annoying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYsac9

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.56 7V 7P 9B O extras include shadowing md and other volunteer exp.

I know its been done before but what are my chances, also, anybody heard of any DO's doing ortho surgery, any do's in any surgery specialities?
thanks for the awnsers
yanks in 6

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow New Yorker,

If you're interested in osteopathic medical school, you should probably shadow a DO and get his recommendation for your applications. Your GPA is competitive for both MD and DO school, but your MCATs are on the low side for MD school and probably on the lower end of the averages for some DO schools (NYCOM, for one, I believe).

Where do you go to college?

DOs in Ortho or surgical subspecialties (optho, uro, CT, neuro, etc.) are USUALLY trained through osteopathic programs, of which there are really only a handful in the US. NYCOM has one of the most extensive osteopathic residencies in the country, so being there would probably give you something of an advantage in getting the surgical career you want. But you should keep in mind that DOs in surgery are few in number and it's a really TOUGH uphill climb, even for something as common as general surgery.

Tim of New York City.
Yanks in 5 (hopefully)