Another back door way opened to becoming a US doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NRAI2001 said:
Cornell for example i think they opened a med school in Dubai and its primarily marketed/directed towards american kids who plan to practice in america. So if they are soley out to spread knowledge why not just open up those extra seats in your own med school?

Unfortunately you are sadly misinformed. It's in Qatar, as someone else pointed out.

Weill in Qatar was designed for pumping more doctors into Qatar, not for Americans who couldn't cut it to an American school. It isn't "yet another Caribbean". I actually got a job as a premed TA there, but turned it down. It's a great program and no wonder the entrance stats are high. I was told that graduates would have no problems getting residencies at Cornell's New York Presbyterian or associated hospitals. It's about spreading knowledge around the world. Doctors are needed everywhere, and an oil-rich country like Qatar can afford to establish a medical school under the aegis of a prestigious American school.

Members don't see this ad.

anon-y-mouse said:
Unfortunately you are sadly misinformed. It's in Qatar, as someone else pointed out.

Weill in Qatar was designed for pumping more doctors into Qatar, not for Americans who couldn't cut it to an American school. It isn't "yet another Caribbean". I actually got a job as a premed TA there, but turned it down. It's a great program and no wonder the entrance stats are high. I was told that graduates would have no problems getting residencies at Cornell's New York Presbyterian or associated hospitals. It's about spreading knowledge around the world. Doctors are needed everywhere, and an oil-rich country like Qatar can afford to establish a medical school under the aegis of a prestigious American school.

Yea maybe i was misinformed. My friend was interested in the program and he described it to me as a Carribean style program.

But there are many other countries who do have carribean style programs: UK, Ireland, Australia, Poland, India, South America.......etc

This is only showing some people's bigotry towards the whole issue- Firstly, no doctor is going to be granted licensure without USMLE.

Secondly, I think the world has reached a point where countries need each other for different issues- so if foreign doctors come to the states, american companies have huge markets in Asia- so is it fair to say we shd all retract back to our original countries and stop all forms of international exchange.

Biologically its survival of the fittest- so fight it out without cribbing!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is only showing some people's bigotry towards the whole issue- Firstly, no doctor is going to be granted licensure without USMLE.

Secondly, I think the world has reached a point where countries need each other for different issues- so if foreign doctors come to the states, american companies have huge markets in Asia- so is it fair to say we shd all retract back to our original countries and stop all forms of international exchange.

Biologically its survival of the fittest- so fight it out without cribbing!

Ah,

With this thread it may have been better to let sleeping dogs lie.

If its a free market then there should be no problems. Patients would go to docs they feel more comfortable with and the other docs would be out of business.

I think you have a very distorted view of what berkeley is like, its not the 70s in berkeley anymore.

Sure seems like berkeley is stuck in the 70s from when I visited last year...Walking all up and down their main street all I saw was hippies, all I could smell was burned incense, all they really had to sell were hemp-based products and retro paraphenalia.

Maybe berkeley isn't completely unchanged from the 70s, but it seems to me like a lot more has changed everywhere else but berkeley since then.

Medical schools in Qatar, India or wherever else mentioned in the article are not LCME schools, no matter who actually owns them. LCME includes Canada, PR, and the 125-ish MD schools here as well as the DO schools. That's it. EVERYBODY else is an FMG, and has to go through hell to land an American residency. And trying to actually practice here without an American residency? Forget about it.

Even if they went to friggin' Oxford, graduated first in their MBBS class, and are 10 years post-residency, they have to jump though all these hoops to practice here. So, don't worry, MacGuyver, your job is safe.

Now one reason we have these restrictions on FMGs is because other countries do the same thing. An American trying to practice in Britain has to go through similar hell. It would be nice to see a NAFTA-style arrangement between all industrial countries with reputable medical schools to do away with some of these artificial barriers...

Listen, you brain-dead three-toothed redneck bigot punk. You can take your "middle eastern cesspool" and shove it up your Cletus-reamed ass. You want to sing "America the Beatiful" while ****ting on middle easterners, the infantry is hiring. We don't need you and your lone brain cell in medicine -- the rattling sound coming from your skull distracts us.

I rise in support of my good friend MacGyver. "Cesspool" is a fairly accurate description of much of the Middle East, a region in which I did actually spend a little time as an infantryman.

Why are you busting down on the infantry? It is a difficult job that requires skill, courage, discipline, and the kind of selflessness that is in short supply in most other professions. I'd take 100 Marine infantryman over 100 of the typical dinguses for which medical schools seem to select.

I want you to announce, in a loud voice, your antipathy to our fighting men and see how many of your attendings were ex-Marines, soldiers, or Navy corpsmen.

I can't believe that future doctors are capable of such hate.

Medicine is not a cult. I'm an American first, not a physician. I'd have no problem deporting some of the more venemous imported doctors and medical students I have encountered.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism blah blah blah." The old-fashioned kind of patriotism aint bad either.

THis thread is ******ed........someone please shut it down.

Ah,

With this thread it may have been better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Can't say it better myself. While a few things were overlooked for moderation this thread is old and was bumped. Either continue with a rational and professional discussion on the original topic or this thread WILL be closed.

Thanks! :)

Within 10 years, a large percentage of the North American population will be over 65. This, in itself, will place hugh demands on our healthcare system and resources....not to mention the cost factor. The question is, where will the money come from?
Perhaps we should be thinking of ways to promote lifestyle changes through wellness programs which will help decrease the demand for healthcare resources in the future.

Within 10 years, a large percentage of the North American population will be over 65. This, in itself, will place hugh demands on our healthcare system and resources....not to mention the cost factor. The question is, where will the money come from?
Perhaps we should be thinking of ways to promote lifestyle changes through wellness programs which will help decrease the demand for healthcare resources in the future.

So that we can postpone people getting sick? They'll all get sick eventually, regardless of how healthy, the question is really what age. From a purely economic point of view, everyone who knocks off at 65 doesn't live long enough to get alzheimer's and a heart attack at 85. Lifestyle changes don't save money unless they come with less treatment when you actually get sick.

So that we can postpone people getting sick? They'll all get sick eventually, regardless of how healthy, the question is really what age. From a purely economic point of view, everyone who knocks off at 65 doesn't live long enough to get alzheimer's and a heart attack at 85. Lifestyle changes don't save money unless they come with less treatment when you actually get sick.

It's not the people that "knock off at 65" who cost the healthcare system so much money. Think of the person who strokes out at 55, stops working and therefore paying taxes/contributing to the economy, goes through expensive rehab, in and out of the hospital for years with aspiration pneumonias because he can't handle his secretions, and finally succumbs to sepsis 20 years later. Or the poorly controlled diabetic who goes blind from retinopathy and starts hemodialysis in his mid 50's -- same situation, and of course medicare pays for dialysis.

It's not the people that "knock off at 65" who cost the healthcare system so much money. Think of the person who strokes out at 55, stops working and therefore paying taxes/contributing to the economy, goes through expensive rehab, in and out of the hospital for years with aspiration pneumonias because he can't handle his secretions, and finally succumbs to sepsis 20 years later. Or the poorly controlled diabetic who goes blind from retinopathy and starts hemodialysis in his mid 50's -- same situation, and of course medicare pays for dialysis.

I'll start this with the disclaimer that I think we should try and cure people.

It's really no different than the person who strokes out at 75 and does the same thing. That's really my point. From an individual perspective, prevention makes a lot of sense, as 20 extra years of life is a good thing. From a public health perspective (when the government is paying the bill), getting sick is getting sick, and it will cost what it costs when it happens. For every stroke out at 55 that lives to 75, another 10 will die within the next 10 years and not collect social security, while simultaneously avoiding 20 more years of other medical issues followed by the same strokeout.

I'm not advocating anything I said above as public health policy. I'm just pointing out that prevention as a cost saving public healthy measure is bogus. To save money, you have to offer fewer things to fewer people.