Feb 17, 2010
Status
Hi Guys:
I am starting my internship in internal medicine at a major university hospital in NYC, and I am currently in the process of creating my first-year schedule. I plan on pursuing a fellowship in medical oncology (>heme-onc) and would like to get advice on when to schedule electives so as to be able to attend national/regional conferences.
(1) I know of the ASCO conference and the James Watson Symposium on Cancer, but are there any other events that are beneficial to try and attend?

Thanks in advance!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Guys:
I am starting my internship in internal medicine at a major university hospital in NYC, and I am currently in the process of creating my first-year schedule. I plan on pursuing a fellowship in medical oncology (>heme-onc) and would like to get advice on when to schedule electives so as to be able to attend national/regional conferences.
(1) I know of the ASCO conference and the James Watson Symposium on Cancer, but are there any other events that are beneficial to try and attend?

Thanks in advance!
ASCO in late May/early June
AACR in April
ASH in December
SABCS in (I think) October

Those are the big ones. There are also a bunch of disease specific ASCO sub-forum meetings (GI, GU, etc).

Also, if you're interested in GI malignancies, DDW (the national GI meeting) is a good one in late April/Early May. There are also ASBMT/CIBMTR meetings if you're interested in transplant.

threecoins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
How important are these conferences ? I know you learn a tremendous amount but in terms of helping your application does it matter to attend if you are not presneting an abstract ?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
How important are these conferences ? I know you learn a tremendous amount but in terms of helping your application does it matter to attend if you are not presneting an abstract ?
For your education, they can be very good. They can also be helpful in meeting people in the field, but only if you're proactive in introducing yourself at "Meet the Professors" type of gatherings.

Nobody will ever care whether you went or not with regards to your application. But I don't think that's the question the OP was asking.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Also your residency should be able to provide some assistance with travel money; especially if you are presenting a poster or abstract.