Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
So I'm interested in knowing if any medical schools have animal rights groups. I am particularly interested in a group that protects sharks. Thanks.

Integra96

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
I'm just hoping for a buffet stocked with freshly grilled animals at my med school! Mmm mmm, b|tch!

:D

Actually, I don't know if there would be any such clubs at med schools. Not sure we'll have time to concern ourselves with less complex organisms.

About the Ads

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Outside your orifice
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Sharky
I'm not really a hippy. I'm just a connoisseur of sharks. I would like to continue my shark interests while in medical school.

Sharks are magnificent animals.. truly the apex predators (speaking of which, go check out the Apex Predators website, wonderful shark pictures, especially of Great Whites breaching).

In all of my years of snorkeling though, I saw a shark only twice. One was a black tip as I was approaching the reef. Another time was right next to shore actually, small baby sharks (or dwarf sharks) couldn't tell, I was desperately looking for a bag or something, they were just bloody sitting there and I wanted one.

Though I often see sharks when fishing. Kinda freaky when you see their heads spear out of the water.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by TTSD
Sharks are magnificent animals.. truly the apex predators (speaking of which, go check out the Apex Predators website, wonderful shark pictures, especially of Great Whites breaching).

In all of my years of snorkeling though, I saw a shark only twice. One was a black tip as I was approaching the reef. Another time was right next to shore actually, small baby sharks (or dwarf sharks) couldn't tell, I was desperately looking for a bag or something, they were just bloody sitting there and I wanted one.

Though I often see sharks when fishing. Kinda freaky when you see their heads spear out of the water.
Thank you for that nice insight into sharks. I too have seen sharks on several occasions while snorkeling and sailing. They truly are magnificent creatures.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Outside your orifice
Status (Visible)
Thank you for that nice insight into sharks. I too have seen sharks on several occasions while snorkeling and sailing. They truly are magnificent creatures.

Yeah, I remember a few years ago though.. they caught a 17 foot great white WITHIN the Marina. Damn, that was kind of a freaky thought.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by TTSD
Yeah, I remember a few years ago though.. they caught a 17 foot great white WITHIN the Marina. Damn, that was kind of a freaky thought.
Sharks like to travel to different places including marinas. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more around in these areas.

Integra96

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
So are you just an animal-themed troll? That's very novel. :clap:

If not, do a search for "obsessive".

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Integra96
So are you just an animal-themed troll? That's very novel. :clap:

If not, do a search for "obsessive".
No I'm not a troll. I just like sharks. What's wrong with that?

As for being obsessive, I guess everyone has their obsessions right. Mine is sharks.

Integra96

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
I'm just messing with you, I don't mind the shark stuff. I find them very interesting (and tasty!). :eek: :D ;)

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by vegangirl
Sharky. Why are you so passionate about sharks???? What started your obsession????
I used to go to the beach a lot when I was young. I went snorkeling one time and I saw a small gray reef shark that I thought was the most magnificent creature I'd ever seen. Since then I've become fascinated with sharks.

About the Ads

You have to soak shark meat in milk for about a day or it tastes bitter. Something to do with uric acid?

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Panda Bear
You have to soak shark meat in milk for about a day or it tastes bitter. Something to do with uric acid?
I just don't understand how mean people can be toward sharks. Sometimes I sit and reflect on all the injustices done to sharks and it brings tears to my eyes. :(

All I am left is to ask why. Why are people so mean? Sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night just thinking about it.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
I just don't understand how mean people can be toward sharks. Sometimes I sit and reflect on all the injustices done to sharks and it brings tears to my eyes. :(

All I am left is to ask why. Why are people so mean sometimes? Sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night thinking about it.

Hey, c'mon dude! You are making me LAUGH RIGHT OUT LOUD!! and I am in the library so SHHHHHHH... please keep it down in there!

:laugh:

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Paws
Hey, c'mon dude! You are making me LAUGH RIGHT OUT LOUD!! and I am in the library so SHHHHHHH... please keep it down in there!

:laugh:
It is ironic isn't it. On the one hand, I may have been sarcastic in the statement trying to provoke a reaction much like the one you had.

