Angle Ranking Strategies???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyang81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Crack DAT PAT, and my worst subject is angle ranking... anyone have any suggestions to improve this section? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I've got another one: look at them VERY VERY closely for a little bit, then look at them from far away right after.
I agree with jigabodo. I wished I did this during the real DAT. I probably would have scored way higher on the PAT if I had.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only missed one angle question on Topscore by using a marker or pen, creating a 90 degree angle with one of the lines ~ a half inch away from the given angle, and using the line length to decide which angle was the largest.

I look at the slope of the angle....and compare w/ a right angle (90 degree). I kind of think of it as a mouth and how wide it's open.

To practice what I mean, use your index finger and thumb.....make an L...(90 degree). Then gradually move index finger closer to thumb. As your finger gets closer to your thumb, the angle is getting smaller. By doing this, you'll see how slope affects angle size.

Low (small) slope are usually smaller.
Steep slope (close to right angle) are larger.

Lastly, it may help in many cases to think of the angles as being composed of two sides...one the base and the other the slope. Sometimes, it helps to make the side you think is a slope the base. (Gosh....I hope that makes sense to you....meaning it's easier to compare a different side than what is drawn as the obvious slope side....???) (I'm almost 100% sure that this may sense to know but me...)

I hope I make sense to someone out there. :)

I used a pair of glasses as a magnifying glass to enlarge the angles. Worked wonders.

Angles.
Scanning from left to right, identify either largest or smallest first. Don't second guess yourself. Identify corresponding answer choices. Choose between options remaining. If you chose the largest initially, then from the possible answers seek to determine the correct smallest angle. Speeds up the whole process.

Thanks for the help...looking closely, then looking far away really helped. This time I got 14/15 for the angle ranking. I guess sometimes other people's strategies are refreshing.