Anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GangaMaster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys tackle a new lecture with Anki? What's your method of madness on say starting micro and the first lecture is bacterial cell structure?

Members don't see this ad.

Class of bacteria that has an outer membrane
Space between the peptidoglycan layer and the inner membrane in Gram-negative bacteria
Endotoxin of Gram-negative bacteria
Part of Gram-negative bacteria that contains LPS (lipopolysaccharide)
Major component of the bacterial cell wall (gives rigid support, protects against osmotic pressure)
Class of bacteria that has a thicker peptidoglycan layer
Typical composition of bacterial capsule
Function of bacterial capsule in pathogenesis/virulence
Two functions of pili/fimbria
Chemical composition of bacterial flagella
Portion of LPS (lipopolysaccharide) that causes immune activation (TNF and IL-1 induction)
Endotoxin-like cell wall component of Gram-positive bacteria
Function of transpeptidases in bacterial cell wall
Bacterium with poly-D-glutamate capsule
Chemical composition of bacterial spore (3: coat, cortex, core specific chemical)
etc.

Anki is soo boring it takes forever

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't take forever if you are smart about what you put as cards. It works best when you only put things like pharm or "what chemical activates macrophages" or other discrete pieces of knowledge. More complex knowledge is probably better learned by reading a book or doing practice questions.

It doesn't take forever if you are smart about what you put as cards. It works best when you only put things like pharm or "what chemical activates macrophages" or other discrete pieces of knowledge. More complex knowledge is probably better learned by reading a book or doing practice questions.

This here. My cards are all discrete knowledge and are basically things that I've missed in practice questions (QBanks, etc.). No point in making cards for things you already know.

Only an MS1, haven't taken micro, but I usually just make cards for any question I can think of with a one- or two-word answer, and then put extra info or a picture of the ppt slide in the answer field so I can read up if I got it wrong.

Only an MS1, haven't taken micro, but I usually just make cards for any question I can think of with a one- or two-word answer, and then put extra info or a picture of the ppt slide in the answer field so I can read up if I got it wrong.

Ya I do that already, It just takes forever to do it for each and every slide except for a few slides per lecture that are just illustrations I get or information thats not really tested. I never get time to do practice questions with this method plus I lose a lot of time unlike just re-watching lectures because I get bored quickly making Anki cards.