Another am I disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peaches44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application in the first cycle was tagged E-01 because your parents didn't attend college. That already indicates that you were, in the pool of medical school applicants, in the lowest socioeconomic status band. Did you answer the questions on your first AMCAS application about gov't benefits, work before age 18, how you paid for school? Did you list your parents names, occupations, living (y/n) and last school attended? If so, the schools had the information they might be seeking to paint a picture of your circumstances growing up but couldn't filter the applications to pick you out of the crowd by the y/n toggle for "disadvantaged".

If you felt that you arrived at college with a disadvantage compared with your peers, then check the box. Describe the loss of your mom, your dad's early retirement from a job involving manual labor your work before age 18 to help support the household, your social security benefit, and that you grew up in a low income area which gave you a skewed perspective of the world until you went to college and realized that not everyone lived in the low resource setting that you grew up in.

Reactions: 1 users
I have read a lot of applications over the years, and agree that you likely fall into the category of "disadvantaged" given the details provided here. Check the box and write a short narrative describing the facts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your application in the first cycle was tagged E-01 because your parents didn't attend college. That already indicates that you were, in the pool of medical school applicants, in the lowest socioeconomic status band. Did you answer the questions on your first AMCAS application about gov't benefits, work before age 18, how you paid for school? Did you list your parents names, occupations, living (y/n) and last school attended? If so, the schools had the information they might be seeking to paint a picture of your circumstances growing up but couldn't filter the applications to pick you out of the crowd by the y/n toggle for "disadvantaged".

If you felt that you arrived at college with a disadvantage compared with your peers, then check the box. Describe the loss of your mom, your dad's early retirement from a job involving manual labor your work before age 18 to help support the household, your social security benefit, and that you grew up in a low income area which gave you a skewed perspective of the world until you went to college and realized that not everyone lived in the low resource setting that you grew up in.

Thank you for the advice. It’s weird going from thinking I had it better than a lot of people to realize that’s not the case. Perspective is everything. I really appreciate your willingness to help out!

I have read a lot of applications over the years, and agree that you likely fall into the category of "disadvantaged" given the details provided here. Check the box and write a short narrative describing the facts.

Thank you for the reply!