Animal Nutrition Online/Correspondence Courses That Can Be Done Quickly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KathleenHadds31245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I officially accepted my spot at Auburn (who requires an animal nutrition course not offered at my university) and rejected all other admission offers, but the call I made to Oklahoma State this morning to enroll in the Animal Nutrition course with their correspondence education made me a little nervous. I had to pull some strings and call the professor of the course because they thought I was cutting it extremely close with a June 15th deadline (that is when Auburn wants all final transcripts to be sent). The professor agreed to let me enroll and said he would try his very best to have me finished by June 15th. However, he said there are NO GUARANTEES (capitalized in his e-mail) because he does have 200 other students in the class and he usually gets a 10-day turn around time to get each student's assignment graded and handed back to them. I will pay extra to have each exam over-nighted to me by mail, and I will have several assignments and several exams sent to me and completed at one time. But according to the woman I talked to on the phone there will be "a lot of pressure on me."

Auburn has indicated to me that there is absolutely no extension on the June 15th deadline. I am pretty confident that I can get this course done at lightning speed, especially if the most important thing in the world to me (vet school) is on the line. However, do you happen to know of any other online or correspondence courses besides Oklahoma that are known for being easier to get done in a shorter amount of time? What is everybody else's experience with taking Oklahoma or another nutrition course in a certain time frame?

Members don't see this ad.

Purdue University has an online animal nutrition course that is self paced. Its a little pricey to enroll in for out of state but seems like it could be worth it for a short deadline! I could send you the link if you are interested in that

Reactions: 4 users
Jacksonville State has an online course offered that runs may 6thish-june 10th. I know that is close, and I also don't know when they post their grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Purdue's online course is expensive, but it's also super easy and should be a quick completion.

You should be able to get through Purdue's course very quickly. The professor is timely and if you were willing to pay the extra for overnights exams etc from OkSU, then it's probably just worth the extra expense for the tuition at Purdue. Good luck!!

Is Purdue's course known to be easier or not take as long as Oklahoma? Ok is self-paced too, they just didn't know if I'd be able to do it

I just finished Oklahoma's Animal Nutrition. The turn around for grading and tests was very fast (a few days) initially, but got slower towards the end after vet school acceptance letters were sent out. I think a bunch of students enrolled then and OSU is swamped! With tests being done via snail mail, I would choose a 100% online course regardless of the cost to ensure the June 15 deadline is met.

I'm doing OK's right now and it's very fast. They let you send out the 2nd and 3rd exams together and then the 4th and 5th together as well so it really lets you finish it fast. I live in Miami and the exams usually arrive 2-3 days later even though they say they take 2 weeks. If you start this week you should be able to finish it before June 15th, which is also my due date. If you start tomorrow, you have exactly 2 months to finish the course, which should me more than enough time. As soon as you register, I suggest you do the first assignment so that you can order the exam right away (they require you finish at least the first one before they let you request the first exam). If you want I can send you my notes for that chapter so you can start doing the first assignment while you get your book.

I'm doing OK's right now and it's very fast. They let you send out the 2nd and 3rd exams together and then the 4th and 5th together as well so it really lets you finish it fast. I live in Miami and the exams usually arrive 2-3 days later even though they say they take 2 weeks. If you start this week you should be able to finish it before June 15th, which is also my due date. If you start tomorrow, you have exactly 2 months to finish the course, which should me more than enough time. As soon as you register, I suggest you do the first assignment so that you can order the exam right away (they require you finish at least the first one before they let you request the first exam). If you want I can send you my notes for that chapter so you can start doing the first assignment while you get your book.

Felixor90, that would be unbelievably helpful! I enrolled today but they said it will take about 5 days for them to send me the course syllabus/materials/etc. I just ordered the textbook from amazon as well so that should take a few days to get here. Did you take notes on your computer or by hand? I can PM you my e-mail address if you'd rather not send them via message on student doctor...

Oklahoma State's can be done really quickly if you are motivated. The assignments take three seconds to do (well most of them) and you can have multiple tests shipped to you at once. Turn around for assignments is usually a day or two. I remember submitting like 3 at once to him at one point, and I got them all back in a day's time. Tests are fairly simple and require SOME studying, but there is not anything too crazy on the tests that you won't find in the associated workbook. Once you get the book, I would complete the first 3 assignments (I think its 3 assignments, but I did take this 2 and a half years ago), and immediately request the exam sent to you. Assuming you do that, you should be more then fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Felixor90, that would be unbelievably helpful! I enrolled today but they said it will take about 5 days for them to send me the course syllabus/materials/etc. I just ordered the textbook from amazon as well so that should take a few days to get here. Did you take notes on your computer or by hand? I can PM you my e-mail address if you'd rather not send them via message on student doctor...

