Another administrative question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they provide scratch paper on the DAT? If so, are they provided for all sections, e.g. PAT, QR, etc?

Thanks for answering all my lousy administrative questions. Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, prior to the start of your DAT, the invigilator will provide you with a pencil and several sheets of blink/white paper (I think around 4) for you to use for all DAT sections. I am not sure if you are allow to get more paper if you've used them up but I think he/she will give you enough to last for the entire examination.

Good luck with your DAT preparation!

You can always go back and ask for more, but you have to turn in your other scratch paper. It's best to do it during your break, that way you don't lose valuable time. The first amount they gave me was plenty though, so I didn't need any more.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last 2 post were correct.

You only get 6 pieces of paper. It may not be white paper...meaning it's possible to get colored paper. On the top of each paper, on one side, there will be some typed writing...I think it was something regarding ethics and the proper use of scratch paper. It takes up about 1/5 of the page.

And I agree that you should get additional scratch paper during your break, even if you think you will have enough. Reading Comp and Quant Reasoning will probably use up a lot of paper. So plan on using up to 6 pieces of paper for the Nat. Sci and PAT. Then during your break, go and get six more pieces of paper. You will have to sign out for 6 more pieces of paper AND return all of the first 6, even if you didn't use it all.

BTW, you can have as many pencils as you request :)

And if I may be allowed to offer some advice, even though you didn't ask for it, you should only practice with 6 pieces of scratch paper at a time, and never write on your test material (if it is in paper-pencil format)...in order to best mimic your test environment.

Good luck.

So, the pencil and paper are allowed.. thats great news.. but Can I use the Paper to recreate the questions on PAT. For example, in the pattern folding questions, can I actually use the paper and recreate the question and then answer the question. Will it be OK to fold the paper like that ??
did any of you try this at the real DAT ? I find myself doing much better on the PAT part, if I use a paper rather than visualizing stuff in my brain. .
thanks for your great thread..

IntlMed said:
Can I use the Paper to recreate the questions on PAT. For example, in the pattern folding questions, can I actually use the paper and recreate the question and then answer the question. Will it be OK to fold the paper like that ??
did any of you try this at the real DAT ? I find myself doing much better on the PAT part, if I use a paper rather than visualizing stuff in my brain.

this may sound wrong, but it depends on your test center. I've heard of ppl not being able to tamper with their paper and/or screen, while in other centers (such as the one I took it), they didn't seems to care if you have ur fingers to the screen or if fold ur paper into airplanes. my center was really picky about the number of papers you can have at one time (4) and the number of pencils (2).

Eddie830 said:
this may sound wrong, but it depends on your test center. I've heard of ppl not being able to tamper with their paper and/or screen, while in other centers (such as the one I took it), they didn't seems to care if you have ur fingers to the screen or if fold ur paper into airplanes. my center was really picky about the number of papers you can have at one time (4) and the number of pencils (2).

i got 4 pieces of pink paper (it was in a booklet)
During tutorial i wrote down all math formulas
10 minutes of 15 minute break i erased all my work from science section (that way i didn't lose any formulas i had written by turning in the scratch paper)

Thank you so much for your input..
any other experiences ??? How did you really manage to draw so many mental images (if paper was not used) on the PAT questions and still retain sanity for the last two sections..
Personally I think I need a can of beer after every 15 PAT questions :laugh: