donated a week or so ago.

Yeah I got pretty scared about PayPal after reading an anti-PayPal site, but I went ahead and got a PayPal membership and donated. It's the least you can do when you're hogging bandwith with 3230532094802 posts :oops:. Seriously though, I've had no problems with my account and I've used it quite a few times.

P.S. SDN rocks! :horns: So support SDN :D

javert said:
If you're paranoid, just deposit a small amount of money into the paypal account, and then do not connect it with any checking accounts or anything.

yes, i am paranoid :laugh: but i suppose if y'all say it's safe i'll try it.

i think psycho should try it first though :p

tinkerbelle said:
yes, i am paranoid :laugh: but i suppose if y'all say it's safe i'll try it.

i think psycho should try it first though :p
sorry, i'm holding out for them to accept credit cards and checks; it will happen sooner or later

Psycho Doctor said:
sorry, i'm holding out for them to accept credit cards and checks; it will happen sooner or later

well then you suck :mad: :p who am i going to complain too when i lose all my wonderful money?

tinkerbelle said:
well then you suck :mad: :p who am i going to complain too when i lose all my wonderful money?
:laugh: :laugh: you can still complain to me...i promise not to say "I told you so..." I'm really a sympathetic guy

Psycho Doctor said:

Paypal will let you donate using a credit card without signing up for an account, you know!

Now put your all's money where your mouth is! :thumbup: :D

javert said:
Paypal will let you donate using a credit card without signing up for an account, you know!

Now put your all's money where your mouth is! :thumbup: :D

oh, why bother going thru paypal then? i'll have to check it out

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
oh, why bother going thru paypal then? i'll have to check it out

Because in order to accept credit cards themselves, SDN would have to set up a Merchant Account through a bank or other financial institution. I've done this before for a web hosting business I ran, and the fees involved (monthly fee + per transaction fee + % of payment fee + authorization fee + CC company fee + ...) are quite expensive unless you have a lot of high-value transactions per month. It's cheaper for people (like me and SDN) who have few, low-value transactions per month to go through an intermediary like Paypal--while they still take a % of each donation, they don't have monthly fees--thus making it a better financial option.

By using Paypal, more of your money is going to SDN rather than to some financial institution!

Paypal for some reason gets a bad rap for being insecure or the like, but it's very secure and a great service for small companies and non-profits.

javert said:

oh yay :) You're right. I didn't have to make an account after all.

Thanks for the explanation, Javert! :)

Seriously folks, I joined this site over a year and a half ago. In that time, I learned so much about the application process that when I went through it this year it held few surprises. Likewise, the valuable advice given in the medical student and residency forums is almost priceless. In some cases, I know MORE about options for residency and test prep than friends in med school who DON'T come to SDN. So in my opinion donating has been totally worth it.

@ the $7.50 (Donor) level : TWO CENTS A DAY!!
@ the $20 (Angel) level : FIVE CENTS A DAY!!

Totally worth it in my opinion. Heck, I probably spend that much a week in coffee. :laugh:

*Edit* I just put my money where my mouth is. :)

tinkerbelle said:
Tinkerbelle! Thanks so much for donating!!! :clap:

javert said:
Paypal is very safe. If you're paranoid, just deposit a small amount of money into the paypal account, and then do not connect it with any checking accounts or anything. But really, there's nothing to be concerned about. :thumbup:

Just think back to how much information you've obtained from using this site. I realized that if it weren't for SDN I would have been clueless going in to the MSTP application process, and that's why I donated a week or so ago.
Javert, thanks for donating! Awesome.

Evo, what happened to your mod status? It seems like your mod symbol was suddenly replaced by an angel.

My little arrow was starting to look a little weak compared to all you halo folks. PD, your turn.

liverotcod said:
My little arrow was starting to look a little weak compared to all you halo folks. PD, your turn.

done
ui_angel.gif

and they only asked if i wanted to save info for pay pal and make a password at the end..i still said "no"

liverotcod said:
Strong work, liverotcod!!! :thumbup:

liverotcod said:
Not just "done," but "well done!" Thanks, PD :thumbup:
i was planning on doing it as soon as i saw tinkerbelle's post saying she did it without paypal but then you really put me on the spot :smuggrin: so i couldn't delay it another minute :laugh:

EvoDevo said:
PD!!!

Way to step up! Thanks so much! :clap:
sure...i should have done it a long time ago as this site has proved very helpful to me!@ :love:

Wow, all of those weary of paypal don't shop on ebay enough ;)

Hmm I would be more encouraged to give if a certain mod would talk "military" to me :love: ;)

don't have much money, but for all the help i've received, i suppose SDN is entitled to its cut, eh?

