angry and confused but not about vet school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haitwun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/05/national/main4069876.shtml?source=search_story

It is about this story. To my understanding, Eight Belles ran the kentucky derby but broke both front ankles after she finished the race. The vets on staff decided to euthanize her right there on the track. What I do not understand is, don't horses ever recover from these kinds of injuries? Was it really necessary to euthanize an animal whose physiological functions are otherwise in good shape? There has to be some kind of treatment where we could have used to help this animal heal or at least get by. Any horse experts out there?
Sorry, euthanasia of any animal is still difficult fact of life for me.

Members don't see this ad.

What you have to realize is that horses are large, heavy animals that carry most of their body weight on their front legs. A break in one front leg - much less two - usually spells the end, unless money is absolutely not an issue.

Horses carry 70% of their body weight on their front legs - which are smaller and more delicate than their back legs. Add to this the fact that a horse is not built for bedrest - complications can arise when they're off their feet for too long - (too much weight on their lungs, among other things) and this means that the horse has to be held in a standing position - without putting all their weigh ton those legs - for the time it takes in order for the bone to heal (weeks). This usually means a sling of some sort, essentially holding the horse up.

Further complicating this is the fact that horses don't *like* being held still, and you've got a delicate mixture of sedatives involved in the mix, for a long period of time.

In the case of Eight Belles, NO support for the most weight in her body (there's not a second, healthy front leg to take up the slack) - which means all of the above is going to be extremely difficult to manage.

All of this doesn't even take into consideration the fact that a horse that is immobilized does not cope well. There are issues in putting too much weight on the healthy legs, and having issues arise and complications that can be at times worse than the initial injury, and in many cases even doing all of the above fails and the horse has to be euthanized anyways, due to complications or unsuccessful healing.

The long and short of it is that a broken leg usually means euthanization for a horse, unless it is an easy one to fix. Two front legs broken?

Trust me, it's horrible that it happened - but it really was the best thing for her.

The euthanasia of Eight Belles was the humane thing to do. The fact that she broke both of her front fetlocks would mean a long, painful, and most likely unsuccessful recovery. Horses, unlike humans, have to stand on their feet and thus legs at least 20 hours of the day. The strain she would have put on her hind legs would ultimately cause laminitis in them causing severe lameness in all four legs. It would be much like Barbaro's story, however, Eight Belles did not have to undergo the approx 8 months of severe pain. I believe, as a vet student, horse lover, and a person of the equine industry, that the decision of Eight Belles' fate was the most humane one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am by no means a horse expert, but one of the things we were talking about at home and at work was the urgency with which they euthanized her. Because of the situation this was probably the most humane thing to do. After a race of this kind she would have been in a state (due to adrenaline, etc) to probably feel the least pain. I think one of the vets at work said there was a 10-15 minute window under which they had to make a decision before she started to suffer. Because they chose to euthanize her on the track right away, she probably suffered the least amount possible after such a devastating injury.

I was unhappy about this until I read the other response. I guess it was the humane thing to do. Poor horse!

Seriously--have you seen the photos? The horse had fractured both cannon bones and also her sesamoids in both legs, I believe. What did you want them to do? She had nothing in front to bear weight on--and horses carry 60% of their weight on their front legs. She wouldn't have been able to stand. On one leg, the bones had come through the skin.

I was SO glad they euthanized her so quickly--she was high on adrenaline and probably not in much pain--to wait would have been the epitome of cruelty. They decided to try to save Barbaro, for example, because he broke one hind leg--which bore only 20% of his weight (roughly) as opposed to 60 for the two front legs that Eight Belles broke. Even so, Barbaro endured a long and unsuccessful recovery. While I feel that Barbaro's situation WAS handled humanely and fairly, to attempt to save Eight Belles would have been ridiculous. She was also a very large and heavy filly and would likely not have recovered to be pasture sound even if they had ever gotten her to stand.

There was simply no possible way to repair everything she had injured. I'm really disgusted that people would feel that euthanasia was the wrong decision.

