Another bothersome chance thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCheburashka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during undergrad I didn't perform so hot, I finished with a ~3.1ogpa and ~2.8sgpa. I should mention that my trends in grades are very inconsistent. I would have a 3.1 one semester, a 3.5 the next, a 2.8 the next, a 3.2 the next and so on.. During my time in undergrad I did some shadowing ~100hrs and 200+hrs volunteering in a hospitals dental clinic. Also maybe worth mentioning I took pretty much every upper level science course offered, anatomy, physio, biochem, micro bio, genetics, etc. Senior year I took the DAT and the break down is as follows: 20AA, 19TS, 19 Gchem, 19Ochem, 21 QR, 20 PAT, 21 RC. After undergraduate I went into a biomedical science masters program where I picked up a job with leadership qualities and began doing research in an orthopaedics lab(good chance of publication down the road). My first semester in the masters I took 11 credits and got a 2.5 (I was going through some very personal issues that I cannot voice to adcoms), the second semester I took 13 credits and got a 3.75. This only brings me to a ~3.15 overall. I have one more semester ahead of me but alas it is only 6 credits so it will not hold much weight. With A's in my final 2 courses id finish with a ~3.3. I would like to know how my application might be viewed by schools. I think I have a unique and strong personal statement as well as some decent letters. I applied pretty broadly this cycle to 13 schools. If I manage to get no acceptances this cycle what would be your suggestions for next time? I barely studied for the DAT(2 weeks tops) so if I had to retake it I don't think a high score 22/23+ is out of the question. /rant. Let me know your thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

When you say a finish with a 3.3 gpa, is that with your undergrad included or is that your masters gpa? Tbh schools kinda want to see students who struggled in undergrad, do super well in a masters program to show they can handle dental school. Either way if you retook the DAT and got a 22/23 I think you would get interviews somewhere! My suggestion would be to retake the DAT, even though your current scores are not bad at all, a higher DAT could offset a lower GPA! Keep fighting though, there is hope!! I struggled in undergrad as well (3.2 sgpa) and did okay on the DAT (21) and alot of people told me to not apply this year....I already have 2 interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
It would be a
When you say a finish with a 3.3 gpa, is that with your undergrad included or is that your masters gpa? Tbh schools kinda want to see students who struggled in undergrad, do super well in a masters program to show they can handle dental school. Either way if you retook the DAT and got a 22/23 I think you would get interviews somewhere! My suggestion would be to retake the DAT, even though your current scores are not bad at all, a higher DAT could offset a lower GPA! Keep fighting though, there is hope!! I struggled in undergrad as well (3.2 sgpa) and did okay on the DAT (21) and alot of people told me to not apply this year....I already have 2 interviews!

It would be a 3.3 in the masters. Its really unfortunate first semester happened like it did. After enough research into my transcripts they'd know Im capable of strong grades its just these inconsistencies look awful and drag down my numbers. I was almost ready to give up entirely after that first semester but here I am. Willing to shoot my shot and would do so again. Thanks for the advice, it seems improving my DAT would be the most promising move :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake your DAT, I think its pretty unlikely that you'll get in this cycle; but no one really knows.

Retaking your DAT is probably your best shot at ever being able to get in if you don't make it in this cycle.

It would be a

It would be a 3.3 in the masters. Its really unfortunate first semester happened like it did. After enough research into my transcripts they'd know Im capable of strong grades its just these inconsistencies look awful and drag down my numbers. I was almost ready to give up entirely after that first semester but here I am. Willing to shoot my shot and would do so again. Thanks for the advice, it seems improving my DAT would be the most promising move :)
Trends are also a huge factor to ADCOMS. So I really think that if you had a strong upward trend your last couple of semesters and retook the DAT you would get interviews next cycle