Annotating First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at the "similar threads we found" and didn't find any useful answers, so here goes... My school's curriculum was organ-system based (besides a couple general principles classes in the beginning) and I plan on studying everything again in the same order so that I start out with the oldest (my weakest) subjects first. How do you all go about annotating your first aid? Ideally I'd like to get to the point where the last couple weeks of my cram-session I'm just looking at FA [with my notes already all in it]. So does "annotating" involve using FA as an outline and looking up anything that I don't fully understand in review books and writing it into my copy of FA? I guess the reason why I ask was because as I study organ systems, for instance, I thought I'd read the corresponding section in BRS phys and then RR path for that system, but then when I go look at FA for the high-yield facts later I'm not going to remember what was in those review books but is misssing in FA... I'm not sure if what I said make sense or not, but basically I'm just trying to figure out how you decide what needs to be annotated into FA if you're using other review books...

Members don't see this ad.

seriously? someone has to have a way of going about it that worked [is working] for them... lets hear it

Subscribing so I can keep an eye on this thread also.

I'm sure if you ask 5 different people you'll find 5 different methods and 5 different schedules they've come up with. Our semester ends mid-April so for this last semester I've just been keeping 1st Aid handy while I do my normal studying in our normal textbooks and say, for example, that I'm reading GI path I'll open 1st aid to GI section and sort of follow along in it and add a few notes here or there to clarify something.

Seems to be working for now. Not as overwhelming as I'll just add stuff here or there as I follow along in first aid.

Well I haven't taken the beast yet, but from reading this boards it seems like there are a couple of main pieces of advice:

- Don't annotate information into FA from your school lecture notes, because it is too time consuming and chances are the stuff you are anotating is low yield for the actual test

-DO annotate information from tried and true qbanks like UWorld. Personally I do every single question in UWorld on tutor mode and I read the explainations for questions I got right and wrong because the concepts in there are golden. Usually FA already has the concept in their book, but if they don't then I put it in.

-DON'T annotate every single tidbit of information from RR Path into FA because its just too much. You are better off knowing RR Path like the back of your hand and FA like the back of your hand. Personally I don't use RR Path; I use BRS Path, but I still don't plan to annotate any path into FA. You need a seperate book for Path.

-If you are the kind of studier that reads review books for all the subjects (micro, biochem, histo, etc.) then whether you annotate or not is up in the air. Personally I feel that it is too much, and you will probably annotate more low yield stuff into FA then you believe you are.

hope some of this helped

Members don't see this ad :)
you won't really know what to annotate until you start studying for the test, or doing problems and seeing whats important. no one can explain it to you really, there is just information they like more and information they like less

This is the mode that gives you the full explanation of each question that you take, as well as telling you whether you got it wrong or not. Its the best way to learn the material that UWorld is testing. See the option below:

uworld.png

HP,
just as another tidbit of info: you can still see your results as well as review your answers in timed and untimed. tutor just gives you the explanation right after you click your answer

This is the mode that gives you the full explanation of each question that you take, as well as telling you whether you got it wrong or not. Its the best way to learn the material that UWorld is testing. See the option below:

uworld.png

thanks for the information! will timed tutor mode cover every question for each subject?

let's say i want to do all of the anatomy questions and there are 101 questions total!

first set antomy via tutor = 50q

then can i select another unused 50q for the 2nd?

and finally for the 3rd tutor mode anatomy set - will that single unused remaining question appear?

i wanted to do each subject one by one and make sure i was able to use every question at least once without repeats. btw how many questions are there for the entire thing? 2025?