Easy there Canada - some people simply don't understand why they have to euthanize a horse for that reason. If they understood it was the most humane route and that recovery is essentially impossible, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Just remember, some people don't know anything about horses/racing, and just see an animal being killed.

There was simply no possible way to repair everything she had injured. I'm really disgusted that people would feel that euthanasia was the wrong decision.

It seems to me that the people that are opposed to the fact that she was euthanized are uneducated as to the actual anatomy of a horse. Many people have limited knowledge of it, and as a result think that fixing a horse with two broken legs is like fixing a person with two broken legs, and hey, they even have two extra.

However, everyone is uneducated at some point. When I look back on some of my "knowledge" before I started working at the vets, I can't imagine that I used to think that. For example, I used to think that PETA was a great group, just to name a glaring example.

As soon as people realize the reality of the situation however, the fact that she was euthanized makes more sense to them.

Easy there Canada - some people simply don't understand why they have to euthanize a horse for that reason. If they understood it was the most humane route and that recovery is essentially impossible, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Just remember, some people don't know anything about horses/racing, and just see an animal being killed.

I know, and I provided an explanation. My personal feeling is "disgusted". I wasn't attacking anyone, but it does upset me that people think this way. Hopefully now that we explained, they won't be upset about euthanasia.

Remember, those of you who aren't veterinary students, euthanasia means "good death"--it's not just an easy out or done out of laziness.

I know, and I provided an explanation. My personal feeling is "disgusted". I wasn't attacking anyone, but it does upset me that people think this way. Hopefully now that we explained, they won't be upset about euthanasia.

Remember, those of you who aren't veterinary students, euthanasia means "good death"--it's not just an easy out or done out of laziness.

While I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree with everyone about Eight Belles, I will say that there are, however, some pet owners that feel that euthanasia IS an easy way out. I'm sure that more than a few of you have heard of or witnessed pet owners putting their animals to sleep merely because they can't handle them (this happens a lot with ferrets).

But back to the topic, euthanasia was absolutely the right thing to do in Eight Belles case. As some one pointed out already, the poor thing had bone through the skin on one leg. There's no fixing that for a horse unfortunately.

No owner wants to euthanize a horse, especially one that has just placed second in the derby, making her worth millions. And the last thing Churchill Downs officials want to do is to put a horse down on the track in front of 150,000 fans and millions watching on television.

But her injuries were devastating and unsurvivable. A human athlete with a similar injury would probably be in traction for a while, have several surgeries and then recover in a wheel chair. Even then, they would risk potential amputation because of the vascular injuries.

Just getting a 1000 pound patient -- scared to death and in tremendous pain -- up and into the van would have been heroic to the point of being inhumane.

There will be a lot of controversy about this incident, but nobody that understands the situation will be second-guessing the decision to euthanize her.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sure it is an easy way out and done out of laziness. How else do you explain why thousands of unwanted dogs and cats are put down at animal shelters?

There is a difference between inherently *being* an easy way out done through laziness, and *being used as* an easy way out done through laziness.

A BIG difference.

That being said, I take some issues with your comments about shelters and rescues, but that's another discussion for another day.

Main point, there's a difference. That should be noted.

Wow DVMorBust, your horse kinda looks like mine, same faceshape, coloring, and markings, at least from what I can tell from the tiny picture :) What kind is he/she?

I agree that it was the right decision. But I, for one, would like to see the "sport" of horse racing banned. Sport of kings, my a**. It's cruel, it's all about the money, and these types of injuries happen all too often.

I agree that it was the right decision. But I, for one, would like to see the "sport" of horse racing banned. Sport of kings, my a**. It's cruel, it's all about the money, and these types of injuries happen all too often.

Are you freaking kidding me? Every day you walk out the door you take a risk. **** happens. What about injuries in other sports like football and hockey? You think we should ban those too. Next, it'll be, "we shouldn't ride horses because it's cruel." Same damn **** that will lead to the banning of horse slaughter in this country.

