Angle Ranking HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chubz0924

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I do the bootcamp generators I get 11/15 right, however when I am taking the test, I only get 5/15. Any advice on how to approach angle ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

For the angles with differently lengthened sides, you can block the longer side with your thumb, squint and visualize. I found this helpful today

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe you are allowed to hold anything up to the screen during the actual test, but that is something to take up with your testing center.

I had similar problems leading up to my DAT, I would get between 5-7 right sometimes. What I would suggest is loading the angle ranking generator up and do 25-40 a day, practice will make perfect. Look up a couple of strategies on some other SDN posts and just experiment and see what works for you. On my real test, the angle difficulty was more similar to the generator anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
really? haha not touching the screen tho. thumb few inches in front of your eye.. anyone know?
There is a big sticker on the top of the screen saying "DO NOT TOUCH SCREEN" lol. For angles I held up my sheets close to my eyes and squinted. Also, the angles are not as hard as they are on BC generators/tests.

Reactions: 2 users
hill method as in ranking steepness is recommended,
also look at the vertex. look to eliminate answers choices quickly. You can usually pick out the largest or smallest which helps narrow down choices!
In what order are you attempting the PAT questions. I think this matters, is why I ask

When I do the bootcamp generators I get 11/15 right, however when I am taking the test, I only get 5/15. Any advice on how to approach angle ranking?

also look at the vertex. look to eliminate answers choices quickly. You can usually pick out the largest or smallest which helps narrow down choices!
In what order are you attempting the PAT questions. I think this matters, is why I ask

Currently I am doing Hole punch, Cube counting, Pattern folding, Angles, Keyholes, and TFE.

I was also doing terrible for angle ranking, scoring 5/15's. What is did was completely ignore the answer choices and sit back a little away from the screen and go back and forth between ALL of them and seeing which is the LARGEST of all and then which is the SMALLEST of all. This will either get you the answer right away or at least bring it down to 2. The main thing is to not let the answer choices to trip you up or confuse you, and also the compare all of them even if it obvious two pairs are smaller than the other pair. After using this and a little bit of continual practice, I was easily getting 12-13/15's

Currently I am doing Hole punch, Cube counting, Pattern folding, Angles, Keyholes, and TFE.
I did Keyhole, hole punch, cube counting, pattern folding, TFE then angles. But just find what works for you. 6 sections, 60 minutes means should spend more than 10 mins per section.
I chose to do the sections I would score the most points in first. I left angles last cuz you just dont know what their gonna throw at you on test day. Angles were my weakest sections.

I did Keyhole, hole punch, cube counting, pattern folding, TFE then angles. But just find what works for you. 6 sections, 60 minutes means should spend more than 10 mins per section.
I chose to do the sections I would score the most points in first. I left angles last cuz you just dont know what their gonna throw at you on test day. Angles were my weakest sections.
Spend no more than I think is what you meant, and just to give my opinion, I did angles first because I feel like I would get too tired if I left them for the end and then they'd all look the same. I did angles, hole punch, cube, pattern, keyhole, TFE. Didn't do as well as I had hoped, and I think it's because I didn't time myself properly on each section, so be sure you do!!! It's very important!!! Time flies by quickly! :(

Reactions: 1 user
Spend no more than I think is what you meant, and just to give my opinion, I did angles first because I feel like I would get too tired if I left them for the end and then they'd all look the same. I did angles, hole punch, cube, pattern, keyhole, TFE. Didn't do as well as I had hoped, and I think it's because I didn't time myself properly on each section, so be sure you do!!! It's very important!!! Time flies by quickly! :(

thanks for catching my typo. On generators, I would take like a min per problem. That's just too slow for the real thing. No more than 10 mins per section.