DO Another Annoying "Where Should I Apply" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharmanderMD

Lvl 15
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm conflicted.

I took the MCAT June 5th and still don't have my score. That being said, my application is complete and I'm just trying to decide where I want to apply.

Everyone always says apply to one just to get your app verified, but if I do that I'll be wasting money. Granted I'd only be wasting $15 or so but I'm poor as it is and this application stuff killing me.

My cGPA is a 3.59 and sGPA is 3.76 with a postbac GPA of 3.92. I have pretty good ECs: 2 years of a clinical job, hospital volunteering, and research. I'm a little lacking in terms of nonclinical volunteering.

I understand that having my MCAT out means a huge part of the puzzle is missing (it's devouring my soul as well) but I've come up with the following list:

PCOM, LECOM-E, WVSOM, VCOM-VC, Rowan, and NYIT-COM

I'm from a small city in central PA and don't really want to move too far (>6hrs) from home. Are there any schools you all think I should either add or take off? I have no idea how strong regional biases are for some of these schools: are any so strong that I shouldn't bother applying?

I originally also wanted to add MUCOM and Touro-NY. MUCOM requires biochem and sociology (wut?) so I'm not applying there. I'm really interested in Touro-NY but don't think I can find the funds to pay for the ridiculous $200 secondary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently waiting on a credit card in the mail to foot the bill for me to submit my app but as soon as I get them I'm going to launch it.

Members don't see this ad.

Write out the secondaries for ALL schools in the area and have a plan.

If MCAT is <23 go podiatry
>23 but <27 then LECOM-E, WVSOM, VCOM-VC and maybe even MU-COM if you can take those classes.
>27 All the schools.

That's just an example. Have a plan ready and be prepared for anything. Your GPA is good and an MCAT >26 will give you something good to work with.

I wasted the 30 days I had while waiting for my score thinking I got a 20 or something. That was precious time I could have spent writing secondaries. Learn from my mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
Write out the secondaries for ALL schools in the area and have a plan.

If MCAT is <23 go podiatry
>23 but <27 then LECOM-E, WVSOM, VCOM-VC and maybe even MU-COM if you can take those classes.
>27 All the schools.

That's just an example. Have a plan ready and be prepared for anything. Your GPA is good and an MCAT >26 will give you something good to work with.

I wasted the 30 days I had while waiting for my score thinking I got a 20 or something. That was precious time I could have spent writing secondaries. Learn from my mistake.

What are your opinions about Rowan? If I get a 27+ would I still have a shot or does bein OOS shoot me in the foot?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your opinions about Rowan? If I get a 27+ would I still have a shot or does bein OOS shoot me in the foot?

I didn't interview there so I don't know much about ROWAN. I have HEARD it's a solid school.

I believe they have taken 87% IS in the past. ~ 3.6/28 are the average stats.

27-28 would be on the lower end as a OOS but it's possible.

What were you averaging on AAMC average tests and how did you feel post-test? FWIW, i took it june 5th as well (retake).

What were you averaging on AAMC average tests and how did you feel post-test? FWIW, i took it june 5th as well (retake).

Average of 10 on PS. Felt like crap when I finished the section though.

VR was all over for me. Ranged from 8-12 on practices. I was so shaken up by the PS section though that I'm guessing this will be closer to the 8.

BS I was averaging in the 10-11 range but I felt REALLY good about this section on the test.

So basically I have no idea how I'll do. Expecting between a 26 and 32.

VR was all over for me. Ranged from 8-12 on practices. I was so shaken up by the PS section though that I'm guessing this will be closer to the 8.

BS I was averaging in the 10-11 range but I felt REALLY good about this section on the test.

Most everyone thought the PS was very tough. The VR was up and down for me as well. I'm hoping for an 8... I think BS went well for me as well. But you never know about these things.

Nonetheless, it looks like you have a shot at getting a score that is competitive for most schools. You can't submit your primary until you have a score, right? Or can you?

Most everyone thought the PS was very tough. The VR was up and down for me as well. I'm hoping for an 8... I think BS went well for me as well. But you never know about these things.

Nonetheless, it looks like you have a shot at getting a score that is competitive for most schools. You can't submit your primary until you have a score, right? Or can you?

I think you can. As soon as I finished the application my "pay and submit" button filled in. I just entered the June 2014 MCAT as "planned." I've literally been waiting for this credit card for 20 days now though so there's a good chance I'll get my score before I can even submit :annoyed:.

Gotcha.

Anyway, I think you should apply to more schools (if you can $$$). I applied to 8 schools for now and will consider adding more high tier schools if my score comes out well and few lower tier schools if it didn't turn out as well as expected. FWIW, 3.7cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 27 (11/6/10) MCAT

Gotcha.

Anyway, I think you should apply to more schools (if you can $$$). I applied to 8 schools for now and will consider adding more high tier schools if my score comes out well and few lower tier schools if it didn't turn out as well as expected. FWIW, 3.7cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 27 (11/6/10) MCAT

Ah so you're already in a pretty good place. Hopefully that retake will fix your 6 then you'll be golden!

I applied to 16 MD schools as well and I'm not sure I'll be able to swing 20+ secondaries or the cost of applying. Also, I've kind of run out of options in the Northeast and can't really see myself leaving the general area. Although I'm sure I'd love the west coast...

Ah so you're already in a pretty good place. Hopefully that retake will fix your 6 then you'll be golden!

I applied to 16 MD schools as well and I'm not sure I'll be able to swing 20+ secondaries or the cost of applying. Also, I've kind of run out of options in the Northeast and can't really see myself leaving the general area. Although I'm sure I'd love the west coast...

If that score comes out around 26-28, you should definitely make your app more DO heavy and get rid of some MDs. A score in that range is just too low to risk applying to take many MDs and very few DOs.

Are you URM?

If that score comes out around 26-28, you should definitely make your app more DO heavy and get rid of some MDs. A score in that range is just too low to risk applying to take many MDs and very few DOs.

Are you URM?

Nope, not URM. I qualified for FAP for MD schools so it'd be dumb for me not to use it for all 15 schools.

Reactions: 1 user

When I took it I had shell shock after the PS as well. I was morally destroyed. I ended up getting the exact same score that I got on my practice exams. I took a break and then came back and felt like I destroyed the verbal section - like it felt so easy and I finished so early. I got one point lower than my normal score. BS felt exactly the same as my practice tests so I felt good. I ended up getting 2 points lower.

Truth be told, you really have no clue how well you did haha. Feeling are unfortunately a horrible gauge of how well you did. But I would still assume you did +/-2 from your practice tests. So hopefully if you are rocking near a 30, you would have a shot at almost any DO school in the country.

Reactions: 1 users
Well the MCAT score is in: 29 (7PS/10VR/12BS).

I'm content with the 29 but not with that 7. I thought I'd at least cross the 8 threshold and was anticipating a 9 or 10. Will that 7 cause schools to auto-reject me?