Are you freaking kidding me? Every day you walk out the door you take a risk. **** happens. What about injuries in other sports like football and hockey? You think we should ban those too. Next, it'll be, "we shouldn't ride horses because it's cruel." Same damn **** that will lead to the banning of horse slaughter in this country.

You think *I* need to relax?

Comparing human injuries in football and hockey is completely irrelevant to injuries in horse-racing. First of all, people choose to play football and hockey, aware of the injuries they may face. Horses don't choose to participate in racing. Secondly, a lot of injuries in football and hockey are easily preventable, but what's a football game without tackling? Or a hockey game without checking? Saying that "every day you walk out the door you take a risk" is also irrelevant to the risks of horse racing. Horse racing entails exposure to a set a risks that wouldn't be there on a normal basis, whereas "walking out the door and taking a risk" entails exposure to risks for day-to-day activities. Horse racing doesn't have to be a day-to-day, normal activity.

I wouldn't go so far as to say horse-back riding is cruel, because I don't think it is. However, I personally don't agree with racing animals for profit (i.e. greyhound racing or horse racing). I'm more against greyhound racing because most of those dogs are completely expendable. In horse racing, however, it seems that many of the horses belong to people who take good care of the horses.

wingless - he's an appendix. Unfortunately, I lease this guy, I don't own him. He's awesome, though. Most honest, willing horse I've ever ridden. (Which is good, since I'm just getting back into it after 2 years out with a broken ankle + complications and my in-shapeness is not at its former 'able to handle psychos' state)

Maybe we should ban dog agility too, because they could break bones. And riding horses too. Oh, and letting horses run around in fields, because they can break bones that way, as well. The proportion of horses who have fatal breakdowns due to sports is TINY. It simply becomes so sensationalized by the media that people think it is a common occurance. DO I think horses are raced too young? Yes. Do I have my own issues with horse racing? Yes. But basing a label of cruelty off of a miniscule proportion of racers that injure themselves takes the focus off of some more important things that need to be changes about racing, and just makes it into a spectacle.

Sure it is an easy way out and done out of laziness.

Euthanizing an animal in severe pain and distress from which it will not recover, whether it be a horse with shattered legs, a cat in end-stage renal failure, a dog who has been HBC and is bleeding out...is the easy way done out of laziness?

I also am not sure if it was mentioned (didn't see it) - but horses get myositis/ pressure induced muscles necrosis and adhesions if you even LOOK at them wrong. Keeping a horse in a body sling for months is just *begging* for one of those problems. Not to mention laminitis, etc. I know it seems ridiculous, since broken bones are so easily fixed in people. But it comes down to the fact that a horse physiologically is practically guaranteed a huge array of extremely painful sequelae if "down" for a long period of time.

Maybe we should ban dog agility too, because they could break bones. And riding horses too. Oh, and letting horses run around in fields, because they can break bones that way, as well. The proportion of horses who have fatal breakdowns due to sports is TINY. It simply becomes so sensationalized by the media that people think it is a common occurance. DO I think horses are raced too young? Yes. Do I have my own issues with horse racing? Yes. But basing a label of cruelty off of a miniscule proportion of racers that injure themselves takes the focus off of some more important things that need to be changes about racing, and just makes it into a spectacle.

Sure it is an easy way out and done out of laziness.

Euthanizing an animal in severe pain and distress from which it will not recover, whether it be a horse with shattered legs, a cat in end-stage renal failure, a dog who has been HBC and is bleeding out...is the easy way done out of laziness?

I'll have to go back and check my post, but I don't recall suggesting that dog agility, riding horses or letting horses run around in fields should be banned. I do know from whence I speak, however. My father was an owner in the horse racing industry -- and don't kid yourself that it is anything other than a business -- for years and I saw enough at the track to convince me that it was something that I wanted no part of as a future vet. Another poster made the essential point: horses don't choose to participate in the "sport" -- they are viewed as property. And before you think I'm being ridiculous for characterizing horse racing as cruel, go work at a track for a few years and then get back to me.

Are there issues with the racing/eventing/breeding/whathaveyou industry? I doubt anyone would disagree that there are issues. But the issue is not that any of these things *exist*.

No. As WhtsTheFrequency stated, the actual number of deaths, severe injuries, and breakdowns is miniscule in comparison to the number of animals that compete.

Does this mean that there aren't issues that need to be addressed? Of course not. A lot of accidents are preventable - through better training, better managing of events, better breeding, better course design, better practices, better preventative care...

It's not a matter of 'should these sports exist or not'. It's a matter of 'what can we do to make them better'. Due to recent events in my life, no one will ever be able to convince me that certain recent accidents are or should be expected, accepted, or excusable losses. But it's not a question of cutting out horse sports from the world, it's a question of making them *better*, learning from mistakes, and making every effort to ensure that they don't happen again.

Comparing human injuries in football and hockey is completely irrelevant to injuries in horse-racing. First of all, people choose to play football and hockey, aware of the injuries they may face. Horses don't choose to participate in racing.

Are you kidding me?! You just TRY keeping a thoroughbred race horse from wanting to race... For some of them, it's probably more cruel to PREVENT them from running. When people say the horse has "heart", they mean that the horse WANTED to win. And you can't tell me that that doesn't exist. Those horses are bred to race and that's what they do. It's like saying it's cruel to make a foxhound go hunt. Like it or not, certain breeds of animals were bred for certain jobs and so it's literally in their genetics to do it. And while there are definately things about racing that should be changed, I don't feel that it should be banned at all. What needs to be focussed on is the age that they are raced, the surface they're racing on, and the genetic background of the horses. So many of the horses that breakdown have been or have ancestors that have been inbred to a horse named Native Dancer. Maybe some regulations should be placed on breeding programs, but to say racing should be banned period? Get real. If you want to make a positive change in something, you have to go about it realistically. There's too much big money behind horse racing for some bleeding heart types to be able to have it banned. I agree that the amount of breakdowns on the track is becomming worrisome and something DOES need to be done, but just getting worked up over it isn't going to get you anywhere.

Are you kidding me?! You just TRY keeping a thoroughbred race horse from wanting to race... those horses are bred to race and that what they do.

So the horse will start organizing his training when he is still a baby and still growing? The horse will push himself farther than he's ready to go and break down while still young? The horses will continue to choose to breed amongst themselves crosses that create injury timebombs? The horse will seek out drugs to enhance performance?

Don't try and make it sound like a horse who loves to run out in the field with friends is an animal that is signing up for this "sport."

No, a horse won't organize his training to keep competing. But many horses DO love what they do. True, they don't condition and train themselves. THey wouldn't read a magazine and go "cool! I want to try jumping something!" But once put into the situation, many of them thrive on the attention, teamwork, and even the sport. Once introduced, taking it away often leads to emotional issues.

This means that as riders, and as their caretakers, we owe it to them to make sure they are safe. They trust us, and it's our job to make sure that trust isn't violated.

Are you kidding me?! You just TRY keeping a thoroughbred race horse from wanting to race... those horses are bred to race and that what they do. It's like saying it's cruel to make a foxhound go hunt. And while there are definately things about racing that should be changed, I don't feel that it should be banned at all. What needs to be focussed on is the age that they are raced, the surface they're racing on, and the genetic background of the horses. So many of the horses that breakdown have been or have ancestors that have been inbred to a horse named Native Dancer. Maybe some regulations should be placed on breeding programs, but to say racing should be banned period? Get real. If you want to make a positive change in something, you have to go about it realistically. There's too much big money behind horse racing for some bleeding heart types to be able to have it banned. I agree that the amount of breakdowns on the track is becomming worrisome and something DOES need to be done, but just getting worked up over it isn't going to get you anywhere.

I'm overreacting?! :laugh: First of all, please actually read the post before commenting on it blindly... and putting words into my mouth. :rolleyes: Sorry if that seems mean, but not really because you obviously didn't read what I said... Let me elaborate:

I didn't say that I think horse racing should be banned, but I did say that I don't agree with exploiting race horses for profit. You're right, obviously thoroughbred and other such horses that are bred for running like to run. I'm not saying they shouldn't run. What I disagree with is the exploitation and how many horses are pushed to their limits all because of people wanting to make money.

