Annoyed with JHU

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by buggiboo, Nov 16, 2002.

1. buggiboo

buggiboo Junior Member

Im just kinda ticked about us interviewees who are in limbo.. I interviewed after 10/15, but Dean White said we would hear something in the middle of November. I heard that some people got notifications, but I've heard that no one has been accepted who interviewed after 10/3!!

What gives?! Were there too many applicants beforehand, and we were moved to the December round, or have we been waitlisted. Some e-mail or other correspondence would have been appropiate by now.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sick of limbo,

Boo

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed on Oct. 11th and got a phone call of acceptance on 11/6. Hope this helps.

4. Premed2003

Premed2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No one was accepted until the 2nd week of November. You weren't accepted on 11/6.

5. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

bioguy is full of crap.

a 3.14 gpa and interviews at all the top schools? i don't think so.

if you have good clinical experience and have a 3.3gpa/27 mcat you're GUARANTEED admission to finch? i don't think so.

6. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Premed 2003- if you read my previous post, I said I was CALLED on Nov. 6th by my interviewer, who told me that I had been accepted to next year's class. I received an actual letter this past Thursday, which was dated Nov. 15th.

Lola- I don't appreciate the "full of crap" comment, especially since I am trying to help fellow applicants. Believe it or not, schools look at MORE than just your GPA- they want high MCATs, good EC's, and life experience.

7. Premed2003

Premed2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bio Guy, guess what?

Interviewers from JHU don't call. You've got the story all wrong. Do you know who really does call?

8. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Premed2003- you are extremely rude. If you PM me, I will give you my phone number and I will tell you the NAME of the person who called me, exactly what they said, and I will even fax you my acceptance letter. The bottom line is that I have never seen such unnecessary hostility- and for what? I will not contribute to SDN if everyone is full of bitterness and envy.

9. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

But why would you get a letter of Nov. 14th that was dated Nov. 15th?

10. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know- maybe they date the letters so that you'll RECEIVE them on the date of the letter.

This will be my last contribution to this forum. I think you all have to analyze the way you treat other people.

11. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

Some people are obviously just jealous.

12. Premed2003

Premed2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bioguy, sorry about that. I didn't think you were being sincere about getting in because you didn't respond to another thread that asked if anyone heard from hopkins. I thought you were trying to make the original poster upset, and it's strange that you were called by your interviewer.

13. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i apologize if i was wrong about you, bioguy. it just seems as though some of your posts don't make a lot of sense -- particularly the finch one as no one is ever guaranteed admission anywhere. i realize schools look at much more than numbers... it is just difficult to believe that at this stage of the game so many top schools would have granted you interviews with your gpa. i'm sorry if you really are sincere, and congratulations on your acceptance. by saying "hope this helps" i thought you were being a jackass.

14. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

Honestly, you guys need to realize that this is real life. Yeah, there are these rules floating around, by behind them are real people, so everything is not always by the book. If a school really wants you, they're going to let you know.

I was told at the end of an interview that I had acceptance at a medical school. And when I applied for residency, two programs called and told me I was their top ranked applicant. Neither of those are 'allowed', but they sure as heck happened.

I don't know this bioguy, but I've seen other threads where people got pushed around for telling their admissions stories, when I'd seen those things happen myself, first hand.

15. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A guy in my med school (class of 2003) got accepted to JHU also and they called him to let him know he got in. So, they do call at least some.

mike

16. marakah2

marakah2 Member
    7+ Year Member

"Rules are made to be broken"

i got an acceptance letter oct. 10, which according to the head people is completely illegal

17. buggiboo

buggiboo Junior Member

digging up for some info, here's what i heard:

1. waitlist letters were either mailed wednesday or thursday: one of my good friends showed me hers today.

2. i'm betting not all of them have gotten letters.

3. Dean White usually makes the calls right after the meeting, and that was the first one. I've heard of no one who gets an acceptance w/o Dean White making an attempt to call you.

4. i still dont know what the hell it means that i havent got a waitlist letter or any other notice.

hope this helps some,

buggy

18. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

19. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I had more respect for him before I found out he was an AmStud major at Yale...

20. buggiboo

buggiboo Junior Member

i wouldnt hold anything against Dean White, he's actually an incredible person with a fantastic meemory. If you see him like 3 years later, he'll remember some portion of your life.

nothing in the sat. mail. i'll just give em a call on monday. itmay piss them off, but oh well.

-boo

21. good luck boo!

22. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dean White is a fantastic person and he does have an excellent memory. I'm not quite sure how he does it, but I'm pretty sure he know every student in all four classes by name...or pretty darn close. Interviewers do sometimes call accepted students, but I'm pretty sure Dean White likes to try to call everyone, also. If you end up on the waitlist, no worries at all. Probably half of the first year class is from the waitlist. I know it's a pain in the butt, but it's definately not even close to being a rejection - it's a dynamic and fast moving list, come summertime :)

Good luck!

23. Premed2003

Premed2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do people get accepted in the next committee meeting who interviewed in Sept/Oct?

Does anyone who got an interview get rejected?

why do they accept so many off the waitlist

:love:

24. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know much about when the committee meets, etc. Usually if you're accepted straght away it takes about a month for them to call you with the news.

People who interview do get rejected.

My theory about the waitlist thing. Most people who get into a top ten school get into more than one top ten school. They're all pretty different in terms of curriculum, location, etc. People wait until the last possible minute to decide, and lots of waitlist movement happens in the summertime at all of those schools. It's the same 1,000 students holding acceptances and waitlist spots at those schools, thus lots of shifting around. That's just my thoughts, don't know if its true or not.

25. buggiboo

buggiboo Junior Member

first, i just would like to thank you guys for all the well wishes..

has anyone besides me and '2003 not heard anything yet as well, im curious how unique my position is.. has anyone else gotten the waitlist letter from them as of yet?

also, do you guys think it's a good idea if i e-mail my interviewer to see what's up instead of calling the adcom?

last post on this i promise,

boo

26. well i dont think ur interviewer has anything to do with ur acceptance decision, correct me if i am wrong, ur best bet would be to call the admissions office /adcoms.

27. karnos

karnos Junior Member

Buggiboo, I interview Oct. 4th and haven't heard anything either. No letter and no phone call. Maybe they deferred me and others that interviewed around the same time until next week's meeting?

28. imperator

imperator Member
    7+ Year Member

You guys have intra-Yale elitisms, too? :rolleyes:

29. buggiboo

buggiboo Junior Member

december batch.