On the other hand, I may be serious about the whole thing and it really is like a stab to my heart when someone insults my fellow sharks. Still though, I may be really sad about it and merely am just exagerrating when I say I cry myself to sleep.

But what if I was to tell you that every time I read about a shark that was killed just so some tradesman can make a couple hundred bucks off his fins, it makes me want to die inside. Perhaps I'm dying inside softly already with each shark death.

Something to think about.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
No, I'm with you on the 'who has the right to kill these beautiful creatures,' thing. I get very bummed when I think about it - and I try not to even eat tuna because of it. Life is weird sometimes, maybe next time around we'll be the sharks being killed by the fishermen so we should be respectful.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Paws
No, I'm with you on the 'who has the right to kill these beautiful creatures,' thing. I get very bummed when I think about it - and I try not to even eat tuna because of it. Life is weird sometimes, maybe next time around we'll be the sharks being killed by the fishermen so we should be respectful.
It's all good.

SAVE THE SHARKS!!!:clap: :clap:

HooahDOc

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sharky, I used to be just like you about sharks. I still dig them, but I"m not as passionate as I used to be. I remember having a fishing trip ruined because some dude caught a shark and the first mate beat its head into the deck by swinging it from the tail until it was dead.

They are awesome creatures.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by JKDMed
Sharky, I used to be just like you about sharks. I still dig them, but I"m not as passionate as I used to be. I remember having a fishing trip ruined because some dude caught a shark and the first mate beat its head into the deck by swinging it from the tail until it was dead.

They are awesome creatures.
Yes they are awesome creatures. I can't believe the first mate could be so vicious. You would figure that since he is a man of the sea he would appreciate sharks. Oh well. Glad to see another shark enthusiast. :D

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Boston
Status (Visible)
At least shark killings are only in the high tens or low hundreds. Think of the millions of animals(cows, chickens, pigs) that are FARMED and slaughtered year after year. The space and water and stuff that these industrial farms take up could produce 90% more protein if we farmed soy there instead.

Sharks have the chance to roam free and live a shark's life, as it were. These animals have NO sense of freedom at all. I'll have to look up the details, but there was a law in florida(?) a few months back that mandated that pigs be granted enough room to TURN around in their stall. WTF!

People are cruel to sharks. But the insult to other animals dwarfs the shark situation.

Alright, cool, proceed with the flaming and the name calling and whatnot.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
just wondering, why do med schools use sharks?

for pulmonary physiology? (j/k ;) i know they have gills). You know, med schools routinely used to use anesitized dogs for physiology lab. Supposedly they would last a couple days if you kept them hydrated. :scared:

In undergrad we used turtles and frogs a lot. There was one phys lab where you tested rabbit muscle contractions ("bunny on a stick") but i didn't know sharks were used for physio much.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by carrigallen
just wondering, why do med schools use sharks?

for pulmonary physiology? (j/k ;) i know they have gills). You know, med schools routinely used to use anesitized dogs for physiology lab. Supposedly they would last a couple days if you kept them hydrated. :scared:

In undergrad we used turtles and frogs a lot. There was one phys lab where you tested rabbit muscle contractions ("bunny on a stick") but i didn't know sharks were used for physio much.
:eek: Sharks are used in dissections!!!!!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. I will have to start writing letters to Congress about this.

CaptainJack,
I agree. Humans are harmful to all forms of animals. Sharks, pigs, horses, and all the rest should be protected also. After all, they were here before us so we have no right to destroy their habitat and their lives. I just prefer talking about sharks because I identify with them more.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by JKDMed
Sharky, you should be considering a career in marine biology.
I don't know. Maybe your right. I do love marine life at times much more than humans.

rogersce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CaptainJack02
At least shark killings are only in the high tens or low hundreds. Think of the millions of animals(cows, chickens, pigs) that are FARMED and slaughtered year after year. The space and water and stuff that these industrial farms take up could produce 90% more protein if we farmed soy there instead.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=498693

The sad thing is, industrial farming is silently destroying our ecosystem.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.