angle on the UOP admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious credentials one needs (high GPA, high DAT), does anyone know what UOP goes for in particular? Every school has it's own angle. UOP is my first choice and I would really like to go there. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm not on the admissions board or anything, but it seems to me that UOP isn't actually all that worried about GPA; their average entering class GPA is consistently one of the lowest in the country. (Doesn't mean they put out lousy dentists, though) On the other hand, the DAT average is pretty high. Other than that, I think they're also looking for someone willing to go at least a quarter mill into debt - ouch!

Guess I just pointed out the obvious, didn't I. Sorry I wasn't more help. Maybe someone else has something useful to offer.

The debt aspect bothers me somewhat but a lot of schools will force you to go into a quarter mill debt like NYU, BU, USC and most other private schools when living costs are included obviously. Still that extra year to earn salary is huge since I'm content with being a general dentist and have no aspirations to specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey mcataz,

Let me first say that you've made a fine decision in choosing UOP as your first choice. Like you, I only plan to be a general practioner post graduation, thus maximal clinical exposure was first on my list when choosing between all the schools. Any school will provide its students with an adequate clinical experience, but that extra year out in real-world practice you get from UOP will prove to be more of an experience than any time spent in the school clinics. So, in my opinion, the money is not a a huge factor if you want to be able to get a headstart on developing your hand-skills and productivity.

Now to answer your question in regards to what UOP looks for in an applicant, I feel that the most important and often overlooked thing you can do is to express interest in the school, especially for UOP. Having a decent GPA (3.0 +/- 0.2) and DAT scores (20+ across the board) is a given for any school. What makes UOP different is their humanistic approach, which means that everyone at all levels is treated like family. If you've ever visited UOP, you'll know then that the atmosphere there is very warm and friendly, unlike some other schools that I visited during my interviews. Knowing this, the best way to let the admissions committe know that you'll fit in well at UOP is to show them that you, too, are warm and friendly. I received this tip from the clinic director at the AEGD residency clinic in Union City, where I interned for a year. Once they received my application, I made several random visits to the school just to get my name out to the staff there. In doing that, I got to meet some very important people in the decision-making process. The director even told me to have my parents visit the school to ensure that I'll receive a "strong" consideration, but I didn't feel that I needed to go that far. If your GPA and DAT are well-below average, then you could try that approach. Hope all this helps and good luck! PM me if you have any more questions about UOP. Trust that I did my research before deciding to throw down $250K just so I could go to UOP.

UoPSoD 2006

Originally posted by SMDdent
..... but that extra year out in real-world practice you get from UOP will prove to be more of an experience than any time spent in the school clinics. So, in my opinion, the money is not a a huge factor if you want to be able to get a headstart on developing your hand-skills and productivity.

This is so true. I was told by many dentists that you learn so much more in the first couple years out than the whole time you were in dental school.

Ditto!

In my opinion the atmosphere there is not as competitive as other schools and people are willing to help when you need it.

I for one am considering specializing. The fact that UOP only has Ortho and OMFS departments means that as a student, I will see and be very proficient at doing both general and specialty procedures (rather than referring out). This will come in very handy for sure!

Best of luck.