Anki Organization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayayteeyeee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming M1 and have a quick question for current medical students who use Anki. I am getting familiar with using the program and making cards and was wondering how you organize your cards. Is is more useful to have separate decks for each class (Biochem, Anatomy, etc.) or 1 big deck and just tag each card per class? Also, I can't seem to figure out how to utilize the tags. I know how to tag a card with a specific topic but then is there a way to search all cards for a specific tag and just go through those cards?

I know that there are a lot of posts about Anki but I haven't seen anything related to my question. Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. One big deck is best if you're actually using anki for long term retention as the algorithm only really works without sub-decks. Multiple decks is best if you're studying class material and are planning to suspend the cards after the class.

To search by tag type in "tag:xxx" in the search box.

Reactions: 1 users
I used anki to cram for useless classes that tested on low-yield minutia, so i had a deck for each LECTURE, lol, and deleted the decks after the block was over. I never used anki for Step 1 preparation, just med school classes. Once i crammed a deck for a lecture i would click "custom study" and review ahead 10 days and cram again!

That being said, i have been using anki during 3rd year, and having it organized per clerkship (IMED, surgery, etc) has proven not to be overwhelming.

Reactions: 1 user