Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
No

He's applying to Caribbean schools with a 45 and not top10 schools?

He is also applying to random Canadian schools, so obviously he doesn't want to stay in a particular geographic area (which would justify not applying to top tier).

Very fake

moe_4eva

doprepd on my haed
10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
foco
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Look, if I can get a 45, I think anyone else can too if they put in a little effort or had better genes. Clearly this is real
I was going to say, I just honestly don't see why this is such a big deal. I mean, if you study enough, it really shouldn't be an issue.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
No

He is also applying to random Canadian schools, so obviously he doesn't want to stay in a particular geographic area (which would justify not applying to top tier).

Very fake
She has a low GPA. Her GPA (esp. the science GPA) would put her nearly 1 std. dev below the avg. GPA of matriculants. A 45 is nice as a novelty but it's not really going to be treated much better than a 38 in the admissions process. If someone comes along with a 3.2 science GPA and a 38 MCAT, would you advise them to apply to top 10 schools? I think her list is very realistic.

Begaster

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
The highest marks in the last few years, as far as I know, have been 43s. I call shenanigans.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I know a guy who got a 44. He was contacted by the company that makes the tests (Princeton Review I think) and basically worked as a tester for them, taking all their standardized tests (received perfect scores on various GRE subjects, DAT, OAT, LSAT. He now runs his own test prep company.

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status
The highest marks in the last few years, as far as I know, have been 43s. I call shenanigans.
We don't know that. The AAMC data is all rounded... it's possible that people have gotten 44s and 45s... it's just not seen in the data.

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
No

Very fake

I think those schools are Puerto Rican, not Caribbean. She/he probably just knew they had to compensate for that GPA.

seansss

ATX
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Austin TX
Status
Pre-Medical
Then by your definition, I don't exist.

Oh no.... I'm MELTING!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

I stand corrected.....Well done sir! :thumbup:.....We are the same age but I'm going into my undergrad next year, and your are going to med school.....touche

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I know a guy who got a 44. He was contacted by the company that makes the tests (Princeton Review I think) and basically worked as a tester for them, taking all their standardized tests (received perfect scores on various GRE subjects, DAT, OAT, LSAT. He now runs his own test prep company.
I believe you misspoke here. Princeton Review is a test prep company, NOT a test developer. The test is overseen by AAMC, through which the test is developed and administered by Thomson Prometric, which is now a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of ETS. I think you are saying he worked for a test prep company, eh?

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
She has a low GPA. Her GPA (esp. the science GPA) would put her nearly 1 std. dev below the avg. GPA of matriculants. A 45 is nice as a novelty but it's not really going to be treated much better than a 38 in the admissions process. If someone comes along with a 3.2 science GPA and a 38 MCAT, would you advise them to apply to top 10 schools? I think her list is very realistic.
I realize the rest of the application is not top10 material. If I scored a 45 and had a crappy GPA, I would definitely try my luck at a few top institutions; you never know how an adcom will receive a 45. It's definitely a shot at applying, tons of people send in their money with only 3.7/33 etc.

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
the person is chinese, I wouldn't doubt it. Chinese and Koreans usually tend to do better, there was a New York Times article on a korean prep high school last week, crazy crazy stuff.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
I stand corrected.....Well done sir! :thumbup:.....We are the same age but I'm going into my undergrad next year, and your are going to med school.....touche
It's cool. my age iss.... a number and not much more. :)

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I believe you misspoke here. Princeton Review is a test prep company, NOT a test developer. The test is overseen by AAMC, through which the test is developed and administered by Thomson Prometric, which is now a wholly owned, independently operated subsidiary of ETS. I think you are saying he worked for a test prep company, eh?
Yeah probably. It was a few years ago when I met him so I'm a bit hazy on the details/didn't understand much then. I just know he got to the point where he was helping to design questions and such.

anumama

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
DUDE are you (bleep)-ing kidding me? Obviously this is a fake. I dont care what your GPA is, but scoring a 45 is mind-blowing. Yes, 38 and 45 are in the same percentile, but a 45 is a perfect score. It doesnt matter--nobody can talk whack about your intelligence.

I would apply to all the top schools (Top 1-40)