Animal Science Major Needs Help...wants to apply to Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxijenchan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help, please? *Sigh* I am animal science major that needs to know all of your people's opinion. I want to apply to Ross and plan on taking the GRE's at the end of this month. The major problem is that I did not take any Biology courses and physics. I will be taking statistics in the Spring. But what do you guys think, who is attending or will attend Ross. Do you think that I should go and take Biology courses and physics. But I figure that my animal science courses would have a heavier standing since these courses consists of endocrinology, animal physiology and anatomy, animal nutrition, etc. Please help! I am stuck in a hard place. It would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there oxijnechan -

Make sure you go to the Ross website and look at the classes they require. You must meet these requirements. I just got in and I don't have a 2nd semester Intro Bio course, so even though I have Micro, Cell, and Genetics, I have to take a 2nd semester Bio course next semester or I can't go. Most schools are pretty strict about their prereqs. Some are less so in that you can sub courses required for courses taken a little easier, but definitely try to take what they require.

suggestion: postpone the test and take basic science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the time that both of you have given to me for your advice. These tips are very helpful to me. :) And congrats Veganchick for getting in. :)

As Vegan said you may as well just take the physics and what not before the GRE since they're required anyways by the vet school for admission. Even if you have an A in Physiology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Genetics but you've not yet taken the basic Biology/Chemistry courses, they probably will reject you unless you can work something out.

Isn't Bio 1 and 2, and Chem 1 and 2 required to take Org and Biochem? I would have thought Bio would also be a req. course for physiology, genetics, and micro.

While the later are not usually set in stone req. courses for vet school admission, most schools that i've looked at do require a set amount of 'life' science classes beyond the pre-reqs.

Just a heads up, I don't know about Ross specifically however.

You would think so, but it sounds like he's found a way around the pre-requisites, which is entirely possible. Physiology was required to take Pharmacology and I got around that. Granted I didn't do so hot but that's not the issue.