NubianPrincess said:
Hmm I would be more encouraged to give if a certain mod would talk "military" to me :love: ;)
Oh yeah? Heh.

*ahem*

[Marine DI voice]

Did you donate, Princess? Huh? Did you??? I'm waaaiiii-ting!

*taps foot*

A-ha! You donated! Out-F***in-Standing!! You're a credit to SDN and the Corps! Now drop and give me twenty!

[/Marine DI voice]

superdevil said:
don't have much money, but for all the help i've received, i suppose SDN is entitled to its cut, eh?
Thanks a bunch, SD. :thumbup:

Say, where are you gonna end up this fall?

EvoDevo said:
Thanks a bunch, SD. :thumbup:

Say, where are you gonna end up this fall?
no prob, evo. :cool:

well, if it turns out that i have to pay "sticker price" at every school once the financial aid dust settles, i'll probably end up at ohio state. i really like dartmouth and wake, but they're far from home and crazy-expensive. now, if washu or yale comes calling, all bets are off, of course! :laugh:

superdevil said:
no prob, evo. :cool:

well, if it turns out that i have to pay "sticker price" at every school once the financial aid dust settles, i'll probably end up at ohio state. i really like dartmouth and wake, but they're far from home and crazy-expensive. now, if washu or yale comes calling, all bets are off, of course! :laugh:
Yeah, sticker price is teh suck. However, I'd consider it for WashU or Yale. Well, we need to throw a "I'm going to X school, let's celbrate" party here in PA sometime in May. :D

Just so you know - I have mental images of all of you. If I see a tumour walking down the street, I'll think "That's Evo Devo alright."

***SWOONS*****Reaches for credit card****

lightnk102 said:
Just so you know - I have mental images of all of you. If I see a tumour walking down the street, I'll think "That's Evo Devo alright."
Heh. And what did you think when I had the Frog avatar?

Thanks for donating, sir! :thumbup:

mshheaddoc said:
I did it for the bigger avatar ;)
w00t!!! Go Mushy!!! Now that your avatar size is bigger, you need to put your assets to work (as an avatar)! :p :p

NubianPrincess said:
***SWOONS*****Reaches for credit card****
:love: You're the best! Drop me a PM and let me know what's the shizzle! :)

EvoDevo said:
Hi guys:

I would like to encourage those who use SDN on a regular basis to become Angels or Donors. As you may already know, SDN is non-profit, and site operations and server space are paid for by these types of user donations. The more Angels and Donors we have, the better job we can do at expanding smoothly as the site grows.

Here are the perks of becoming a Donor/Angel
- PM inbox capacity increases to 250 messages
- maximum avatar size increases to 150x150 pixels
- increased upload quota
- user picture option enabled in profile
- ability to close your own threads
- Angels do not view the banner or text based advertisements

You can subscribe to become a donor for $7.50 or an Angel for $20. This subscription lasts for one year. If interested, please visit:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/subscriptions.php

I was going to donate, but as I threatened in those heinous days of harsh treatments from the mods - including you, sir - I will NEVER donate to SDN. Besides, this amounts to solicitation and should not be in pre-allo. Thanks.

GuyLaroche said:
I was going to donate, but as I threatened in those heinous days of harsh treatments from the mods - including you, sir - I will NEVER donate to SDN. Besides, this amounts to solicitation and should not be in pre-allo. Thanks.

how ironic.... gg bb

looks like sdn got quite a bit of donations today :)

hey evo, are you really reading first aid? :eek: :scared: man, my gunner instincts are letting me down...better rush out and buy some books! :laugh:

EvoDevo said:
I'm really proud of everyone today. :) You guys are great!

I think this thread was a great idea, because I didn't know much at all about donating, or that you could even donate. And I always wondered what the little angel smiley stood for. :D

Maybe it is solicitation, but it's the best kind of solicitation, and if it hadn't been in pre-allo I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Just think about how much your lousy pre-med advisor makes: $60K/yr? 75k? You're definitely paying him/her more than $20 a year!

Now, think about how much better SDN is than your premed advisor. If you had to choose between the two, who would you go with?

Enough said.

Crake said:
Just think about how much your lousy pre-med advisor makes: $60K/yr? 75k? You're definitely paying him/her more than $20 a year!

Now, think about how much better SDN is than your premed advisor. If you had to choose between the two, who would you go with?

Enough said.

:laugh:

This is so true! Great point, Crake.

superdevil said:
hey evo, are you really reading first aid? :eek: :scared: man, my gunner instincts are letting me down...better rush out and buy some books! :laugh:
Yep. Really. :)

:smuggrin: