Another bump in the road, any advice? (UCSF)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundevil1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I applied to UCSF I realized I was at a pretty big disadvantage because I applied as out of state resident and submitted my primary just weeks before the deadline. I was happy to get the secondary in mid-december and sent it back ASAP. Today I get an email asking to call the admissions office. I call and it turns out they have my rec. letters but never received my secondary. This is just because I called a few days earlier checking my status cause I never got one of those complete or incomplete postcards back otherwise who knows how much longer it could have gone on. Do you guys think at this point it is worth it for me to send it the secondary? I think this has only worstened my odds of an interview let alone admission. Should I just not resubmit the secondary and save the 40 bones? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know their timeline, but I think $40 is a pretty small amount to have a chance at a school you like. I'd send it in.

Personally, I would go ahead and send the secondary again. Like Jamier2 said, what's another $40 after all of the money I'm sure you've already spent on this whole process? If UCSF is a school you would seriously consider attending, I think the minimal cost of the seconday would be worth the chance of getting accepted. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Jamier and Hoosier(who's there?). 40 bucks isn't much, I'll probably send it in. Every application is just so draining, mentally, the waiting just kills me and knowing that it could be another couple of months from now makes it that much harder. Of course, if I had even one acceptance things would be much easier.

Sundevil,
UCSF is the type of school which will give you an interview really quickly. I think they have basically prescreened the applicants by the time they send the secondary, and they know who will get an interview. Their secondary doesn't have any questions, so it can't be a big factor. So if you really like the school send it in anyways. By now $40 should be pocket change compared to the cost of this whole process.
Godd luck!

Well I got put on hold for an interview after I submitted the secondary, possibly to hold interview space for you :)

Would they email you and tell you to send in the secondary if they weren't paying attention to you? Think about it.

Send the secondary, plus a letter to the committee explaining that you sent the first one back immediately after receiving it, how much going to UCSF means to you, and that as a result you would greatly appreciate if they would consider expediting the evaluation of your application.

I don't know how receptive the admissions staff is, but you may want to call in a few days to make sure it got there, then tell them that the first one was lost, so could they make sure it gets looked at quickly.

Is UCSF rolling? If not, then ignore this post completely, and just send it in!!