Nah that's ok I just copied and pasted them to you in a PM. I typed up my notes since it's much faster. The notes I sent you should be enough to answer all the questions for the first assignment, but if not just PM me. I recommend you submit that first assignment right now and email for them to send in your first exam already. Then in a few days, you should have your book with you to do assignments 2 and 3 and your test should arrive to your proctor shortly after. I'm looking for my course guide right now so I can PM you the very specific way they want you to turn in exams and request exams.

As for what @SummerTheLynx said, you have to complete the first 3 assignments before you take the exam, but you only need to send in the first one to be able to request it be sent to you. You can then work on the 2nd and 3rd while the exam gets to your proctor.

Edit: Sent you the info from the course packet. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nah that's ok I just copied and pasted them to you in a PM. I typed up my notes since it's much faster. The notes I sent you should be enough to answer all the questions for the first assignment, but if not just PM me. I recommend you submit that first assignment right now and email for them to send in your first exam already. Then in a few days, you should have your book with you to do assignments 2 and 3 and your test should arrive to your proctor shortly after. I'm looking for my course guide right now so I can PM you the very specific way they want you to turn in exams and request exams.

As for what @SummerTheLynx said, you have to complete the first 3 assignments before you take the exam, but you only need to send in the first one to be able to request it be sent to you. You can then work on the 2nd and 3rd while the exam gets to your proctor.

Edit: Sent you the info from the course packet. Good luck!

You're the best! I owe you a drink if you ever come to Auburn or if you're in Michigan before May. I can't do the first assignment yet because I don't have the prompt/assignment description, but I shall do it as soon as it comes in the mail. Good luck getting yours done before June 15th too!

I did OK State's class and I think finished it in a little over a month--you can actually get the 2nd-5th exams all sent at the same time (you just have to finish the first exam), and if you do an assignment every day/every other day, definitely doable. The prof also always got my assignments back to me in a (business) day or two, though I did my class in the summer so I'm not sure if the 200 students includes campus students. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're the best! I owe you a drink if you ever come to Auburn or if you're in Michigan before May. I can't do the first assignment yet because I don't have the prompt/assignment description, but I shall do it as soon as it comes in the mail. Good luck getting yours done before June 15th too!

Doh! I completely forgot to include that! I'll send it to you now. :)

Thanks for all the help guys! :) I just saw that the "expected delivery" of my textbook isn't until April 26th. I ordered from Abebooks because it was cheap but I just read a lot of bad reviews saying they take forever to get your stuff delivered to you and often extend past the estimated date of delivery. Do you think waiting that long to get my book and get started on the course will still give me enough time to complete the course by June 15th, or should I order another book from amazon or something and pay for overnight shipping? I'm just really antsy to get started and feel like I have little control over finishing the course on time when I am just waiting around for stuff to get to me

Thanks for all the help guys! :) I just saw that the "expected delivery" of my textbook isn't until April 26th. I ordered from Abebooks because it was cheap but I just read a lot of bad reviews saying they take forever to get your stuff delivered to you and often extend past the estimated date of delivery. Do you think waiting that long to get my book and get started on the course will still give me enough time to complete the course by June 15th, or should I order another book from amazon or something and pay for overnight shipping? I'm just really antsy to get started and feel like I have little control over finishing the course on time when I am just waiting around for stuff to get to me
I ordered my animal nutrition book from Abebooks on Thursday and received it this morning even though I was quoted an estimated delivery date of 3-8 business days. Abebooks represents many different small companies so it's not really fair for anyone to say that the company is slow.

I ordered my animal nutrition book from Abebooks on Thursday and received it this morning even though I was quoted an estimated delivery date of 3-8 business days. Abebooks represents many different small companies so it's not really fair for anyone to say that the company is slow.

That's reassuring. I paid for expedited delivery, which estimated "2-8" business days as well, so I'm not sure why my "expected delivery date" isn't until April 26th. I ordered the book last Tuesday, April 14th, so I'd think the latest they should have put for the estimated delivery date is April 24th.

So I just got my course guide for the course, and I see that Oklahoma puts their own little notes/summaries of the material from the book right in the course guide. For those of you who have taken the course, do you think I could take at least the first exam by just studying the course guide, and not reading the book? It looks like I will not receive the book until much later...

That's reassuring. I paid for expedited delivery, which estimated "2-8" business days as well, so I'm not sure why my "expected delivery date" isn't until April 26th. I ordered the book last Tuesday, April 14th, so I'd think the latest they should have put for the estimated delivery date is April 24th.
Oh that's frustrating - I'm sorry to hear that :(

So I just got my course guide for the course, and I see that Oklahoma puts their own little notes/summaries of the material from the book right in the course guide. For those of you who have taken the course, do you think I could take at least the first exam by just studying the course guide, and not reading the book? It looks like I will not receive the book until much later...
You can get away with it, but there were a lot of T/F questions on the exam that were taken verbatim from the book, so it will definitely make it harder for you if you don't read it.

I'm thinking of registering for the OSU Animal Nutrition course this week (as prices are increasing starting at the beginning of July). I've been reading through some threads, but did any of you guys register early and wait to start it? We have a year to complete the course, correct? My proctor for exams is away for the summer and said he can assist me again in the fall and I would rather do it then, but don't want to sign up too early.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking of registering for the OSU Animal Nutrition course this week (as prices are increasing starting at the beginning of July). I've been reading through some threads, but did any of you guys register early and wait to start it? We have a year to complete the course, correct? My proctor for exams is away for the summer and said he can assist me again in the fall and I would rather do it then, but don't want to sign up too early.
OSU allows you a year from the day you sign up to finish it. You can also have an extension for a small fee.

Does anyone know where to find the registration form for Oklahoma State? The link on the distance learning website is broken :/

Does anyone know where to find the registration form for Oklahoma State? The link on the distance learning website is broken :/

I registered over the phone with them. Here's their number: 405 744 6390

Does anyone have a study guide or some notes left over from when they took the OkState course?

Did y'all buy your book or just rent? I want to rent it ($$) but if it will be useful down the road I guess I should go ahead and buy...

For anybody that has signed up recently over the phone, what exactly is the process like (as far as signing up, them asking for financial information, etc.) Just trying to get a feel for what information I should have in front of me when I call soon! Also, for anybody who has taken OSU's version, is there a reason you guys chose OSU over other programs Animal Nutrition/Science course? :)

So I officially accepted my spot at Auburn (who requires an animal nutrition course not offered at my university) and rejected all other admission offers, but the call I made to Oklahoma State this morning to enroll in the Animal Nutrition course with their correspondence education made me a little nervous. I had to pull some strings and call the professor of the course because they thought I was cutting it extremely close with a June 15th deadline (that is when Auburn wants all final transcripts to be sent). The professor agreed to let me enroll and said he would try his very best to have me finished by June 15th. However, he said there are NO GUARANTEES (capitalized in his e-mail) because he does have 200 other students in the class and he usually gets a 10-day turn around time to get each student's assignment graded and handed back to them. I will pay extra to have each exam over-nighted to me by mail, and I will have several assignments and several exams sent to me and completed at one time. But according to the woman I talked to on the phone there will be "a lot of pressure on me."

Auburn has indicated to me that there is absolutely no extension on the June 15th deadline. I am pretty confident that I can get this course done at lightning speed, especially if the most important thing in the world to me (vet school) is on the line. However, do you happen to know of any other online or correspondence courses besides Oklahoma that are known for being easier to get done in a shorter amount of time? What is everybody else's experience with taking Oklahoma or another nutrition course in a certain time frame?
So how did that work out for you? Were you able to finish by the June 15 deadline? I'm in the same boat for June 2016.

So how did that work out for you? Were you able to finish by the June 15 deadline? I'm in the same boat for June 2016.
The Oklahoma course can be done in a few months if you are fairly motivated. It shouldn't be an issue at all! :)

The Oklahoma course can be done in a few months if you are fairly motivated. It shouldn't be an issue at all! :)
I'll be taking 18 hours in addition to the class at Oklahoma. I don't mind working hard-- just don't want to blow my GPA. So it's pretty doable?

I'll be taking 18 hours in addition to the class at Oklahoma. I don't mind working hard-- just don't want to blow my GPA. So it's pretty doable?

I spent just under 4 months on the class. On my end, the readings, homework assignments, and tests were all pretty quick. However, my professor almost always took the full 14 days to grade my assignments and my testing center was closed for a couple random weeks during the summer so I really had to plan around that too. Just some other things to keep in mind, but overall not a huge time commitment for the class itself!

I've got a question regarding the exams for the OK state course. Normally I just corner the prof ask them, but this isn't quite an option at the moment. How difficult are they to make the A (93+)? Is it know the concepts, or know the chapter detail in depth? If possible would somebody be willing to provide an example of a difficult question from the exam? *Not an actual question, but something similar so that I have an idea of what the worst I'm going to face is.

Much appreciated!

