another Absite down...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

womansurg

it's a hard life...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought the test was more straight foward than last years. Still some basic science minutia, but overall not bad. The clinical stuff was pretty reasonable.

Off to the post-test party to drink voraciously and rehash questions all night. Maybe this year we won't get tossed out of the bar... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by womansurg
I thought the test was more straight foward than last years. Still some basic science minutia, but overall not bad. The clinical stuff was pretty reasonable.

Off to the post-test party to drink voraciously and rehash questions all night. Maybe this year we won't get tossed out of the bar... :)

Well... Emptied my brain right out onto that paper. There wasn't anything that I didn't recognize but that coin that I flip for the answer was working. Glad it's down and bring on the stout!!!

njbmd:clap:

one down. 6 to go.

bring on the booze...

Members don't see this ad :)
Womansurg, njbmd, and any other general surgery residents....

Can you guys and gals let me know a little bit more about the ABSITE?

Specifically, how hard is this exam? (e.g. do you have to put in a lot of hours of studying on you own in order to achieve 50th-percentile or can you at least score at or above the 50th-percentile with the info you learn during residency itself?)

I've heard some programs do not renew a resident's contract for the upcoming year if he/she does not achieve at least 50th-percentile every year on the ABSITE. In other words, is it possible to match into a categorical spot and then be kicked out after intern year for not getting at least 50th-percentile, or worst getting through four years and then not having your contract renewed for the final year for falling short of 50%?!

Also, are there any programs out there that actually require residents to score well ABOVE the 50th-percentile in order to advance each year?

Hi there,
ABSITE was difficult. It is not like USMLE where you go sit and practice questions for hours on end. In surgery, you don't have that kind of time even with the 80-hour work week. For me, I relied on the experience of the residents ahead of me. Since I am about six months out of medical school, I would not be expected to know the same amount of material on this exam as one of my chief residents who is seven years out.

Here at UVA, our chiefs did prep sessions and quizzed us on a regular basis. Good programs and good mentors force you to adjust your thinking in a critical manner as opposed to forcing you to memorize factoids. Still, there is a certain amount of reading and experience that you have to do for yourself. You can't sit and memorize Sabiston's or Schwartz and think that you are going to ace ABSITE. Some of the questions were judgement questions that needed a level of experience. You will get that experience as you progress along your residency unless you are brain-dead.

Taking the test let me know that my reading was on the right track. This exam pointed my study in a direction that will be most useful as I continue to learn the skills that will make me a good and safe surgeon. Surgery residency is a wonderful mixture of mentorship and self-study. I have been fortunate to find great mentors in my program and I have always had the discipline to study. One is not a subsititute for the other.

The programs who hold ABSITE over your head as a means to measure if you can continue in residency, have the wrong idea. Your performance on a standardized exam on any given day is going to be related to many factors in addition to your knowledge base. Some of us took this exam post-call and sick. The ABSITE is an in-training exam and should let you know, at best, where you can improve your training and study methods. If your program demands a certain score on one exam as opposed to solid growth and day-to-day development, then you have made a critical error in residency selection.

On this year's exam, there were questions that I could answer without hesitation and questions that I had to flip my quarter to pick a letter. I am sure that my chief residents and more senior residents who were sitting in the same room and taking the same test, did not have to rely on that quarter as much as I did.

I would hope that I did well but even if I broke through some magical percentile, my score had less to do with having a knowledge base that enabled me to answer every question with assurance and more to do with the karma on my quarter that I was flipping. :D

njbmd

SFN,

It's a good idea to ask programs that you are applying to to present their ABSITE data for you to review. High averages suggest a couple of things: that the didactic teaching is good, and that the residents are allowed sufficient time to conduct reading and self study. Very high averages were something which attracted me to my current program.

As to the difficulty, my scores have ranged from 50th to 90th percentiles based on how much studying I put in, which in general has not been a tremendous amount. Typically, you are being graded against residents in programs where they are horrendously overworked or where there is not much emphasis on studying, so those types of folks end up filling the lower half of the curve. Generally, if you study even modestly it's not too difficult to score decently (the year I scored 50th percentile, I had really not studied at all...)

I have heard of programs which threaten to not renew your contract if you score poorly, usually in the bottom third nationally. That has not been the case in our program: we have a dyslexic resident who is an excellent clinician and surgeon, but who has scored in the bottom 10% in the country a couple of years. Our PD has been supportive and interested in finding ways to help improve his test taking skills. These are attitudes which you should be able to ferret out in the interview process. You want to find a program that is interested in your success and well being - attitudes toward achievement on standardized testing is one indicator of a PD's overall approach. I'd be very cautious about joining a program with such attitudes, but that's for each individual to decide.

njbmd,

the consensus here was that this year's version was waaaaaay more straight forward then usual. I expect the raw scores will be a lot higher then the last few years, really tightening up the curve for the percentile ranks you get. When I get asked for advice on taking it (I've done well on it every year), I tell people to skip RUSH review & some of the other reviews (written for the surgery written boards) as they tend to be too hard & not representative of the ABSITE. There are a # of reviews just for the ABSITE out now (I think the Michigan State one is a good one for getting a feel for the repetative topics they hit). One of the most valuable things to do is get out that Advanced Surgical Recall book you had as a student & read thru the chapters on GI physiology, Endocrine, Immunology, and Nutrition the week before the exam for all that non-clinical stuff they ask a disproportionate amount of questions about. I also feel like that if you read those "throw away" journals you get for free (Surgical Rounds, General Surgery News, Contemporary Surgery,etc..) during the year, there are a number of excellent broad based reviews of topics that are useful.