Anki Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usctrojans24

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanna start out saying I'm pretty new to learning anki and all its tricks but this has been driving me crazy. For Anatomy I've been using image occlusion to blank out multiple things. When I review these cards they are in order/sequential so I am able to go through the picture before flipping to another card. My issue has been with Lists/Fill in the blank. So basically once I answer the question for the Endocrine it doesn't go to Nervous it flips to a completely different card and later in the deck review I am able to answer the 2nd part of the question. Is this just the way it Anki works? Should I get an add-on so that it is more sequential or just use the current method to learn and retain information. I would really appreciate some advice on the use of Anki

Ex:

(This is all on one card) If it isn't apparent they are two blanks each with 4 bullet points
Endocrine vs Nervous

Endocrine
{{c1::
Slower response time
Longer duration
Signal intensity varies with concentration of hormone
Amplitude-modulated system
}}

Nervous

{{c2::
Faster response time
Shorter duration
Signal intensity varies with frequency of AP’s
Frequency-modulated system
}}

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is the way anki works. You randomly see new/review cards so you aren't primed by the answer. In general, you would have separate cards for these two things, so you wouldn't be able to infer that "Endocrine" is the opposite of nervous. The goal is to force yourself to remember organically, as that is what imprints the info long-term. Also, a question stem would be helpful as well (What is the method/speed of an endocrine response?)
If you haven't already, look into the pre-made decks (Zanki, Salt-pepper, etc.), as they are high quality cards from UFAP/etc. and they would be new to you and save you a lot of time in your busy schedule

Reactions: 1 users
This is the way anki works. You randomly see new/review cards so you aren't primed by the answer. In general, you would have separate cards for these two things, so you wouldn't be able to infer that "Endocrine" is the opposite of nervous. The goal is to force yourself to remember organically, as that is what imprints the info long-term. Also, a question stem would be helpful as well (What is the method/speed of an endocrine response?)
If you haven't already, look into the pre-made decks (Zanki, Salt-pepper, etc.), as they are high quality cards from UFAP/etc. and they would be new to you and save you a lot of time in your busy schedule

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're having issues remembering everything that's on the card you'll want to give yourself some sort of prompt to know what you're asking yourself. Something like

Endocrine

{{c1::Slower::faster/slower}} response time
{{c2::Longer::Longer/Shorter}} duration
Signal intensity varies with {{c3::concentration of hormone}}.
{{c4::Amplitude}}-modulated system

I changed it from all being c1 to c1-c4 because I ended up changing my settings to bury the related cards until the next day. That way I'm testing myself on response time on 1 day, and another aspect of the card the next day. It helps me to see the information more often but the great thing is you can adjust your own to whatever combination you'd like. You can test yourself on duration and response time one day, then signal intensity and modulation the next.

The next-level method of testing yourself on the info would be to do something like:

{{c2::Endocrine}}-Mediated autonomic activity is {{c1::longer::longer/shorter in duration with a {{c1::slower::slower/faster}} response time than {{c2::Neuronally}}-Mediated autonomic activity.

With another card to test the other information. That way you're forcing yourself to recall different facts independent of what else is on the card/ question.

If you're having issues remembering everything that's on the card you'll want to give yourself some sort of prompt to know what you're asking yourself. Something like

Endocrine

I changed it from all being c1 to c1-c4 because I ended up changing my settings to bury the related cards until the next day. That way I'm testing myself on response time on 1 day, and another aspect of the card the next day. It helps me to see the information more often but the great thing is you can adjust your own to whatever combination you'd like. You can test yourself on duration and response time one day, then signal intensity and modulation the next.

The next-level method of testing yourself on the info would be to do something like:

{{c2::Endocrine}}-Mediated autonomic activity is {{c1::longer::longer/shorter in duration with a {{c1::slower::slower/faster}} response time than {{c2::Neuronally}}-Mediated autonomic activity.

With another card to test the other information. That way you're forcing yourself to recall different facts independent of what else is on the card/ question.
this is an interesting strategy for the buried cards. Usually those cards annoy me to no extent because i saw the stupid thing 10 minutes ago and my mind has been primed to answer it. Or multiple clauses in one sentence. I usually end up selecting super easy on it to space out the duration i will see related cards again.

Do you use zanki? If so how much does burying related cards decrease your daily review count? And has it been working well?

OP, answering cards in order is dumb because you already know you are answering cards related to x diagnosis or x bug or x process. You have contextual information from the previous card that tells you where what the answer is, the point of anki is to retrieve that information based on the card itself not the previous cards, in a test you are not going to be given 5 questions related to the same drug in a row.

this is an interesting strategy for the buried cards. Usually those cards annoy me to no extent because i saw the stupid thing 10 minutes ago and my mind has been primed to answer it. Or multiple clauses in one sentence. I usually end up selecting super easy on it to space out the duration i will see related cards again.

Do you use zanki? If so how much does burying related cards decrease your daily review count? And has it been working well?

I started making my own cards 1st year, and I tried to use Zanki during 2nd year but it felt like there were too many contextual clues to give me the answer, so I just kept making my own. I used to make them so that I got the related cards in the same day but an above poster was correct in saying that you might not get the card right just because of seeing it exposed while you were answering something else 20 minutes ago. Plus it gets frustrating to keep getting the same card over and over just because you can't remember the one obscure option. Once I discovered the bury related cards function I found myself getting through the decks much quicker, since you have less cards per day. However I can't exactly quantify it, but probably 10-25% or so on average, depending on how many lists you have in there. Plus you see that information more frequently so it's even more likely to stick.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, answering cards in order is dumb because you already know you are answering cards related to x diagnosis or x bug or x process. You have contextual information from the previous card that tells you where what the answer is, the point of anki is to retrieve that information based on the card itself not the previous cards, in a test you are not going to be given 5 questions related to the same drug in a row.

That makes a lot of sense thanks

Endocrine

With the first way c1-c4 I won't hypothetically see all 4 items in one day is that correct? because I'll see response time then it will shift to another card. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding how that is useful?

Last edited:
With the first way c1-c4 I won't hypothetically see all 4 items in one day is that correct? because I'll see response time then it will shift to another card. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding how that is useful?

If you make them c1-c4 and then go to settings and hit the button that says "bury related new/review cards until the next day" youll never see them on the same day.

The point of separating them put into 4 cards is so that you don't constantly repeat the same card because you have 4 separate facts to recall but always forget only 1.

Hey everyone,

I wanna start out saying I'm pretty new to learning anki and all its tricks but this has been driving me crazy. For Anatomy I've been using image occlusion to blank out multiple things. When I review these cards they are in order/sequential so I am able to go through the picture before flipping to another card. My issue has been with Lists/Fill in the blank. So basically once I answer the question for the Endocrine it doesn't go to Nervous it flips to a completely different card and later in the deck review I am able to answer the 2nd part of the question. Is this just the way it Anki works? Should I get an add-on so that it is more sequential or just use the current method to learn and retain information. I would really appreciate some advice on the use of Anki

Ex:

(This is all on one card) If it isn't apparent they are two blanks each with 4 bullet points
Endocrine vs Nervous

Endocrine
{{c1::
Slower response time
Longer duration
Signal intensity varies with concentration of hormone
Amplitude-modulated system
}}

Nervous

{{c2::
Faster response time
Shorter duration
Signal intensity varies with frequency of AP’s
Frequency-modulated system
}}
please i need help the cards in zanki just 4 days ago started to appear randomly

i did rescheduliing and i did sort by date created but this did not work
pleeeeeease pleaaaase any one helps me
!!