I've got a question regarding the exams for the OK state course. Normally I just corner the prof ask them, but this isn't quite an option at the moment. How difficult are they to make the A (93+)? Is it know the concepts, or know the chapter detail in depth? If possible would somebody be willing to provide an example of a difficult question from the exam? *Not an actual question, but something similar so that I have an idea of what the worst I'm going to face is.

Much appreciated!

The course is pretty straightforward. There isn't anything on the tests that wasn't in the reading or coursepack, so as long as you study those you'll be fine (but study ALL of those). I'd say at least 75% of the class was rote memorization. I got a 4.0 in the class along with a hectic schedule and pretty average effort, so it's very doable. Oh and there's example questions for the tests at the beginning of the coursepack, assuming Scott Carter is still teaching it.

I am in the same boat for June 2017! I am waitlisted but I decided to go ahead and take the class so I am in the process of getting enrolled now. I signed up for the Purdue class because it's online so less time waiting for exams and class material to be sent in the mail. How did this work out for you?

Anyone currently taking OK State's Animal Nutrition course? I just started it and everyone is saying fast turn-around on grading but its been like 4 days since I submitted my first assignment and I haven't heard back :(

I haven't submitted an assignment in awhile but for me it's usually been about a one week turnaround. I think I remember one instance where it was 2 weeks.

Bah. that's annoying >:-/ Thanks for the input!

Anyone currently taking OK State's Animal Nutrition course? I just started it and everyone is saying fast turn-around on grading but its been like 4 days since I submitted my first assignment and I haven't heard back :(
Are you able to turn in more than one assignment at a time? I took the genetics course and after the first assignment was graded and returned, I could do multiples from there.

Are you able to turn in more than one assignment at a time? I took the genetics course and after the first assignment was graded and returned, I could do multiples from there.

For OK-State afaik you have to wait for the first graded assignment to come back, before sending in more but then after that you can send in multiple at a time.

It would just be nice to get the first assignment back so I know that I'm on the right track with how I'm answering the questions. And I need to finish the course by the end of the year! I saw that you could request multiple tests at once, did anyone take 2 tests in a row?

It would just be nice to get the first assignment back so I know that I'm on the right track with how I'm answering the questions. And I need to finish the course by the end of the year! I saw that you could request multiple tests at once, did anyone take 2 tests in a row?
When I took it, if I remember correctly, you could send in three assignments at once besides the first one. So I definitely did, more than once, crank out three assignments in a day and send them all in at once. So I wouldn't worry about finishing by the end of the year, honestly, as long as you're motivated. I didn't take two tests at once, but I did take them like a week apart. The tests are super easy, so you could definitely take two at once. I don't think I spent more than a half hour on any of them, and I took the first one in like 10 minutes.

Did you guys find the grading on the assignments pretty straight forward? I'm still waiting on my grade - I called the office this morning and they said they give instructors up to 2 weeks before pestering them, but I kind of want *a* grade back before submitting more assignments to make sure I'm on the right track.

Sorry to be such a squeaky wheel about this course. Its stressing me out!

Did you guys find the grading on the assignments pretty straight forward? I'm still waiting on my grade - I called the office this morning and they said they give instructors up to 2 weeks before pestering them, but I kind of want *a* grade back before submitting more assignments to make sure I'm on the right track.

Sorry to be such a squeaky wheel about this course. Its stressing me out!
I think once it took the full two weeks, but the rest were done within a week or so. And yeah, the grading is really straightforward. I didn't get lower than a 90 on any of them (but I also wrote a looooot for each of the assignments)

I am in the same boat for June 2017! I am waitlisted but I decided to go ahead and take the class so I am in the process of getting enrolled now. I signed up for the Purdue class because it's online so less time waiting for exams and class material to be sent in the mail. How did this work out for you?
How long does the Purdue class take? My advisor said he is familiar with this course and since I am a quick learner, it should be easy to complete in 6 weeks if need be. Any advice?

I'm on the waitlist for NCSU and it appears they usually don't let people know if they are off the waitlist until after the decision deadline but then all courses need to be completed by June 1st. I really don't want to take the course if I don't need to so I am sort of unsure what I should do.

How long does the Purdue class take? My advisor said he is familiar with this course and since I am a quick learner, it should be easy to complete in 6 weeks if need be. Any advice?

I'm on the waitlist for NCSU and it appears they usually don't let people know if they are off the waitlist until after the decision deadline but then all courses need to be completed by June 1st. I really don't want to take the course if I don't need to so I am sort of unsure what I should do.
As someone who took the actual classroom course, I say it is very possible to do in 6 weeks, especially if you have time to dedicate some hours studying for it.