Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

another chances thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Coolio30, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member

I have posted this in the MCAT forum previously but I am looking for a greater number of people to help me make a decision on retaking or applying with my current stats.

MCAT: 27 (10V, 9B, 8P)
    GPA: 3.9 (science and non)
    NJ resident
    looking to get into any allopathic school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

You don't need to retake, assuming the rest of your application is as strong as your GPA and you apply to a sufficient number of wisely chosen schools.

4. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member

are you a URM livin' in a gangsta's paradise?

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    looks good. Apply early and to a wide range of schools...and the more you apply to, the better chance you have. :)

6. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by scootad.:
    <strong>are you a URM livin' in a gangsta's paradise?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LMFAO that's actually a very good question.

7. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    If you have strong EC's, and a strong personal statement then you don't have to retake..

8. Street Philosopher

Retake and have wider options (if you think you can improve.)

You have a good chance to get in even with the 27, but getting a 30 will make things a whole lot easier I think.

Damn I think I broke my own rule not to answer 'chances' questions.

9. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member

unfortunately, i am an asian living in a GANGSTA'S PARADISE

10. SnudgeMuffin

SnudgeMuffin Senior Member

If you are looking to get into any allopathic schools, I think you have a very good shot. Go check out UMDNJ-NJMS website. The average GPA and MCAT for accepted students are ~3.4 and ~9 on each section of the MCAT. You are on par with your MCAT score and above their avg with your GPA. I say apply. But I agree with Street Philosopher that if you think you can improve significantly, you might have a shot at some top schools by retaking the MCAT though painful. Good luck! :)