Another bad grade.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medic171

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I screwed up again. Getting a 2.0 in physics. That brings my science gpa down to a 3.1, overall 3.4. I am cutting back my work hours, my grades are more important. I'll have to get another loan. Seriously, in your opinion, if I do ok on the mcat and my remaining science classes am I still competitive, or should I start looking at other options while I can? Most of you know my other experience as a paramedic, and you recall that work and marriage earned me a bad 2.5 in gen chem 2 over the summer. I am also concerned because in community college I had a 3.8, and it has dropped to the above gpa at the university. In my experience, CC was easier than University work, and in CC I was not married. Sorry for the stat posting, but I really am discouraged and I need honest opinions. I am not disadvantaged or a URM, so my experience, education, and working through college are all I have. Thanks for listening to me whine and posting your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have good explanations for your slip in grades, then you can include them in your application. Indeed, get some good scores on the MCAT because that only strengthens your app. IMO, the admissions offices I have come across are pretty understanding about hardships, but it is up to you to convey what happened to them. I still think with your GPA and a very good set of scores, at least at the average of the schools you're interested in, you stand a good opportunity. Don't start looking for fallbacks yet, hang on to your dream and focus how to get there.

hello medic,

from an admissions standpoint, they're going to see you're downward trend and wonder whats going on with this applicant. I think you should try to regroup and do well on the mcat and take some higher level courses so that you can redeem yourself and show to them you are able to handle the rigors of medicine. About your concerns, about thinking about other options, I guess thats only a decision you can ultimately make in terms of what kind and how much sacrifice you're willing to make to get into medical school. Is not gettting, perhaps, the first time enough for you to recondsider or what are you're limits..you ultimately will have to make those decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medic 171,

Don't sweat your poor physics grade too much. This year is my first applying and I have been pretty successful so far with multiple interviews and an acceptance from UNE. What is even more ironic is that I failed 1st semester chemistry TWICE and then passed it with a C. My science GPA is below a 3.0 and I have had success (My overall GPA is a 3.2).

Keep things in perspective and continue to work hard. It is important to start emphasizing an upward trend, but it sounds like you have a lot going for you. Things might take you a little longer than you would like, but it will pay off in the long run.

May I ask..to those of you kind enough to reply with your stories of acceptance with similar grades....are you applying "normal", URM, or disadvantaged? I ask because I am not a URM, so my grades, medical experience, and maturity are all I have. I just don't want to waste time if my chances are slim, but you are are encouraging me to keep going.

I am a bit new to this site, so I am not certain what defines "URM". I can say that I am about as normal as can be expected. I do not have any disadvantaged status or minority standing. My profile highlights are: academic progression throughtout my BS degree (major:exercise science), minimal graduate work (discontinued because I did not like GW), three years of medical experience (both administrative and clinical), and extracurricular activities throughout undergraduate studies and post graduation. I feel that I am a mature individual with a good perspective of modern medicine. My grades, while not what I would consider med school worthy, substantially improved after starting out dismally. My MCAT score was a 9-v, 9-p, 10-b.

I certainly did not expect to go to Hopkins or Stanford, but I also did not expect the type of interest I have received. There are a number of schools who look at the entire applicant, so rest assured you will not always be viewed in statistical terms. My feelings are that those schools (the UNEs etc...), may be better to attend simply because teaching medicine and producing quality physicians is their number one priority.

I hope I have helped as there appear to many similarities between our profiles.

where is UNE, I have not heard of that school??

of course, it just was not registering.