Animal Physiology or Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigman43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Will definitely be taking Biochem 1 + 2 next year as a junior. If i wanted to take another biology course, what would yall suggest taking? Animal/Human Phys or Genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say genetics. because physio is something you can teach to yourself whereas some genetics stuff really tests for a deeper understanding that you can only acquire in a full course.

anyway, that's what i did. i'm a biochemstry major with a really good background in genetics. it might seem strange, but my major does not require any biological sciences (no anatomy, physio, basic bio, etc). so i taught myself physio and it was more than sufficient come test time.

thats what i was thinking as well. any other opinions?

I'm a junior microbiology major and I have taken both genetics and the "animal"/human physiology (I'm in it right now) courses to help prepare for the MCAT. I would say the physiology course I'm currently in has helped me a lot more compared to the genetics course I took last semester for getting prepared for the MCAT...However, I took a molecular biology course (last year) where a lot of emphasis was put on the area of molecular genetics so the genetics course I took last semester felt like a review, somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking both genetics and physiology right now. I think genetics is a joke, though the first couple chapters helped me understand a little bit more for the MCAT than I would've without the course. Human physiology has increased my understanding of the material tremendously, and I highly recommend it (then again, this might just be from the way my professor teaches the course... he makes sure we understand the concepts rather than just memorizing all the information).

So I'd personally choose physiology over genetics. But it depends on which you feel is a weaker topic for you. I didn't take general bio (I took IB Bio in high school, and we didn't cover much of the human body).

It's really going to depend on the luck of the draw with your form. My form was heavy on genetics so I was glad I'd taken the course, but it was just as likely I would have gotten one heavy on the physio.

Neither the physio nor the genetics tested on the MCAT is very indepth so I'd take the class you are more interested in and/or are weaker in.

I Will definitely be taking Biochem 1 + 2 next year as a junior. If i wanted to take another biology course, what would yall suggest taking? Animal/Human Phys or Genetics?

cell/molecular bio > genetics, if that's an option. at least at my school, cell bio is basically intense genetics. genetics hardly showed up on my MCAT at all, and i was pissed -- was hoping those 3 years working in genetics lab would have payed off.

embryology helped me tons for the MCAT too, so i'm guessing phys would.

im still deciding i guess. i have till next week to register.

I can figure out what physiology involves but is there more to genetics than punett squares? :laugh:

i know that seems like a rather idiotic question, but in all seriousness, what else does genetics cover?

im still deciding i guess. i have till next week to register.

I can figure out what physiology involves but is there more to genetics than punett squares? :laugh:

i know that seems like a rather idiotic question, but in all seriousness, what else does genetics cover?

Populations (Hardy-Weinberg stuff), Transcription/translation, mutations, mitosis/meiosis, that sort of thing. Most of this stuff was taught in my cell bio class, plus stuff about glycolysis and all.

Physio hands down.

Physio goes over everything from basic cell bio, repiratory sys, cardiovascular sys, muscles, nervous sys, immune sys, metabolism, endocrine sys... etc.

All of those topics can be found on the MCAT bio section.

And you are also taking biochem so you will surely go over molecular genetics such as transcription, translation, dna repair, and all that other good stuff like pcr...

Then all you need to learn about genetics will be hardy weinberg and punnet squares.