Another Amcas Ec Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear premed family,
Two questions about describing ecs in amcas:

1) Should we mention the training we went through for an experience? For example a volunteering training thing that I had to go through or better to leave out?

2) If we were admitted to a program or received a scholarship should we mention how competitive it was to get it? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2) If we were admitted to a program or received a scholarship should we mention how competitive it was to get it? thanks!

only if you know the numbers of how many applied and how many got in/got it. If you just say something like "extremely competitive" or "people from all over the country apply" then it just sounds lame. If you can say like "5 scholarships were awarded out of 5000 applications" then yeah, that's all good.

only if you know the numbers of how many applied and how many got in/got it. If you just say something like "extremely competitive" or "people from all over the country apply" then it just sounds lame. If you can say like "5 scholarships were awarded out of 5000 applications" then yeah, that's all good.

I agree. I would also briefly mention the selection criteria though (for example, chem majors with demonstrated academic excellence and financial need; or national competition vs. children of employees of company x). It'll give them a better idea of what the scholarship is and how competitive the selection process is.

In terms of the volunteer training question, I wouldn't talk about it in any detail (unless it was something unique and intensive, most aren't like this though). You could say something brief, like, "After being trained to do x,y, and z, I spent my volunteer time using my x,y,z skills in this capacity."
I did something like this to explain how I got my EMT certification and then how I used it. But, this isn't really necessary. If you're doing x,y, and z, it's assumed that you went through some brief training.