So the horse will start organizing his training when he is still a baby and still growing? The horse will push himself farther than he's ready to go and break down while still young? The horses will continue to choose to breed amongst themselves crosses that create injury timebombs? The horse will seek out drugs to enhance performance?

Don't try and make it sound like a horse who loves to run out in the field with friends is an animal that is signing up for this "sport."

DVMorBust is exactly right. Ever wonder why many ex-race horses have neurotic incurable habits? Or are you not familliar enough with horses...? And the point is, that PETA and the like aren't going to be able to stop the racing industry. It's just not going to happen! So what you have to do is find things ABOUT the industry that CAN be changed.

And by the way, I am most certainly NOT referring to horses that love to run around in the field... I'm referring to that thoroughbred stallion that would rather rip your jugular out than be put out to pasture.

I'm surprised no one's brought this up yet.

For me the issue is whether a risk is acceptable in a given circumstance. Would you risk breaking your leg jumping out of a 2nd story window if your apartment was on fire? I'd say that's probably an acceptable risk. Would you risk breaking your leg jumping out of your window in hopes of getting on Jacka**?? You have to weigh the risk with the reason for taking it to see if it's worth it for that situation.

Yes, horses risk break their legs running around in the pasture. What's the reward? Mental well-being. Pretty important. Horses also risk breaking their legs on the racetrack, or X-country course. What's the reward? Is it purely entertainment? Or does it satisfy some deeper drive of the horses or people involved? How big is that risk, and how can we take reasonable steps to minimize it? How important is the reward? Some people will say it's still worth it, others won't. Because we are asking the horses to do something for our benefit, (assuming racing benefits people a lot more than horses), it is our responsibility to make sure that our reasoning for doing so is sound & justifiable, and that the risks are as low as we can reasonably make them.

(and for the reasons everyone else already stated, euthanizing Eight Belles immediately was really the only humane option)

I'm overreacting?! :laugh: First of all, please actually read the post before commenting on it blindly... and putting words into my mouth. :rolleyes: Sorry if that seems mean, but not really because you obviously didn't read what I said... Let me elaborate:

Sorry NoleDevil, I didn't mean to imply that YOU thought that racing should be banned. I took your first comment about them not wanting to be in the sport and ran with it. I know that other people had previously had posted about the banning of racing, and so I just led into it from there. Sorry if it implied that I was commenting soley on your post, I could have made that a bit clearer.

Like many other things, horse racing is great in theory, but then people's greed ruins it.

I feel the worst for the horses that don't make much/any money. Those are the ones that tend to get treated the worst.

Sorry NoleDevil, I didn't mean to imply that YOU thought that racing should be banned. I took your first comment about them not wanting to be in the sport and ran with it. I know that other people had previously had posted about the banning of racing, and so I just led into it from there. Sorry if it implied that I was commenting soley on your post, I could have made that a bit clearer.

It's all good! I usually don't get heated, but since it seemed like you didn't read what I said, I felt the need to clerify. It's easy to get mixed-up in emotion when you feel strongly about something - I understand! ;)

To put this in perspective, the breakdown rate in the US about 1.5 per 1000 starts. Compared to estimates in other regions, this could be improved. But the only way to get the rate to 0 is to stop racing. Racing shetland ponies might get you close though.

Rather than ban racing altogether, I think there are several more sensible things that could be done:

- Tighten up the drug rules. If a horse has to be medicated to race he shouldn't be racing. And shouldn't be bred.

- Ban the use of whip/crop. Mostly it just looks bad to the general public.

- Ban racing at 2 years of age. That's just too young for any discipline. 3 years is even pushing it.

- The jury is still out on synthetic tracks. But if the data over the next few years confirms they decrease breakdowns by 25%, as some estimates suggest, then those should be implemented.

Start with these and go from there.

Great points, Bill59!

I also think two year old sales should be rethought - like the Calder under tack sales of 2 year olds in training in late Feb/early March. These horses are BREEZING and may be two. The latest of these 2 year old under tack sales are in June. TOO EARLY TO BE BREEZING at the blazing paces it takes to get them sold.

I love racing, and truthfully love it to the core. But it's a misguided sport, with the top dogs needing to reevaluate - a horse than ran lightly as a 2 and 3 year old with moderate success due to lameness issues should not stand at stud just because he squeaked out a minor stakes win and a place in a breeder's cup race.

And I still think synthetic surfaces will help - we just need more R&D and trial and error!

Not only did she break both ankles, but the first break was pretty serious. The below article has details, but from what I understand, the first break opened the skin and allowed dirt, etc into the joint, which would obviously make the injury much more susceptible to infection. I definitely agree that euthanasia was the right decision, but coming right next to the two horse deaths at the Rolex, it has definitely made me think about what we're putting these horses through.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=45038

I want to preface this with that I do most definately agree that the horse should have been euthanized immediately, and that I also do NOT think that horse racing should be banned. I think that my problem with the situation is that they attempted to almost cover up 8 Belles' sacrifice initially until after announcing the winner with the excuse that they did not want to overshadow his victory. I understand that it is a huge accomplishment to win the Kentucky derby, but I do not think that it was right to hold off the announcement of Eight Belles' death because of it. I think that her death should have been announced immediately; afterall, she did sacrifice her life to the race. I know that it would have overshadowed the victory of Big Brown, but I also think that it should have.

I'd also like to agree that immediate euthanasia (before she suffered and became difficult to handle) was the best thing in this situation. I mean, I don't even have much experience with horses, but as soon as her two front legs were destroyed, I don't understand what else could have been done. Maybe they could have pulled off surgery (like i said, not an expert, so I don't really know), but even if they could, the rehab would have been a long,, drawn out ordeal and she would have suffered a lot. It's not like they could have just stuck her in a wheelchair and said 'have a nice life.'

Anyway, I'd also like to comment that I agree that racing is great in theory, but in reality, I think there's way too much mistreatment going on. I think a lot of the horses do love to run, but when you add people, especially greedy people, to the mix it gets all messed up. I don't think horse racing should be banned, but I do wish there were a way to ensure that the horses would be treated well.

Basically, I'm repeating what lots of other people said, but you know that just doesn't stop me from needing to open my big mouth. :laugh:

Horse slaughter has been banned in the US, this actually came up in my vet school interview.

I followed the head veterinarian at a race track for a day and he discussed at length the measures they take to prevent doping, pre-race exams to ensure the soundness of the horses, and the regulations owners must follow in regards to what drugs and treatments they can give to a horse before a race. Its a very heavily regulated industry with the goal of keeping the athletes as safe as possible and is constantly seeking to improve itself. I'm glad that most of us here are well educated on the topic and can explain to people (which I found myself doing repeatedly this weekend as all my friends found out about the tragedy) why the decision made was the best possible for Eight Belles.

Horse slaughter has been banned in the US, this actually came up in my vet school interview.

I followed the head veterinarian at a race track for a day and he discussed at length the measures they take to prevent doping, pre-race exams to ensure the soundness of the horses, and the regulations owners must follow in regards to what drugs and treatments they can give to a horse before a race. Its a very heavily regulated industry with the goal of keeping the athletes as safe as possible and is constantly seeking to improve itself. I'm glad that most of us here are well educated on the topic and can explain to people (which I found myself doing repeatedly this weekend as all my friends found out about the tragedy) why the decision made was the best possible for Eight Belles.

So now they get shipped to Mexico and Canada for slaughter. As if that's better.

Another poster made the essential point: horses don't choose to participate in the "sport" -- they are viewed as property.

Like I said about agility. Dogs don't CHOOSE to participate in agility. And its a sport that's pretty hard on the joints, and dogs can/do get in juries from overtraining. And as for property, they are property in name just as a dog is. But talk to a hardcore TB person, and you will see how much the adore their horse.

And before you think I'm being ridiculous for characterizing horse racing as cruel, go work at a track for a few years and then get back to me.

Actually, as I alluded to in my post --- I said the horse racing industry DOES have issues. What I said was, you cannot call it cruel based simply on injuries, because they are so rare. Categorize it as cruel using other more common occurances, if you so choose.

Another poster made the essential point: horses don't choose to participate in the "sport" -- they are viewed as property.

As WhtsTheFrequency is pointing out, horses no more choose to run than an Australian Shepherd chooses to herd sheep. Or than a Bloodhound chooses to track, or a Retreiver to retrieve, etc., etc., etc. Humans have bred animals for certain jobs and each breed has been optimized to accomplish said task. Ever wonder why there are so many neurotic dogs? Because pet owners don't understand that their dog was bred to DO something. Why are Jack Russel Terriors possibly the most annoying dog on the planet? Because they're ment to find and kill rats! But how many Jack Russel owners actually allow their dogs to do that job? Probably not many. So if you don't think a TB wants to participate in the sport of racing, you're dead wrong. And sure, it's because we've been breeding that desire into them for hundreds of years, but you can't get up on your soap box and decide in one day/month or year that they can't do it. Sure thoroughbreds can be used for other things, but most of them are highly competitive sports that are just as dangerous as flat racing. We're all potential/prospective or current vet students here, so try to look at this from a scientific and animal behavior point of view instead of an eccentric bleeding heart point of veiw... gosh, next you're going to say that they don't choose to put bits in their mouth, or wear shoes on their feet...

Like I said about agility. Dogs don't CHOOSE to participate in agility. And its a sport that's pretty hard on the joints, and dogs can/do get in juries from overtraining.

Mine sure does. If I say "play", "class", "Jeff" (our old trainer) or pick up her bag, or put on her agility collar, she screams at me (yea for vocal GSDs) until we go. I open the door and she voluntarily runs and does the equipment thats in the yard. She gets mad and antsy if we don't train for a while. She loves it.

Same thing with a racehorse. Most of those guys, if you take them out of training or don't run them, they get into a funk. Thoroughbreds run. Theyll race each other in the paddock, they'll drag you to the track to run. They'll run down another horse they see galloping in the distance on the track. These horses (and my dog) want to do this, we're just giving them the opportunity.

Its our responsibility as owners and trainers and veterinarians to keep them as healthy as we can and train them properly to allow them the chance to succeed. You can't bubble wrap those legs and keep them locked in a box stall or paddock, they'll probably be more likely to break their legs there anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen a pre-vet debate get this heated, we're some passionate people :)

Mine sure does. If I say "play", "class", "Jeff" (our old trainer) or pick up her bag, or put on her agility collar, she screams at me (yea for vocal GSDs) until we go. I open the door and she voluntarily runs and does the equipment thats in the yard. She gets mad and antsy if we don't train for a while. She loves it.

Same thing with a racehorse. Most of those guys, if you take them out of training or don't run them, they get into a funk. Thoroughbreds run. Theyll race each other in the paddock, they'll drag you to the track to run. They'll run down another horse they see galloping in the distance on the track. These horses (and my dog) want to do this, we're just giving them the opportunity.

Its our responsibility as owners and trainers and veterinarians to keep them as healthy as we can and train them properly to allow them the chance to succeed. You can't bubble wrap those legs and keep them locked in a box stall or paddock, they'll probably be more likely to break their legs there anyway.
Tell me about it. My favorite gelding is the most accident prone TB on the face of the earth. I swear he could look at something funny in his stall and sprain something. Now that he's in this big pasture with a bunch of ladies to run with, he all of a sudden doesn't get so clumsy. I think it's the ladies, but it's probably all of that running they do. Go figure. :)

Horse slaughter has been banned in the US,

Wow thats strange that horse slaughter is banned! (Sorry, off topic reply!) What's the rationale behind that when they're just going to get slaughtered somewhere else anyway??

Pressure from animal-rights groups, mainly.

Sadly, it's just going to lead/has already led to a huge increase in horse suffering, horse neglect, etc. And I can imagine it would make horse theft much more common, as well. :( Very sad.